At first glance you wouldn't think so but,

Would be Tundra buyers cross shop with Silverado and F truck, having an internal competitor keeping those sales

numbers low would have an influence on savvy truck buyers who know that Ford and GM trucks are more popular.

A lot of buyers then feel there's safety in numbers and head with the group to more popular trucks.

Don't underestimate the sheeple effect.

I don't think a potential Tundra buyer will switch to Chevy or Ford simply because of overall sales volume. If anything they might go the other way to have something a little more unique.

Ford made a decision to opt out of T6 ranger back in 2006, they knew six years ago that there would be no new Ranger.

Now, that's what i call a long term strategy and one aimed at supporting their comprehensive array of Utilities

which undoubtedly, draw higher ATPs and profit compared to a T6 Ranger in single and dual cab variants..

I believe they fully intended to keep making the NA Ranger back then. After all, sales of the Ranger were a lot higher as were sales in the market segment and Mulally had not mandated One Ford yet.

As sales dropped and Mulally changed the company's focus the Ranger became a lame duck with a viable replacement still years away. It's a lose/lose situation - keep making the Ranger at a loss just to keep customers in the fold or cut it off cleanly and put the resources into new products. They chose the latter. I still say we'll see a smaller more fuel efficient pickup within 2 years - just not clear what platform it will be based on.

I don't think a potential Tundra buyer will switch to Chevy or Ford simply because of overall sales volume.

Not on it own but the combined popularity and record makes them a great package, that's whay people cross shop

and why Toyota tundra never really lived up to the sales hype and production volume originally scheduled...

I believe they fully intended to keep making the NA Ranger back then.

I can tell you that was not the case with almost 100% assurity....(don't ask me how.:))

The US wanted a different sized truck that wouldn't fit under T6's envelope, so they pulled out early.

Does the cancellation of the Ranger suddenly make the Ram a better truck? Or a more appealing truck?

No sir! The only thing that will suddenly make the Ram a better or more appealing truck is a commitment from its manufacturer to improve it. For MY 2013, it looks like Chrysler has done exactly that.

• Like 2

Through April of 2011 Ford sold:

F-series 172,062

Rangers 17,831

Total: 189,893

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/05/april-2011-top-10-pickup-truck-sales-.html

Through April of 2012 Ford sold:

F-series 191,280

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/April12sales.pdf

Through April of each year...Ford has sold more F-series in 2012 than 2011 F-series and Rangers COMBINED.

• Like 1

As for the Fiesta, I am as baffled as anyone.

IMO, Ford has an option here. Do they really want to "own" the B segment or just have something available for the occasional customer?

If the answer is "yes" then bring the B-max to North America. It would blow away the competition in the B segment in NA.

I can tell you that was not the case with almost 100% assurity....(don't ask me how. :))

The US wanted a different sized truck that wouldn't fit under T6's envelope, so they pulled out early.

Ok, but they did intend to keep making a smaller truck of some sort. I just don't believe they decided to cancel the Ranger and leave that market way back then. It was too early for that.

IMO, Ford has an option here. Do they really want to "own" the B segment or just have something available for the occasional customer?

If the answer is "yes" then bring the B-max to North America. It would blow away the competition in the B segment in NA.

Good point, as the C Max is very limited by production constraints considering it comes in hybrid or energi only. Meanwhile, the Ford B segment stable could use another body style as in tall wagon. Either that or Ecosport which is a tall wagon also. 2016 is coming up fast, and B and C segment will rule in that environment where fleet average has to be over 35mpg. Right now, Ford's market share is stagnant and has been for some time now, and it's frustrating since Ford has such a great story to tell. Ford needs to expand its portfolio if it wants to get its fair share of expanding N.A. market. It can be done many ways...more body styles, or just bringing more of European portfolio here.

• Like 1

No sir! The only thing that will suddenly make the Ram a better or more appealing truck is a commitment from its manufacturer to improve it. For MY 2013, it looks like Chrysler has done exactly that.

Better and more appealing than the existing Ram, but not necessarily better or more appealing than the F-Series.

..."Sales of the Taurus fullsize sedan surged 29.5% to 7,211 units. Czubay says 34% of deliveries were the high-performance Taurus SHO version that is powered by a 3.5L direct-injected turbocharged EcoBoost engine."

Interesting tid-bit...

..."Sales of the Taurus fullsize sedan surged 29.5% to 7,211 units. Czubay says 34% of deliveries were the high-performance Taurus SHO version that is powered by a 3.5L direct-injected turbocharged EcoBoost engine."

Interesting tid-bit...

Ward's is including Police Interceptor's 500 and some odd sales in that figure, the official number for the Taurus is 6,664.

B and C segment will rule in that environment where fleet average has to be over 35mpg. Right now, Ford's market share is stagnant and has been for some time now, and it's frustrating.

35MPG unadjusted ~ 26MPG combined average adjusted. And the E85 credits remain in place for now.

Also, Ford's market share is capacity constrained. Not exactly a horrible problem to have.

35MPG unadjusted ~ 26MPG combined average adjusted. And the E85 credits remain in place for now.

Also, Ford's market share is capacity constrained. Not exactly a horrible problem to have.

Hmmm, Ford's own data raises questions with that line of argument. First, its inventories were up a bit: 66 days' supply in April, versus 58 days' worth in March. Second, and somewhat surprisingly, Ford's fleet sales were up in April relative to its total. Ford sales analyst Erich Merkle said on Tuesday that fleet sales represented 37% of its April totals. Seems to me that Ford could have sold more Fiestas, Escapes, Mustangs, Tauruses, MKZ's, and MKT's. For that matter, another few thousand more Fusions too. No shortage of Fusions on dealer lots around here. Shortage of Focus though, and Fiestas are in very plentiful supply. So a good month for Ford to me would have been about another 10,000 units sold.

Local dealer has $7700 on the hood of 2012 Rams, does that make them better?

Unless your adversaries are picking up all of the market increase... and with lower rebates..

FYI

Ford is planning to sell 278,000 EcoSports globally per year.

Hmmm, Ford's own data raises questions with that line of argument. First, its inventories were up a bit: 66 days' supply in April, versus 58 days' worth in March. Second, and somewhat surprisingly, Ford's fleet sales were up in April relative to its total. Ford sales analyst Erich Merkle said on Tuesday that fleet sales represented 37% of its April totals. Seems to me that Ford could have sold more Fiestas, Escapes, Mustangs, Tauruses, MKZ's, and MKT's. For that matter, another few thousand more Fusions too. No shortage of Fusions on dealer lots around here. Shortage of Focus though, and Fiestas are in very plentiful supply. So a good month for Ford to me would have been about another 10,000 units sold.

No it doesn't.

Fleet deliveries can fluctuate wildly from month to month based on contracts and delivery dates, and the change in inventory figures is useless without further information, such as Ford's expected March sales vs. actual sales, and their May marketing goals.

And good grief, 'A good month for me, would be 10,000 more sales.'

Cripes.

Easiest thing in the world to do is stand on the sidelines, turn up your nose and then sniff, "Mmm. Could've been better."

You gonna go to the Louvre, stand in front of the Mona Lisa and then turn up your nose and "Well, if he'd spent another month on it, he could've done better." You gonna critique Beethoven's Ninth the same way? "It would've been better if he wasn't deaf."

• Like 4

I don't think a potential Tundra buyer will switch to Chevy or Ford simply because of overall sales volume. If anything they might go the other way to have something a little more unique.

The Silverado can be had for $10,000 off sticker. The Tundra can not be bought with that much of a discount. Alreaday know a few [people who were looking at Tundra and disatisfied by Toyota dealer's atitiude and the price of a Tundra. Two bought a Chevrolet Silverado, one an F150.

Edited by CKNSLS

Through April of 2011 Ford sold:

F-series 172,062

Rangers 17,831

Total: 189,893

http://news.pickuptr...uck-sales-.html

Through April of 2012 Ford sold:

F-series 191,280

http://media.ford.co...pril12sales.pdf

Through April of each year...Ford has sold more F-series in 2012 than 2011 F-series and Rangers COMBINED.

Done. This is really all we ever need to know about the decision to kill the Ranger. The hand-wringing over lost potential Ranger buyers to Toyota is utterly overblown.