Ford March 2012 Sales

Live Chat On Lincoln With Ford Motor Company CMO Jim Farley

(04/04/2012)

Comment From DH

When will the next new or refreshed Lincoln model be shown?

Jim Farley: Great question DH! Really excited to confirm that Lincoln will make a C sized vehicle in the coming years. We can't wait to show it to you so stay tuned!

Comment From grant

when will the lincoln C come out? what does the C stand for.

Jim Farley: Hi Grant, the C means a "C size" which is the equivalent of an Audi A3 sized vehicle. Can't wait to bring Lincoln to this segment!

http://www.facebook.com/Lincoln/app_317345264972390

Edited by MKII

Live Chat On Lincoln With Ford Motor Company CMO Jim Farley

(04/04/2012)

Comment From DH

When will the next new or refreshed Lincoln model be shown?

Jim Farley: Great question DH! Really excited to confirm that Lincoln will make a C sized vehicle in the coming years. We can't wait to show it to you so stay tuned!

Comment From grant

when will the lincoln C come out? what does the C stand for.

Jim Farley: Hi Grant, the C means a "C size" which is the equivalent of an Audi A3 sized vehicle. Can't wait to bring Lincoln to this segment!

http://www.facebook....317345264972390

wow, how did we miss that.

more from that chat

Comment From LincolnFan One more question: Can you give us any indication about what the Lincoln lineup will look like in about 5 years?

fb_share2.pngJim Farley: We'll have at least a small one, a medium one and a really big one. ;-)

Just as the new Focus/Explorer (Titanium/SEL/Limited) functionally euthanized a need for a compact Lincoln priced over them due to the features/content improvement vs. their NA predecessors, the new Fusion basically is a much more attractive vehicle than the Lincoln equivalent and kills the need (for the 45+ yr old buyers who will buy most of them) for the MKZ.

Engine/moonroof options don't really matter. It's a long term, regional, dead end. Lincoln is just dying a slow death.

No but it illistrates the hypocrisy of one person mking up a list of cars and another person doing the same thing.

I corrected my list and my argument didn't fall apart.

maybe the MKz is underpriced.

The outgoing model? I don't think so.

That is a bold assumption since their are so few of them being sold. and none being sold in this country

What does it matter what vehicles are being sold outside the US? Lincoln is all but US-exclusive.

this is the closest to it. and it sold 2300 last month compared to 2800 MKZs

That's a hybrid. How is that 'close to' a conventionally powered compact car? Closest thing in terms of shape and overall ugliness would be the A3 or the C30. Check their sales figures and get back to me.

Maybe, maybe not, I think it would have been the compact car that could have added Cachet to the lincoln brand bringing more eyes to the lincoln.

A tiny sub $30k car adds cachet to a luxury brand? Really? Has that held true for the 1-series? The C30? What luxury brand has improved its standing by offering a small sub $30k car?

Edited by RichardJensen

wow, how did we miss that.

Only makes sense if they can push up the transaction price of the MKZ so that the starting price is >$30k, and even then it had better not be as ugly as the Concept C. And it will still need to be bigger than and with more accoutrement than its competitors. Otherwise, fail.

Engine/moonroof options don't really matter. It's a long term, regional, dead end.

Tell that to Lexus. They've been making hay in the US for the past fifteen years on a tarted up Camry & Highlander.

I have always maintained and still maintain that people do not so easily fit into nice neat little boxes that somebody else thought up for them.

Granted this isn't cars, but Apple has been very successful in doing just that. They tell you what you need and people buy it up in mass even if it doesn't fit just perfectly.

A tiny sub $30k car adds cachet to a luxury brand? Really? Has that held true for the 1-series? The C30? What luxury brand has improved its standing by offering a small sub $30k car?

Hasn't there been rumors of an MKFocus? Granted it wouldn't be "tiny" but it could easily start under $30K.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Granted this isn't cars, but Apple has been very successful in doing just that. They tell you what you need and people buy it up in mass even if it doesn't fit just perfectly.

Hasn't there been rumors of an MKFocus? Granted it wouldn't be "tiny" but it could easily start under $30K.

When Mercury was killed, there was mention that the Focus planned for Mercury would be transferred to Lincoln. Clearly that won't happen at this point.

The ATS, 3-Series, C-Class, A4, etc...are all cars in this space, but they are all justified as performance class vehicles and not just cheap luxury cars. Lincoln would have a hard time relating to those competitors and it would be non-trivial to change attitudes about Lincoln's efforts (a Lincoln Focus?). Lincoln is a traditional luxury vehicle with 'confident' performance, not sporting. Lincoln doesn't need its own Verano.

Edited by BORG

The Mercedes C-Class has a reputation for performance?

Sounds strange, but M-B have been trying hard to elevate their C-class. It's all opinion, but they've finally given the C-class serious attention, expanding the model range and getting AMG's enthusiastic participation. :)

I'm noticing that some of the newer C class vehicles, like Cruze/Verano have larger passenger space but smaller trunks to

keep the combined volume just under the mid sized limits. Perhaps this is what Lincoln will be shooting for, MKZ and a

smaller Quazi- mid sized sedan, an over sized small car that has just enough room to be acceptable. I'm thinking of a

vehicle with similar proportions to the 2003 Mazda 6 but with a smaller trunk...that could work as a small luxury vehicle.

However, I noticed that Farley mentioned the C class Lincoln in the same breath as A3.....

In any case, I think lincoln should worry less about sedans and start heading for the money with a showroom

full of utilities with versions of new Escape, MKX, Aviator and a refreshed Navigator with EB V6 and 5.0 V8.

I would sooner see a genuine Town Car built off E8 Falcon-Fairlane architecture than see that MKT monstrosity...

Edited by jpd80