Fiesta I feel in this case is hampered by the Focus. Sub-compacts are hard sells because somewhere 'bigger is better'. That's a hard mindset to change. Now although Fiesta has been on these shores for 2 years, it's been in this form for almost 4 years. An MCE with EB10 and a improved D16 and ST varient will jump start sales. Perhaps content changes in mid-range models, focus on value (eg. This stuff in a small car?). I heard the Fiesta is 2013 and I heard a 2013 release as a 2014. The latter is too long IMO.

Fiesta MPG ratings are same as Focus, and it's really meant for city driving. So, in this case, bigger is better.

The real answer to economy is better mpg from "real cars", not just simply forcing people into tiny cars.

• Like 2

Just an interesting observation for discussion sake – Ford’s strategy to discontinue the Ranger – implying that customers will move up to the more fuel efficient F150 –

F-series sales numbers have not increased in proportion to the loss of Ranger sales. With Toyota coming up fast in third –looking to soon be in second, along with strong Dodge RAM sales, there is good reason to think these potential customers are going elsewhere.

Again, I am sure this it being talked about where it counts, in the conference room. In reading several articles last week about Ford’s reported profits, Ford admitted they underestimated the recovery of overall auto sales. Their leadership will again be tested to see how they deal with this.

• Like 2

Why would people be replacing the Ranger with a full size Dodge?

Also, who cares whether Toyota or Ford is in second place at year end. Does the "Winner of the sales race get(s) an extra billion dollars profit(!)"

I swear that's on a banner in the GM boardroom...

I must say, the Sonic numbers surprise me. That is a hideous looking vehicle, imo

The only really attractive vehicle in that class is the Fiesta. The Nissan Versa is ugly, in my opinion, but it seems to sell. People don't buy those vehicles for looks.

Fiesta MPG ratings are same as Focus, and it's really meant for city driving. So, in this case, bigger is better.

The real answer to economy is better mpg from "real cars", not just simply forcing people into tiny cars.

The Fiesta is as much a 'real' car as any other. It is not forcing anyone into a 'tiny' car. Fiesta is not that tiny, it's pretty much the same size interior as a 90's Civic. Cars overall have gotten bigger for good reason. When Fiesta was released here, the Focus was the last-gen so the Fiesta was an improvement and a sign of things to come. The D16 engine was pretty much carry-over (except Ti-VCT) with a better transmission (open for debate but the Powershift works well) and the direction was comfort and features opposed to use of space like the competition. The current space is ample for 2 adults and 2 children after they out-grown the prams and you can do day trips very well. Not just city driving.

Yes the Focus is overall better, the next MCE Fiesta will probably answer the FE question very well.

Just an interesting observation for discussion sake – Ford’s strategy to discontinue the Ranger – implying that customers will move up to the more fuel efficient F150 –

F-series sales numbers have not increased in proportion to the loss of Ranger sales. With Toyota coming up fast in third –looking to soon be in second, along with strong Dodge RAM sales, there is good reason to think these potential customers are going elsewhere.

Again, I am sure this it being talked about where it counts, in the conference room. In reading several articles last week about Ford’s reported profits, Ford admitted they underestimated the recovery of overall auto sales. Their leadership will again be tested to see how they deal with this.

Or - you could assume that the strong Dodge Ram sales scavenged F150 buyers and Ford replaced those buyers with former Ranger buyers.

Either way it's a silly comparison. Ford saves money every day by shutting down Ranger whether they sell more F150s or not.

Fiesta and Mustang needs updated ASAP.

I just don't think there is enough price differential between Fiesta and Focus, especially the $2,000 in rebates the Focus had in March. I know if I went into to buy Fiesta SE, and looked at sticker on Focus SE, I would opt for the Focus SE with about same fuel mileage, more room, bigger motor, and maybe a couple thousand more dollars. The Fiesta has been kind of marginalized by Focus.

• Like 2

Fiesta I feel in this case is hampered by the Focus. Sub-compacts are hard sells because somewhere 'bigger is better'. That's a hard mindset to change. Now although Fiesta has been on these shores for 2 years, it's been in this form for almost 4 years. An MCE with EB10 and a improved D16 and ST varient will jump start sales. Perhaps content changes in mid-range models, focus on value (eg. This stuff in a small car?). I heard the Fiesta is 2013 and I heard a 2013 release as a 2014. The latter is too long IMO.

With the new EB1.0 and maybe 34mpg city and 47mpg highway, and high gas prices, a MCE Fiesta could sell much better in comparison to Focus shopping both. Now there would be real differences between both as far as fuel mileage goes.

Basically everyday except Sundays and Holidays. But it does get adjusted at month beginnings and endings due to the desire, uh industry convention, of ending a sales month on a Monday.

Looking back to April last year, I guess we lost April 1,2,4 (to March) but gained May 2.

Excellent description, 03 LS! The convention of adjusting sales months to end on Monday (if the end of the calendar month is on a weekend) is a relic from the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA).

For April 2011, selling days were all days that month, minus the four Sundays, plus May 2 (since April 30, 2011 was a Saturday) for a total of 27.

For April 2012, selling days were all days that month, minus the five Sundays, minus April 2 (since March 31, 2012 was a Saturday) for a total of 24.

Why would people be replacing the Ranger with a full size Dodge?

Also, who cares whether Toyota or Ford is in second place at year end. Does the winner of the sales race get an extra billion dollars profit?

I see it more like a young truck guy evolves over time - Little Johnny gets a Ranger hand me down for his first truck. Then he wants to buy his own, and gets a Tacoma (because it has no real competition). Then moves up to the Dodge RAM where he may or may not cross-shop. Attracting and keeping young buyers is an important area often referred to in reading articles about the American auto industry, and a challenge facing Ford. I have owned 4 pickup trucks over my life time - all Fords, each one getting bigger and more feature rich - but I am more loyal than today's young consumer.

I am not debating, just discussing - Ford is selling at capacity and that is good! But, it was Ford who admitted last week that they could be selling more vehicles (I assume at a profit) had corporate demand forecast been more in order with what the market is actually doing.

I am glad to say that Ford is building vehicles that customers aspire to buy, rather than have to buy because they are cheap (like Hyundai). I understand this strategy is not going to lead to a sales crown.

As for the Fiesta, I am as baffled as anyone.

I also think the current Carl Edwards/Taurus commercials are excellent -

Carl Edwards (referring to voice commands): "...so I can keep my hands on the wheel?"

Somewhat scared female engineer: "...yes, and that is good thing when you are driving..."

As the SHO blasts around a corner smoking the tires. And that Taurus looks nice too!

Edited by Kev-Mo

A Capt at my base picked up a Toyota Crew Cab Tacoma at lunch today because the F-150 does not fit in his garage.

He just needs a truck smaller than the F-150.

You can be sure that if he gets good service from the local Toyota dealership, he will return when it is time to replace the families SUV.

Count it Ford... One lost sale and possibly one lost customer for life.

Why Ford does not understand this logic is puzzling.

• Like 2

Taking Tundra sales away and giving them to Tacoma doesn't help Ford at all.

At first glance you wouldn't think so but,

Would be Tundra buyers cross shop with Silverado and F truck, having an internal competitor keeping those sales

numbers low would have an influence on savvy truck buyers who know that Ford and GM trucks are more popular.

A lot of buyers then feel there's safety in numbers and head with the group to more popular trucks.

Don't underestimate the sheeple effect.

A Capt at my base picked up a Toyota Crew Cab Tacoma at lunch today because the F-150 does not fit in his garage.

You can be sure that if he gets good service from the local Toyota dealership, he will return when it is time to replace the families SUV.

Ford understands perfectly. They made a business decision to kill the Ranger before the replacement was ready, knowing they'll lose some customers but will save a ton of cash and resources in the meantime. And yes - not updating and continuing to produce the Ranger saved them a boatload of cash. And those resources can be put to work on whatever Ford has in mind to replace the Ranger in the market.

Why you people don't understand business decisions is even more puzzling.

Because n their opinion focusing on other market segments with existing products is more profitable?

I'm just throwing that out there because it is Ford's money to spend as they see fit..

So he would have bought a crew cab Ranger instead? Oh wait.

Ford understands perfectly. They made a business decision to kill the Ranger before the replacement was ready, knowing they'll lose some customers but will save a ton of cash and resources in the meantime. And yes - not updating and continuing to produce the Ranger saved them a boatload of cash. And those resources can be put to work on whatever Ford has in mind to replace the Ranger in the market.

Why you people don't understand business decisions is even more puzzling.

Ford made a decision to opt out of T6 ranger back in 2006, they knew six years ago that there would be no new Ranger.

Now, that's what i call a long term strategy and one aimed at supporting their comprehensive array of Utilities

which undoubtedly, draw higher ATPs and profit compared to a T6 Ranger in single and dual cab variants..