2013_ford_edge_4dr-suv_limited_fq_oem_1_300.jpg

Ford Fusion, Edge Achieve Best-Ever April Sales; Explorer, F-Series Net Best April Sales in Five-Plus Years

• Ford Fusion, Edge set all-time April records with 21,610 and 10,520 sales, respectively
  • Explorer reported its best April sales since 2005 with 13,419 vehicles sold
  • F-Series sales up 4 percent in April with 47,453 trucks sold, representing its best April sales since 2007; EcoBoost accounted for 43 percent of F-150 retail sales
  • Ford Motor Company April U.S. sales totaled 180,350, compared with 189,778 last year – a
    5 percent decline

Download Full Sales Release (With Tables)

DEARBORN, Mich., May 1, 2012 – U.S. sales of some of Ford Motor Company’s most fuel-efficient vehicles grew again in April, with the Ford Fusion and Edge setting all-time April records, Explorer reporting its best April sales since 2005 and F-Series sales reaching its best April sales since 2007.

Fusion set an April record with 21,610 sales. Focus sales were up 13 percent for the month, totaling 19,425 cars. Year-to-date Focus sales are up 57 percent, marking the strongest start for Focus since 2001.

Edge also set an April record with 10,520 sales. Year-to-date sales are up 6 percent with 43,428 Edges sold. Explorer enjoyed its best April since 2005 with 13,419 sales. Year-to-date Explorer sales totaled 47,037, up 12 percent.

Ford F-Series, America’s best-selling pickup for 35 years, grew sales 4 percent in April with 47,453 trucks sold – its best April since 2007. EcoBoost accounted for 43 percent of F-150 retail sales in April. F-Series sales are up 11 percent through April with 191,280 vehicles sold.

Overall, Ford Motor Company posted 5 percent lower volume in April.

Edited by staff

I don't worry much about fiesta, its fords least profitable vehicle. It's a very small car, and I just don't think Americans are gonna embrace cars that small in the near term, especially when somewhat larger cars achieve similar EPA numbers. Including the Focus, btw.

If the 1.0eb can approach 50mpg, then maybe sales would take off.

Edited by twmalonehunter

I'm still waiting on several import makes to post before I can publish my full list, but...

Chevrolet Sonic: 6,387 (28,250)

Ford Fiesta: 5,135 (20,657)

Ford Focus: 19,425 (85,468)

Chevrolet Cruze: 18,205 (75,288)

Dodge Caliber: 1,408 (6646)

Chevrolet Malibu: 21,906 (80,456)

Ford Fusion: 21,610 (85,559)

Chrysler 200: 13,343 (44,981)

Dodge Avenger: 11,147 (32,776)

Chevrolet Camaro: 9,627 (31,551)

Ford Mustang:7,801 (27,934)

Dodge Challenger:4,102 (14,626)

On a DSR adjusted basis, Ford's U.S. sales numbers in April 2012 represent a 6.9% increase over April 2011. (Selling days in April 2012 = 24; April 2011 = 27)

EDIT: Corrected percentage increase value to 6.9%. I originally wrote 6.8%. This was my error keying in the April 2011 daily selling rate (it is 7,028; I mistakenly entered 7,038 on the calculator).

Edited by aneekr

Someone else posted that they'd heard Chevy offering Sonics to people with abysmal credit. And they weren't from the Columbus area, they were from somewhere out west, as I recall.

And that, folks, is what moral hazard does to companies.

Edited by RichardJensen

Someone else posted that they'd heard Chevy offering Sonics to people with abysmal credit. And they weren't from the Columbus area, they were from somewhere out west, as I recall.

And that, folks, is what moral hazard does to companies.

There are ads here in Atlanta with local Chevy dealers actually advertising that they had a customer with a 510 credit score and a bankruptcy and they were able to get them into a brand new Sonic.

That tactic darn near put Mitsubishi out of the car business (not that they would be missed) a few years ago. This will bite them down the road.

510 is not high.

Premier was saying that 510 was high relative to the credit score he had seen approved. He's not saying 510 is a high credit score...

EDIT: Nevermind...he beat me to it...that's what I get for opening up 10 topics at once.

Edited by fordmantpw

How are "selling days" calculated, anyway? I think this came up before, but I don't recall what the answer was...

Basically everyday except Sundays and Holidays. But it does get adjusted at month beginnings and endings due to the desire, uh industry convention, of ending a sales month on a Monday.

Looking back to April last year, I guess we lost April 1,2,4 (to March) but gained May 2.

Edited by 03 LS

The only places Ford really took a hit this month were Fiesta, Crown Victoria, Ranger, and Escape. And the only one of those that is somewhat difficult to explain away is the Fiesta. Two are discontinued models, and the Escape is about to be replaced (not that 17,000 units is terrible by any means).

Mustang sales were down marginally, but 7800 units is still higher than its recent average monthly rate by quite a bit and seems to be well within a sustainable range. Everything else was up!

Over at Lincoln, the refreshed MKS seems to be making a dent, but we won't really know anything else until we see some other refreshed product in the lineup.