Ford May 2012 Sales Figures

Solid month for pretty much everything really, except a handful of the older products that are due for refreshes soon. Even MKT and Flex saw some impressive increases. Very happy to see Mustang eclipse the 10K mark again!!

And looking at the numbers here and over the past several months, given the solid increases and strength in truck and utility sales, I would say Ford's overall projected loss in market share is not going to make a significant impact on revenues.

What's going on with the Flex -- sales up 40%? New front end make that big of a difference?

Fiesta is getting hurt by the incentives on the Focus, Fusion, and even Escape.

Will be interesting to see how the Escape does in months going forward as the older ones are starting to become harder and harder to come by.

• Like 1

What's going on with the Flex -- sales up 40%? New front end make that big of a difference?

Will be interesting to see how the Escape does in months going forward as the older ones are starting to become harder and harder to come by.

Eh, I wouldn't worry about Fiesta. It could simply just be settling into a natural volume position. Remember, when it was initially launched it was by most accounts a better vehicle than the outgoing Focus at the time . ~6000 units a month is likely well within the sustainable range. If it can maintain that, I don't see any cause for alarm.

As for Flex, most people do seem to prefer the refresh over the outgoing one, so maybe it didn't really take much to push some people into one. :shrug:

2013 Escapes were mixed in with May Escape sales numbers. There is still enough 2012 Escapes out there to post good June numbers. July could be iffy with 2013 Escapes needing another few months to build up inventory to choose from. Anyone note the excellent TC numbers? Maybe the death of the Ranger is helping TC numbers along with F-Series.

Eh, I wouldn't worry about Fiesta. It could simply just be settling into a natural volume position. Remember, when it was initially launched it was by most accounts a better vehicle than the outgoing Focus at the time . ~6000 units a month is likely well within the sustainable range. If it can maintain that, I don't see any cause for alarm.

As for Flex, most people do seem to prefer the refresh over the outgoing one, so maybe it didn't really take much to push some people into one. :shrug:

Now to figure out how MKT sales went from 300 to about 900. Maybe livery sales? Not often that the MKT almost sells as well as MKS.

April & May numbers should probably be looked at as a unit, given that Ford adjusted incentives upward in May after determining they were too conservative in April.

And, pardon me if I sound repetitive, but I don't care whether Ford falls short or overdoes it over short term periods. I just don't care. It's not significant. Doesn't matter.

What matters is that Ford continue to evaluate, adjust and refine their strategies at ALL levels of the business. From the co-op money they spend on ad all the way up to platform development and factory investment.

According to GM fans, it will be because Ford gave one away free, with every F-series purchase.

My local dealer is in awful shape on all cars. 0 Mustangs, 0 Fiestas, 0 Flex, 3 Fusion, 2 Focus. What they do have alot of are Escape and Superduty. They only have 5 F150's.

The Flex increase could be the last remaining ones being pushed up, coupled with the new ones going in, either way a good thing. My only real concern is with the loss of the CV, TC and Ranger, we are talking about upwards of 10-20K units a month that are being lost, what new products are they going to introduce to make up for those? I mean, they can't really depend on ALL their vehicles to "gain' from the loss of those vehicle sales.

The Flex increase could be the last remaining ones being pushed up, coupled with the new ones going in, either way a good thing. My only real concern is with the loss of the CV, TC and Ranger, we are talking about upwards of 10-20K units a month that are being lost, what new products are they going to introduce to make up for those? I mean, they can't really depend on ALL their vehicles to "gain' from the loss of those vehicle sales.

Well, Ford's sales aren't down 10-20K every month, so they've obviously recovered the volume already from somewhere. Heck, all of Mercury is gone. How will Ford ever get by without that volume? :unsure:

F Truck 54,836 (42,399) ( +29.3%)

E-Series 14,160

Transit Connect 3,937

Ranger 1,607

Sure it's great that cars and Utilities are pulling their weight but if F Truck sales

continue to rebound Ford will be pleased and bringing in solid profit.

Almost 2100 combined PI sedan and Ute and CV deliveries last month,

Good month for Edge, Flex and MKT - looks like OAP is busy too.

Combined total sales of 216,267 is a great result for Ford regardless of whether it was product constrained or not. :)

Edited by jpd80

Mustang outsells Camaro. When is the last time that happened? Are the 2013s finally showing up on dealer lots? Or was it incentives on the remaining 2012s?

Yes and yes. The first 2013 Mustang I saw on on the road was a rental. There are a lot of rental Camaros in SoCal too BTW.

Keep in mind that the sales numbers are for the nation and results will vary around the country based on differences in regional and local markets. Our May sales were VERY strong thanks to aggressive advertising that's been in place the past several months, including a new TV campaign, along with a very customer-friendly sales approach. We purchased a number of vehicles from other Ford stores instead of the usual "Dealer Swaps" in order to help maintain our inventory balance. Our Fiesta, Focus & Fusion inventory is lesws than half of what it was a month ago and we're now very concerned about our inventory for the summer months. Ford is consistently far too conservative in its production plans and its making it very difficult for Ford dealers to grow the business and gain market share.

I could have sold 20% more if I had them. I am scary short of Escape and Mustang. Future doesnt bode well for fixing these lines.

"fixing these lines"? What does that mean, availability I hope, as the Escape is new.

Edited by timmm55

Our Fiesta, Focus & Fusion inventory is lesws than half of what it was a month ago and we're now very concerned about our inventory for the summer months. Ford is consistently far too conservative in its production plans and its making it very difficult for Ford dealers to grow the business and gain market share.

A manager at the dealership where I bought my Fusion mentioned the same issue afflicts the Twin Cities region. Hopefully Ford's recently announced production hikes will amelioriate the situation.

"fixing these lines"? What does that mean, availability I hope, as the Escape is new.

I would say that numerous dealerships have approached Ford regarding supply issue and have

been told that there's not much Ford can do in the short term...Hence, Mulally's press release.

It's not as easy as adding a shift, Ford is supplier constrained at the moment on certain products

and will remain so through the summer but should start catching up by Q4 when sales fall back a bit.

None of which helps dealerships in a market hungry for products...

Edited by jpd80