June 2012 Sales Results

Looks like this is the first month that fully reflects Ranger kicking the bucket. Solid month overall.

Ranger fans sure didn't move over to the TC as its sales dropped year over year. Maybe F-Series, but hard to prove. Looks like Ranger fans have moved onto Toyota, Nissan, and maybe GM.

• Like 2

DTS and STS both discontinued. That's over 10k units right there.

Yep, Cadillac this year has basically been selling CTS and SRX only. XTS and ATS should kickstart sales a bit. XTS sales figures will be interesting in a couple months as compared to MKS.

• Like 1

Also, in 2011 both GM and Chrysler were still suffering from plenty of post-bailout backlash, which has since softened. I'll take Ford's steady gains over the last few years than the roller coaster ups and downs that the other players have been posting.

Ford has sold over 200,000 vehicles last two months. Since Ford only produces about 650,000 vehicles/quarter, Ford is basically selling what they make with little left over in inventory. Bill Brown Ford, one of Ford's highest volume Ford dealers in country, has a very meager inventory that I have never seen so low even during the the depths of recession. 200,000-220,000/month in sales is the maximum Ford can do with its production capacity at this time.

If you take out Ranger and Crown Vic they're up 13%.

Lincoln sales are hanging in there as their slow sales have seemed to bottom out. Who knows what Lincoln could do when new MKZ arrives and dealers get an MKEscape. Also see that Metropolitan Lincoln in Garden City, MI has closed and most of the sales staff moved to Hines Park Lincoln that is getting all new Lincoln spec store this fall. I figured the loss of Mercury would doom that Lincoln dealership. Hines Park Lincoln will become a very high volume Lincoln store with its all new look, loss of Metropolitan, and pick up of even more A,Z business from Dearborn and Ford Tier One workers getting lots of overtime bucks.

Ranger fans sure didn't move over to the TC as its sales dropped year over year. Maybe F-Series, but hard to prove. Looks like Ranger fans have moved onto Toyota, Nissan, and maybe GM.

Well no real bump in Tacoma 11,864

Bottom line is stop looking at what was lost, focus on the gains in SUVs like Escape and Explorer

Ford today is far more efficient than it was 12-18 months ago with those older BOF vehicles.

Edited by jpd80

Amazing how many still look at sales and think Ford is somehow losing by not coming first,

getting a better average transaction price per vehicle is a far better use of resources.

We used to bash Ford for empty fleet sales yet other brands get a pass because they beat Ford..

I think these numbers are fantastic. I do not care 1 iota about the sales numbers of the others. Kevin O'Leary is my hero: "I only care about 1 thing: MAKING MON-EY". That's it. It's the ONLY reason for Ford to exist. You maximize profit to the extent possible. And ROI/ROE is a MUCH more important goal than the absolute numbers. Thus: Making $4B profit on a 10% margin is better than $5B on a 7.5% margin. Sure, that extra billion is an extra billion, but you're doing SOMETHING more inefficiently to get it. And that's bad news that will bite you in the ass at some point. Make a quality vehicle, constantly improve them and only produce what you can sell. If you need to produce more and hold the margin, then you do it. (i.e., Fusion).

I do like the MoM #'s on the Mustang--that gets my attention. And the #'s on the F-series never cease to amaze me.

Also, in 2011 both GM and Chrysler were still suffering from plenty of post-bailout backlash, which has since softened. I'll take Ford's steady gains over the last few years than the roller coaster ups and downs that the other players have been posting.

Just another example of americans trading principles for incentives... Gross.

I wonder what the breakdown is 2012 vs 2013 on Escape sales - Is it fire sale on the 2012, the 2013 is that hot, or a little of both.

From autonews.com USA sales report ..........

The Ford Escape had its best month ever -- up 28 percent -- with 40 percent of that coming from the redesigned 2013 model.

From autonews.com USA sales report ..........

The Ford Escape had its best month ever -- up 28 percent -- with 40 percent of that coming from the redesigned 2013 model.

Thanks for finding that! I saw three Kugas in the last two days (It's not unusual to see new Fords on 94 in SW MI), one dealer, the others private. The White Platinum color is a very nice color on it.

Fusion and MKZ still selling well even though Hermosillo is probably at max production.

Sales will no doubt increase significantly when Flat Rock eventually comes on line.

How good are F Tuck sales, 55,000 and promise of more to come.

Explorer at 14,000 sales, buyers are steadily increasing.

Just another example of americans trading principles for incentives... Gross.

Oh, I think the bail outs are now well and truly off the radar, GM and Chrysler are back to making

as many vehicles as possible and pushing excess stock with good incentives and lease plans

Malibu 0$ down, $139/mth for 24 months - that's very attractive but will hurt resale values...

I think this was the big problem with the decision.

You can fault the execution of, for instance, the MFT, but the reasoning behind it is sound. The DCT, OTOH, seems to have been rationalized into production. Would not be surprised if the MCE of the Focus introduces a conventional automatic.

Whats really wrong with it though? It seems like such a sweet transmission that can rev-match better than the professionals with faster, and more consistent shifts. From what I heard, the problem was the "roughness" which has been fixed by software. Are they still having problems with that thing or what?

I think if they change it out, it'll have to be for an 8-speed auto. It seems the 8 speed's increased ratios could help with rev-match for less "hunting" thus saving more fuel. Going with a 6-speed converter box just seems like a small step backwards.

Edited by GT-Keith
  • Like 1

The problem is that it was pitched as an automatic but does not behave like an automatic.

My SWAG speculation is that this is pretty much how FoE engineers pitched this solution to Ford's product development Brahmins, and that the PD execs bought the argument without testing it. Possibly they were short on time, who knows?

At any rate, FoE developed and sold Ford management on a solution that was not well matched to NA buyers, and one hopes that Ford PD has learned from this and will not be repeating the error.

Edited by RichardJensen