The Siri button comes to all cars, except Ford.

It is really hard for me to believe that a person would base a decision on buying a car on something so trivial, but I guess it's that important to some people. I doubt a single person I know would care enough to not buy a car based on not being able to control a phone app. And that is all Siri is, a fancy app.

• Like 1

It is really hard for me to believe that a person would base a decision on buying a car on something so trivial, but I guess it's that important to some people. I doubt a single person I know would care enough to not buy a car based on not being able to control a phone app. And that is all Siri is, a fancy app.

I agree. I love my Apple devices (iPhone & iPad) but it's not going to be the basis for my next car buying decisions.

• Like 2

Two things:

1) Also missing from the list are Hyundai/Kia.

2) Hat's off to Ford for not doing this.

I mean, let's look at what this really is:

- This is a button that will be utterly useless for a majority of smart phone users

- This is a button that Apple is not paying for, which will have to work to Apple's closed and proprietary specs (which means it can't be repurposed for anything else), and will be subject to Apple's whims. If, for instance, Apple chooses to drop support for this button, the backlash will impact car manufacturers who have absolutely no control over what the button does or whether it works or not.

----------

Apple would never consent to the installation of such a button on any of their devices, so it's pathetic for them to insist that this is anything but bad news for other car companies.

• Like 1

My mother bought a Neon instead of a Focus because she didn't like the triangular headlights.

I'm glad the people at Ford aren't tying themselves (down) to Apple. I prefer Android, anyway. (the VHS alternative to Apple's Betamax)

Eventually, I see them all going in a direction where the basic functions are handled by a core software, with the ability to alter the interface or "skins" (or possibly add more functions) by the end user.

Edited by RangerM

The only thing I do wish that Ford would incorporate into Sync is a way to run iTunes Genius on my iPod. It selects far better lists than the "Similar Music" button built in to Sync, which does nothing but choose songs based on the genre that is in the file tag. A somewhat trivial complaint, since I could just create playlists from Genius and play them that way, but ah well...

Siri in itself isn't a big deal, but voice commands are. It's just a chatter of time before "talking to your car" to do everything becomes the primary way you interact with your vehicle. Siri is one way to do it, I'm sure other companies will develop their own voice recognition software.

BTW, Apple didn't invent Siri, they just bought the company that developed it.

Siri in itself isn't a big deal, but voice commands are. It's just a chatter of time before "talking to your car" to do everything becomes the primary way you interact with your vehicle. Siri is one way to do it, I'm sure other companies will develop their own voice recognition software.

BTW, Apple didn't invent Siri, they just bought the company that developed it.

Doesn't Siri require a data link to operate though?

???? Fords (with Sync) already have similar functionality and so does Hyundai, ironically the two that are missing.

This is extremely trivial and only shows how big of an Apple apologist you are. Seriously, your car buying decision rests on a button. Does this Siri button give you better MPGs?

Edited by GT-Keith
  • Like 1

Siri does something fairly important that Sync doesn't, and that's speak and read text messages without looking at the phone. Not to mention other hands free voice control options that don't exist in any car system. Right now, if you press the Siri button on the phone, it will come through the cars system, but it doesn't work well and you have to handle your phone to do it.

And I don't need to explain that Ford's voice control system is extremely poor next to Siri, S-Voice, Google Voice, etc...

All the button is doing is letting Siri work with the iPhone's voice control system, how that is implemented doesn't require significant changes to the existing system other than recognizing that an iPhone is connected and I want to use Siri.

As for the importance of the feature, I would say it's critical to me and I don't expect everybody to understand why having the latest and greatest tech is paramount to my buying decision. Which is fine, Ford doesn't have to appeal to all consumers. Ironically, the reason I stayed with Ford is because they had the latest and greatest tech. But in the end, Ford has proven to be a very bad software developer and I just want to bypass the system to get to my phone, their integration isn't working well.

And just so you know, although iOS is my weapon of choice, I carry MANY Android devices in my arsenal, including the new Samsung Galaxy S III. But I have no expectation that Android voice systems will make it to cars due to fragmentation.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

I thought that the Ford system does read texts?

As long as the phone utilizes the MAP bluetooth profile, which most phones don't. I thought this was going to be a big deal for me when shopping for a new phone after getting my Edge, but in the end, do we need our car reading text messages to us while we drive? I can wait until I'm stopped somewhere to check my text messages. Everybody else should too.

Of course it does if the phone supports it. But that doesn't help his case.

It doesn't work with Android or iOS.

And while people shouldn't text while driving (and I don't), it still doesn't stop them. It's like saying we don't need safety features if people just drive my carefully. With Siri, especially if I'm on a long drive, I don't have to touch my phone at all to take care of texts.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

There are Android phones on the market that support MAP. Just not any of the ones I liked. I believe the Droid Razr does.

And while people shouldn't text while driving (and I don't), it still doesn't stop them. It's like saying we don't need safety features if people just drive my carefully. With Siri, especially if I'm on a long drive, I don't have to touch my phone at all to take care of texts.

Features shouldn't encourage bad behavior though. Seatbelts don't make me want to drive more recklessly just because I feel safer wearing one. :shrug:

And I don't need to explain that Ford's voice control system is extremely poor next to Siri, S-Voice, Google Voice, etc...

For being all high and mighty about Siri, you don't seem like you have a clue as to how it works...of course its going to work better then the Sync system because it has access to a bank of servers that can decifper what your saying!

All the button is doing is letting Siri work with the iPhone's voice control system, how that is implemented doesn't require significant changes to the existing system other than recognizing that an iPhone is connected and I want to use Siri.

So basically the button is nothing special...at the most it is a remote that could be implemented for less then $25 bucks? So tell me whats so special about this?

If texts were that important, wouldn't they be calls?

Wouldn't it be better for iOS to support MAP (a standard) instead of adding proprietary buttons to multiple makes of cars? It just doesn't make sense to add a button to a car for a specific phone. I'm glad Ford opted out of this one.

PS: My Samsung Focus Flash (Windows 7.5 Mango OS) will read my texts over BT, and even let me compose new ones. I haven't tried it with Sync yet, but it works fine with my old (6-7 years old) Plantronics Voyager head set.

...So tell me whats so special about this?

It's Apple-specific??

Edited by fordmantpw