Ford March 2012 Sales

Ok Nick, be sarcastic all you want - I did not predict doom and gloom. Simply put - if your competition is up 20-30% and you are up 5% then they attracted more new buyers than you did...no matter how you spin it. And don't say Toyota coming back is not a matter of concern. For every one of those lame Camry's or Corolla's they sell, that is one Fusion or Focus not sold.

wrong, Toyota and Honda were significantly hurt with supply issues courtesy of the Tsunami, their sales numbers dropped substantially, so the increases in %; change more dramatically......

And I'll point out again that Ford has half the employees that GM has. You guys do the math......

OK, I'll do the math. You are welcome:

GM

Ford

Market Cap

40.79B

47.53B

Employees

Revenue

150.28B

136.26B

Gross Margin

12.71%

16.82%

Operating Cash Flow

8.17B

9.78B

Operating Margin

3.98%

5.10%

Cash

31.6B

23.0B

Debt

5.30B

13.0B

• Like 1

"of those lame Camry's or Corolla's they sell, that is one Fusion or Focus not sold."

Should Big Gov't ban all import makes then?

"Ford will lose sales when they phase out old Fusion and Escape"!

Then Ford should never update their cars, God forbid!

And let's not forget that while March's sales are very impressive, we're only just into April with even higher sales expected

in the next few months. Ford will be very prominent in the market place and while not taking the lead in sales, they will

be making very impressive quarterly profit statements, pulling the rest of the company up by the boot straps.

Fiesta is suffering from big brother Focus being a more attractive package at the moment but fear not,

Fiesta is still bringing in profit to Ford in a segment they are still relatively new to in North America.

How high can F Truck sales get this year, will Ford smash the 60,000 barrier next month?

Edited by jpd80

And let's not forget that while March's sales are very impressive, we're only just into April with even higher sales expected

in the next few months. Ford will be very prominent in the market place and while not taking the lead in sales, they will

be making very impressive quarterly profit statements, pulling the rest of the company up by the boot straps.

Fiesta is suffering from big brother Focus being a more attractive package at the moment but fear not,

Fiesta is still bringing in profit to Ford in a segment they are still relatively new to in North America.

How high can F Truck sales get this year, will Ford smash the 60,000 barrier next month?

my guess is focus sales will drop due to supply issues....we are pretty much out of them.... :angry2:

Toyota + Subaru actually outsold Ford and GM this month. :reading:

Here are your top 10 by company

1. GM 231,052

2. Ford 223,418

3. Toyota 203,282

4. Chrysler 163,381

5. Nissan 136,317

6. Hyundai-Kia 69,728+57,505 = 127,233

7. Honda 126,999

8. VW-Audi 36,588+11,585 = 48,173

9. Subaru 32,387

10. Mazda 32,376

BMW 29,806

Mercedes 25,508

Edited by bzcat

Ford will hit a wall very soon, with the Fusion going down in may , only 2 shifts on the new escape, with the slow rmp up of 3rd Crews at MAP and CAP.

The sales numbers will not be sustainable.

the F-series will have no problem meeting demand, with a 2nd shift being added to KCAP.

C-max ramp up in June at MAP.

Fusion ramp up in September or October should go down in june or july.

3rd shift added to escape LAP in September.

3rd shift being added to CAP and MAP with in the next few weeks, but due to the 3 crew shift pattern, it takes more time to adapt from a 2 shift to a 3 crew work pattern.

this will be a long summer for Ford.

Okay. So cars have the lead for the past two months. Still doesn't change the market position of B-cars. They still sell less than C/D and C cars, as well as small, midsize, and large SUV's, and fullsize pickups. Probably minivans too.

So that means it does not matter? are they not important?

Fiat sold 3700 500s last month.

There's plenty of completely VALID spin to be put on it though. What did ATP's look like? What was incentive spending like? What were the fleet/retail mixes of competitors? All of those are very real and very valid factors to be considered when analyzing sales. To simply look at sales columns does not paint a complete picture.

Besides, did anyone think for a moment that Toyota wasn't going to come back? That would be rather naive.

Toyota is selling the Camry with a pretty good incentive, at least they are here in the southeast. A 2012 Camry L with 6 speed automatic can be had for $19,495. I test drove one and it was actually a pretty well equipped car at that price with pretty good performance. So it's not surprising that it blew the Fusion out of the water . I don't know if Toyota is making or losing money on the Camry by selling it at that price. But I do know they've been selling the 2012 Camry L at that price sense last fall so I have my doubts that it's losing them any money. There's no way to know for sure. The Focus did as well as the Corolla this month but I have to wonder how much of that number was dumped into fleets. Both Focus and Corolla get sold to fleets obviously but Ford has taken a lot of bad press lately for how much of it's business is fleet sales. I wonder what the actual percentage is for both cars. Nobody is going to say. One thing I do know is that the new Focus does not sell well around here although I hear that its getting popular on the west coast. The Fiesta doesn't sell well at all here despite the high gas prices. I think a lot of people just find it too small. I didn't mind the size, I just didn't like the lack of a center arm rest. It was a good month all around for both companies, that much is certain. It could be that people are waiting for the Fusion redesign before opting to buy while the Camry just had a refresh that is attracting buyers.

Edited by BlackHorse

Trouble is GM sales are up 12 percent and Chrysler's are up 34 percent. I know Chrysler's sales were dismal last year, but still I am disappointed with Ford's weak 5 percent increase.

Ford was much healthier then either GM or Chrysler at this point last year. Any increases at this point are still positive. GM and Chrysler had a lot more ground to cover, it is all relative..

Trouble is GM sales are up 12 percent and Chrysler's are up 34 percent. I know Chrysler's sales were dismal last year, but still I am disappointed with Ford's weak 5 percent increase.

Why worry about percentages? All it is reflection of how many cars where sold last year vs this year...

Toyota is selling the Camry with a pretty good incentive, at least they are here in the southeast. A 2012 Camry L with 6 speed automatic can be had for $19,495. I test drove one and it was actually a pretty well equipped car at that price with pretty good performance. So it's not surprising that it blew the Fusion out of the water . I don't know if Toyota is making or losing money on the Camry by selling it at that price. But I do know they've been selling the 2012 Camry L at that price sense last fall so I have my doubts that it's losing them any money. There's no way to know for sure. The Focus did as well as the Corolla this month but I have to wonder how much of that number was dumped into fleets. Both Focus and Corolla get sold to fleets obviously but Ford has taken a lot of bad press lately for how much of it's business is fleet sales. I wonder what the actual percentage is for both cars. Nobody is going to say. One thing I do know is that the new Focus does not sell well around here although I hear that its getting popular on the west coast. The Fiesta doesn't sell well at all here despite the high gas prices. I think a lot of people just find it too small. I didn't mind the size, I just didn't like the lack of a center arm rest. It was a good month all around for both companies, that much is certain. It could be that people are waiting for the Fusion redesign before opting to buy while the Camry just had a refresh that is attracting buyers.

Fusion had its best month ever! Remember, Ford only has one plant dedicated to the Fusion and even the 28,000/month number is unsustainable until AAI comes on line late next year. Meanwhile, Toyota has millions of Camrys on the road already and the production capacity to sell well over 30,000 every month and some months over 40,000 like March. Catching Camry in sales is like Chevy, Toyota, and Chrysler catching F-Series in sales. Next to impossible. More impressive than Camry sales which are expected like F-Series sales domination was the sales of the Altima.

To me, most impressive on sales list is Subaru. It was like yesterday when stated goal of Subaru was to go over 200,000/year barrier. Now they are routinely over the 300,000 barrier in a few short years and who knows how high they will go. Their owners are so loyal that they won't even look at another brand let alone buy one. And they do fine selling small station wagons with AWD that get exceptional fuel mileage. Still can't figure out why Ford and Chevy can't make a Focus and Cruze station wagon that gets over 30mpg in mixed driving and make it viable and carve out niche like Subaru did. Subaru has proven that it's a growing market as Subaru beats estimates month after month.

Why worry about percentages? All it is reflection of how many cars where sold last year vs this year...

AGAIN, Ford cut back on fleet sales in March and main reason sales gain was single digits. Another reason is that Ford really doesn't have the inventory or production capacity to sell more than what it did in Escape, Fusion, F-Series, and Focus sales for the month. All were at record levels. And finally, retail sales were up 11%. Going forward, Focus, Fusion, and Escape inventory are depleted as Escape production at KCAP ends this month, Fusion production ends in a few months, and MAP still hasn't started a third shift to produce more Focus. If Ford had a so so March last year which it didn't like Chrysler, then Ford sales would have been up over 30%. You gotta keep things in context.

So that means it does not matter? are they not important?

Fiat sold 3700 500s last month.

Where did I say it wasn't important? If it wasn't important I would advocate that Ford pull out of the segment. Just saying that there's no reason to get worked up over a sales month where the Fiesta was again one of the top performers in its small segment, even if it didn't set any sales records.

Where did I say it wasn't important? If it wasn't important I would advocate that Ford pull out of the segment. Just saying that there's no reason to get worked up over a sales month where the Fiesta was again one of the top performers in its small segment, even if it didn't set any sales records.

And again, it's not ONE month, as Fiesta sales are down over 20% for last THREE months. Focus is production restrained and with record high gas prices for this time of year, Ford needs to at least offer better lease deals on Fiesta than it does Focus. In this region, you can lease a Focus SE for $149/month with about $1900 down, and best lease deal I've seen on Fiesta is about $169/month with about same money down. That is ridiculous. Buyers are voting with their feet and staying away from Fiesta and those ridiculous deals compared to larger, more feature laden Focus. To put it simply, Ford is pushing the Focus and forgetting Fiesta as in hiding it on lot and hoping no one buys it.