2013 GT 500 vs. 2012 ZL1

Hugh

3.31:1 is "tall" gearing? :headscratch:

And when was the last time you heard anyone say they went with "taller" gears to get a "stunning" 0-60 time?

What the Ford gains in perception, it loses in drivability thanks to a tall 3.31 rear-end gear that allows it to reach 60 mph in 1st gear and claim a top speed over 200 mph. This gearing is purely a marketing tool designed to achieve stunning 0-60 numbers and a headline-worthy top speed.

And when was the last time you heard anyone say they went with "taller" gears to get a "stunning" 0-60 time?

Well, it does eliminate a shift in the 0-60 run.

I think Ford chose it to eliminate the gas guzzler tax more than anything, though.

All the other reviews have praised the drivability in the car, so these guys don't seem to have a clue.

My overall impression is this test is based on impressions. Quick to point out the Ford is a Shelby (So it's not a real Ford? BS...), ZL1 is the better driver but not that much except a over 1 g on the pad. Faint praise for Ford but this whole thing about punching above it's weight is a little thick methinks.

No lap times? No description of how each car handled the course? They don't even say which road course was used - was it the infield course or somewhere else? Where are the details?

This is fishy.

I'm hearing "rumors" that the Camaro ZL1 is quicker on road course than the new GT 500. Probably the super wide wheels/track especially in front and magnetic ride control. I'll still take the Boss Laguna Seca over both of them even if the ZL1 is faster.

I don't necessarily doubt that it might be quicker but I'd like to know how much quicker with more details.

If electronic suspension works that much better then maybe Ford needs to get it in the GT500.

The Magnetic Ride Control suspension is a GM patented design. I don't think they would allow Ford to use the technology.

The GT500 does have adjustable suspension but not nearly as advanced as on the ZL1.

The Magnetic Ride Control suspension is a GM patented design. I don't think they would allow Ford to use the technology.

The GT500 does have adjustable suspension but not nearly as advanced as on the ZL1.

Of course GM patented it, but that doesn't mean Ford can't build their own similar system. Something like the system on the new MKS would probably work well.

Ford has their own electronically controlled suspension on the new Lincolns. I'm sure it would work on the mustang if they wanted to use it.

I drove a 2012 camaro SS which I rented in Salt Lake while attending the Boss Track attack at MMP. I was not impressed.

A paddle shifted auto with 195 miles on it when I picked it up.

No, it did not have the ZL-1 motor. What it did have was a over sized shell and terrible visibility. In short, it was a pig. Backing out of a diaginal parking spot with a vehicle to the right was a gamble at best. No side window in the C pillar left a huge blind spot. Backup camera did not cover the blind spot. Acceleration we poor with a less than desirable HP to weight ration. Highway driving impression swas OK. It drove like a sedan, not a sports car.

Can the ZL-1 cut a better corner than a Mustang?? Could be. With the 90+ horse power advantage the GT500 has alomg with lower GVW. GM needs to be careful where they test the ZL-1 against the Mustang. The Mustang will definately pull the ZL-1 off the corners. The .03 G difference will evaporate.

I really though I would be renting something which could compare to the Boss or GT mustang. Did not happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I do have to wonder about Ford's decision to go for the 200 mph mark, sure it's a first for a Mustang and a pony car, but isn't "track-car" a part of the new Mustangs DNA? It's curious that the biggest, baddest Mustang is the only one without cooling vents for it's front brakes in the lower front fascia. It would be easy enough for Ford to add a lower front fascia that has front brake cooling vents and duct work as an option. I also wonder if Ford isn't throwing GM a bone on this one, they know that they aren't doing enough to cool the front brakes to keep them consistent for multiple laps on a track, why was that decision made?

Edited by meyeste

• 3 months later...

I do have to wonder about Ford's decision to go for the 200 mph mark, sure it's a first for a Mustang and a pony car, but isn't "track-car" a part of the new Mustangs DNA? It's curious that the biggest, baddest Mustang is the only one without cooling vents for it's front brakes in the lower front fascia. It would be easy enough for Ford to add a lower front fascia that has front brake cooling vents and duct work as an option. I also wonder if Ford isn't throwing GM a bone on this one, they know that they aren't doing enough to cool the front brakes to keep them consistent for multiple laps on a track, why was that decision made?

The main knock against the GT 500 seems not to be its best lap time which is better than the ZL1, but that fact that it can't maintain those lap times after first lap, mostly because of overheating brakes, but also because of suspension that is not as good as ZL1. In a long road course race, GT 500 would fall back in pack with its track set up while the ZL1 would pull away significantly.

Ford must feel that most GT 500 buyers are only interested in fast straight line performance, hot qualifying lap, showing it off at car meets, and not much else. Maybe some DE events, but not much else. Even in DE events, you don't want overheating brakes after one hot lap. Not good for novice race drivers soloing for first time. Ford must feel that GT 500 buyers wouldn't risk their new ride on any road race course. But a few will buy a $150,000 Porsche GT3 RS and DE it at high speed. And it's built to race lap after lap without anything overheating. The Camaro is built to race lap after lap with consistent lap times along with the Corvette. I've seen the Mustang Laguna Seca turn in lap after lap at Waterford Raceway with consistent lap times without any histrionics. So Ford must think the GT 500 buyer is different.