Ford March 2012 Sales

Source: http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=36278

Ford Motor Company Posts Strongest U.S. March Sales in Five Years; Fusion, Focus, Edge Post Record Sales Months

•  
  • Ford Motor Company posts its strongest U.S. March sales in five years with 223,418 vehicles sold – a 5 percent sales increase over last March
  • Ford Fusion posts its best sales month ever at 28,562 vehicles
  • Ford Focus has its best March sales ever at 28,293 vehicles
  • Ford Edge has its best March ever at 14,058 vehicles
  • F-Series March sales of 58,061 are up 9 percent, its best March sales performance since 2007; EcoBoost accounts for 41 percent of the F-150 retail sales

DEARBORN, Mich., April 3, 2012 – Ford Motor Company posted its best March U.S. sales month since 2007 – with the Ford Fusion recording its best month ever, Ford Focus and Ford Edge achieving their best March ever and the F-Series showing the strongest March sales in five years.

Total company sales totaled 223,418 vehicles for March, a 5 percent gain over year-ago levels. Retail sales increased 11 percent for the month.

For the first quarter, Ford Motor Company’s sales were up 9 percent versus year-ago levels, totaling 539,247 vehicles sold. The increases were driven by the popularity of Ford’s most fuel-efficient models posting record sales months.

March sales highlights:

•  
  • Fusion set an all-time monthly sales record, with 28,562 vehicles sold.
  • Focus delivered its best March sales performance ever, selling 28,293 cars.
  • F-Series sold 58,061 for the month – a 9 percent increase versus last March and F-Series’ best March sales performance since 2007. EcoBoost accounted for 41 percent of the F-150 retail sales, with all V6 engines comprising 56 percent for the month.
  • The Ford Edge had it best March sales month ever, with 14,058 vehicles sold.
  • Ford began selling its Police Interceptor Sedans and Utilities at the end of March.

During the first quarter:

•  
  • Car sales at Ford Motor Company were up 8 percent. The fuel-efficient Focus was the biggest seller among Ford’s car lineup, with sales up 78 percent during this period, with 66,043 vehicles sold.
  • Utility sales totaled 150,415 vehicles, a 6 percent increase versus year-ago levels. Escape sales were up 5 percent, making it the strongest-ever first quarter start for Escape – America’s best-selling utility.
  • Ford Motor Company truck sales increased 11 percent, with 195,807 vehicles sold. F-Series pickups – America’s top-selling truck for 35 years – posted sales of 143,827 vehicles for the quarter, a 14-percent increase versus the same period in 2011.

Sales charts attached:

post-6726-0-22408900-1333464060_thumb.jpg

post-6726-0-21503900-1333464067_thumb.jpg

Edited by Intrepidatious

March sales for Ford was 223,418 versus GM at 231,052 - Great news Ford.:)

Fiesta 6,502

Focus 28,293

Fusion 28,562

Taurus 7,095

Mustang 9,046

Escape 22,679

Edge 14,058

Flex 3,330

Explorer 13,212

F-Truck 58,061

Police Interceptor 28

Police Interceptor Utility 27

Wow. 28,000 Fusions AND Focuses? Gangbusters. Pretty much every product you would expect to see an increase did and then some you wouldn't have.

I think I remember someone several months back saying that the new Explorer would spell the end for the Edge too. Hmmmm. :poke:

Interesting that they have decided to break out Interceptor sales separately from their donor vehicles.

Edited by NickF1011

Flex, Taurus, and Mustang sales looked good for the month. Fiesta is losing out to the Focus with its similar fuel mileage and $2,000 incentives. In fact around here, Focus has better lease rate than Fiesta with Fiesta beginning to clog up on lots. I do like that Ford is listing Police Interceptor sales separately so that it doesn't distort Taurus and Explorer sales. With KCAP going down this month, and LAP Escape launch just beginning, and Ranger sales starting to drip, it will be interesting to see how spring sales figures hold up compared to last year. I hope Ford has 2012 Escapes stacked up in big numbers to last a few months until 2013 Escape starts showing up in big numbers.

:headscratch:

6500 units is one of the best months Fiesta has ever had.

Fiesta sales are down over 20% year over year at a time when there are record high gas prices for so early in year. Fiesta needs better lease rates as they are stacking up on dealer lots around here big time. At my local dealer, Fiestas outnumber Focus on lot. Ford usually brings out special lease rate when dealers have them sitting around too long.

It was 9700 a year ago.

Which I'm pretty sure was its absolute best month ever.

Fiesta sales are down over 20% year over year

Yeah, again, from its best month ever.

May as well clamor about how the Explorer isn't selling 30,000 units a month anymore too. :shrug:

It's a B-segment vehicle. It's not going to sell 15,000-20,000 units a month anytime soon no matter how high gas prices go. Most of those people who are most affected by the spike in fuel prices likely aren't in the position to run out and buy a new car, not even a B-segment one.

Edited by NickF1011

Fiesta MPG is nearly same as bigger Focus, and to many Fiesta is too small.

Anyway, to all the know-nothings who said "Focus is a flop", "Ford should start over", "too small and Euro for America' etc, can all .... take a long hike!!

You also have to remember that the Focus surge happened within the last two months for not inexplicable reasons (incentives, fleeting).

March sales for Ford was 223,418 versus GM at 231,052 - Great news Ford.:)

Fiesta 6,502

Focus 28,293

Fusion 28,562

Taurus 7,095

Mustang 9,046

Escape 22,679

Edge 14,058

Flex 3,330

Explorer 13,212

F-Truck 58,061

Police Interceptor 28

Police Interceptor Utility 27

Just think what Ford could do with Lexus like Lincoln numbers instead of the anemic numbers they have now. And don't look now, but Toyota is coming up fast in rear view mirror on everyone with over 200,000 vehicles sold in March. Toyota must have sold a boat load of bland Camry and Corolla, plus a very hig number or Prius numbers. I imagine Lexus had a great month also.

Flex, Taurus, and Mustang sales looked good for the month. Fiesta is losing out to the Focus with its similar fuel mileage and $2,000 incentives. In fact around here, Focus has better lease rate than Fiesta with Fiesta beginning to clog up on lots.

the competition in the B segment is much better than it was 1 year ago.

all new

sonic

rio

accent

yaris

versa.

Fiesta sales are down over 20% year over year at a time when there are record high gas prices for so early in year. Fiesta needs better lease rates as they are stacking up on dealer lots around here big time. At my local dealer, Fiestas outnumber Focus on lot. Ford usually brings out special lease rate when dealers have them sitting around too long.

see above:

• Like 1

"Focus surge happened within the last two months for not inexplicable reasons (incentives, fleeting)."

Oh so what? Honda and Toyota are laying $$ on Civic/Corolla hoods too, Ford can't sit still.

The days of "The ONLY good cars are T/H" and "Toyota never sells to fleets, never need incentives" blah, blah, blah are over. [Check what cars are for rent these days, not all Detroiters]

And a $2000 rebate on a $25K Titanium Focus [or $20k SE Sport] is not really 'giving cars away', there's more room to make $$$.

Edited by 630land

You also have to remember that the Focus surge happened within the last two months for not inexplicable reasons (incentives, fleeting).

A couple sales analysts reported that Ford cut back on fleet sales in March and reason why Ford sales were not up double digit in year to year comparisons. I notice Ford said retail sales were up 11% and Ford did state that daily rental fleet sales were down. Ford is seeking the government fleet sales business, but has been cutting back on daily rentals for a long time now. They still say they are very disciplined with fleet sales, and made an even more concerted effort in March to cut back even more.

Not sure what Chrysler is doing (incentives, fleet, both), but I find it hard to believe that so many more customers are flocking to buy Chrysler vehicles that are still not as fuel efficient or packaged as well as Ford and GM midsizers. Must be price. The 200 wouldn't be on my buy list. Chrysler doesn't even have a truly fuel efficient vehicle in its lineup until the Dart arrives, and the 500 is small and not that efficient for its size. Must be smoke and mirrors. Glad they are doing so well, but don't get it.

"Focus surge happened within the last two months for not inexplicable reasons (incentives, fleeting)."

Oh so what? Honda and Toyota are laying $ on Civic/Corolla hoods too, Ford can't sit still.

The days of "The ONLY good cars are T/H" and "Toyota never sells to fleets, never need incentives" blah, blah, blah are over. [Check what cars are for rent these days, not all Detroiters]

And a $2000 rebate on a $25K Titanium Focus [or $20k SE Sport] is not really 'giving cars away', there's more room to make $$.

I think ford needs to cool it on the incentives, they cannot produce enough cars to maintain that sales volume. over the next 6 months ford will be challenged to increase sales because of all the model changeover, and the addition of 3rd shifts at MAP and CAP.

because of the flexibility of MAP ford may need to add a 2nd production site for the Focus, I wonder how much it would cost to import from Europe vs the cost of establishing another production line and or running 3 shifts of overtime for extended periods of time.

the competition in the B segment is much better than it was 1 year ago.

all new

sonic

rio

accent

yaris

versa.

see above:

And the Focus doesn't face tough competition in its segment also with new Dart showing up shortly. Every segment is super competitive, especially the popular high volume one's. We are three full months into 2012, and so far Fiesta sales are down over 20%. I'm sure Ford is looking at problem and knows that Fiestas are starting to clog up lots as new ones come in every day.

I think ford needs to cool it on the incentives, they cannot produce enough cars to maintain that sales volume. over the next 6 months ford will be challenged to increase sales because of all the model changeover, and the addition of 3rd shifts at MAP and CAP.

because of the flexibility of MAP ford may need to add a 2nd production site for the Focus, I wonder how much it would cost to import from Europe vs the cost of establishing another production line and or running 3 shifts of overtime for extended periods of time.

Don't forget the plant shutdown in July for company wide vacation. Right now, MAP only makes about 5,000 Focus/week and can't sell 30,000/month more than one month every now and then if that. Fiesta needs to pick up some of the slack and should be selling better....like 7,000-10,000/month with record high gas spikes.

Ford has talked about importing the Focus wagon here from Europe, but haven't heard anymore for over a year. Importing about 20,000-30,000 Focus wagons/year would be great IMO. Europe certainly needs the work with Spain having over 20% unemployment rate and going up. Ford has big Focus plant in Valencia.