What's in a name? Lincoln moniker system confuses Ford dealers

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with the Lincoln system is that it is pronounced one way and spelled another. I assume they considered that closely and decided that the confusion is a good way of making the consumer remember the product names.

Edited by BORG

The problem with the Lincoln system is that it is pronounced one way and spelled another. I assume they considered that closely and decided that the confusion is a good way of making the consumer remember the product names.

Did you even read the article?

Ford's dropping the ridiculous MKX spells "Mark X" idea. It's just an Emm Kay Eks.

Did you even read the article?

Ford's dropping the ridiculous MKX spells "Mark X" idea. It's just an Emm Kay Eks.

Hmmm. I would have preferred a more logical naming system. Keeping some names, changing others, it makes no sense. I much prefer a BMW naming system where the numbers make sense as they designate both the size of the vehicle (3<5<7) and the engine size (325 = 3 Series w/ 2.5L engine). Both Caddy and Lincoln don't want to touch the names of their high-profit Escalades and Navigators, but they'll throw out all their other names for alphabet soup. Although I do agree, the name isn't what really sells the car - "A rose by any other name . . . "

I personally don't care for the new MK- designations. Lincoln IMO have largely chosen tasteful, appropriate names for respective models. I think the Zephyr name was a bit too stodgy for a youthful car and moving the the MK desigation was fine for THAT particular model. With that said, Lincoln has primarily been a conservative auto brand and with the history of good quality names, I agree with many of the dealerships that Lincoln should have maintain traditional naming practices with most of their vehicles.

Large RWD sedan: Town Car

Mid/Large FWD/AWD sedan: Continental

Compact/Mid-size sedan: MKZ

Large SUV: Navigator

Mid-size SUV: Aviator

The only thing I strongly disagreed with was putting the "Mark" name on the truck. It should have been reserved for something special and not for a rebadged F-150. I actually like the appearance of the frontal area of the Lincoln truck more so than the F-150, but its the wrong name for the truck.

Looking at those I've listed above however makes me realize even more what kind of dire straits Lincoln appears to be in compared to its competition. Town Car is on the ropes, a decent V8 unibody midsize doesn't exist, the new Navigator looks like the front end was designed for air conditioning unit and the mid-size SUV is moving off the Explorer platform. Ford's strongest image car is the Zephyr/MKZ and its not exactly setting the woods on fire. I'm not GM fan, but I admire the effort that Cadillac has been given. Good models that are more desirable...at least to me. If Lincoln wants to emulate someone, they should visit an Infiniti dealership and view just how to set up their model line-up. Ford has great global resources with the companies they have acquired and yet they do not utilize those resources to the fullest potential.

Edited by Traveler

Hmmm. I would have preferred a more logical naming system. Keeping some names, changing others, it makes no sense. I much prefer a BMW naming system where the numbers make sense as they designate both the size of the vehicle (3<5<7) and the engine size (325 = 3 Series w/ 2.5L engine). Both Caddy and Lincoln don't want to touch the names of their high-profit Escalades and Navigators, but they'll throw out all their other names for alphabet soup. Although I do agree, the name isn't what really sells the car - "A rose by any other name . . . "

There was never anything wrong with the classic names. It was always the cars they were attached to not living up to the expectations of those established names. That's what happens when cars are left to rot on the vine too long without updates to keep them exciting and fresh. The classic names have been attached to unisnpriring vehicles so long they have completely lost thier meaning as anything anyone would aspire to own.

Great names like Continental and Eldorado are gone because they did not make product that lived up to the expectations of the names which suggest they be the best vehicles they can be with appealing styling and luxury. If those names were resurrected on the right vehicles, they would have sucess. It was not that long ago that the Cadillac brand name meant nothing until products were brought out to turn around the stodgy old man's car image. Cadillac historically was a brand that songs were written about. They had cars that were leading edge in styling that appealed to all generations... Not just retired geriactrics. Then Cadillac started doing everything wrong in the 1980's with their only sucess left the DeVille which appealed mostly to the elderly. The styling formula became complacent, never changing just like the Town Car are Panthers are floundering along today. Nothing exciting... Nothing appealing to the younger generation. So people became attracted to alternative luxury imports and those car makers starting making vehicles people wanted.

Think about the reason the Navigator and Escalade names are still kept around. They establised a standard and image that might be lost if they changed the names. Think about what it would be like if they changed the name of the Mustang to something alpha-numeric. It would loose all of it's appeal.

There is a fine line when to drop a name and when to keep using it. And there is a fine line when to revitilze product instead of letting it rot.

There was never anything wrong with the classic names. It was always the cars they were attached to not living up to the expectations of those established names. That's what happens when cars are left to rot on the vine too long without updates to keep them exciting and fresh. The classic names have been attached to unisnpriring vehicles so long they have completely lost thier meaning as anything anyone would aspire to own.

Great names like Continental and Eldorado are gone because they did not make product that lived up to the expectations of the names which suggest they be the best vehicles they can be with appealing styling and luxury. If those names were resurrected on the right vehicles, they would have sucess. It was not that long ago that the Cadillac brand name meant nothing until products were brought out to turn around the stodgy old man's car image. Cadillac historically was a brand that songs were written about. They had cars that were leading edge in styling that appealed to all generations... Not just retired geriactrics. Then Cadillac started doing everything wrong in the 1980's with their only sucess left the DeVille which appealed mostly to the elderly. The styling formula became complacent, never changing just like the Town Car are Panthers are floundering along today. Nothing exciting... Nothing appealing to the younger generation. So people became attracted to alternative luxury imports and those car makers starting making vehicles people wanted.

Think about the reason the Navigator and Escalade names are still kept around. They establised a standard and image that might be lost if they changed the names. Think about what it would be like if they changed the name of the Mustang to something alpha-numeric. It would loose all of it's appeal.

There is a fine line when to drop a name and when to keep using it. And there is a fine line when to revitilze product instead of letting it rot.

I definitely agree with everything you're saying, I just think it looks strange to have a hodge-podge of various naming systems on the same lot. If you go to any other luxury car lots you're not going to find some with traditional "word" names and some with alphanumeric. It just shows inconsistency is all.

Well, they had better market to the youth with all these alphabetic designations. Our poor seniors will buy a Lincoln and never know what they're driving. I still have to think about which one is which and I can never remember the small SUV hybrid one...XL something. The roadster is the XLR?

Cadillac Roadster should have been El Dorado

DTS should have been DeVille

STS the SeVille

CTS should be the Cimarron :D

Well, they had better market to the youth with all these alphabetic designations. Our poor seniors will buy a Lincoln and never know what they're driving. I still have to think about which one is which and I can never remember the small SUV hybrid one...XL something. The roadster is the XLR?

Cadillac Roadster should have been El Dorado

DTS should have been DeVille

STS the SeVille

CTS should be the Cimarron :D

CTS = Catera

Igor

Guest Sixcav

Maybe it's just Lincoln's way of appealing to the folks that buy the European sedans. I mean BMW, Mercedes and Audi seem to have good success just throwing a three digit number on their cars, (exception Audi) followed maybe by a letter or something and "poof" we all know what a 3 series is don't we? Mazda decided years back to just start numbering their cars instead of naming them. Nobody got upset about that. Acura just uses some random letters thrown together, the TL and what not. The same for Infiniti and Lexus. Nobody gets upset. But oh no, Lincoln isn't allowed to do such a thing. What the fuck is confusing about it I wonder? It's not confusing at all to me.

Maybe it's just Lincoln's way of appealing to the folks that buy the European sedans. I mean BMW, Mercedes and Audi seem to have good success just throwing a three digit number on their cars, (exception Audi) followed maybe by a letter or something and "poof" we all know what a 3 series is don't we? Mazda decided years back to just start numbering their cars instead of naming them. Nobody got upset about that. Acura just uses some random letters thrown together, the TL and what not. The same for Infiniti and Lexus. Nobody gets upset. But oh no, Lincoln isn't allowed to do such a thing. What the fuck is confusing about it I wonder? It's not confusing at all to me.

With the exception of Acura, most of their naming conventions follow a historically set pattern - BMW 325 is a 3 series with a 2.5 liter engine, Lexus ES300/ES330/ES350 is an ES series with different engines. Everyone learns where each series falls on the totem pole. Acura TL/TSX have absolutely no meanings, but everyong knows Acura's as a whole are just upmarketed Honda's.

Lincoln's naming convention, on the other hand, is all a pure BS marketing ploy that has absolutely no meaning - unless they want everyone to think they are just upmarketed Fords, which is what Lincoln has/will become very soon.

taxman100 hit the nail on the head -- the MKS/MKZ idea is a naming ploy, and a confusing one at that.

The MKX, however, is a decent idea, as it makes it unique to the Edge. "X" suggests aggressiveness, and that works on a CUV.

"S" suggests.... I dunno.

The MKZ would be better named as the Zephyr.

taxman100 hit the nail on the head -- the MKS/MKZ idea is a naming ploy, and a confusing one at that.

The MKX, however, is a decent idea, as it makes it unique to the Edge. "X" suggests aggressiveness, and that works on a CUV.

"S" suggests.... I dunno.

The MKZ would be better named as the Zephyr.

I think what's missing from the Lincoln naming system is anything that denotes the size and power of the vehicle - Why is an MKZ a smaller, less powerful car than an MKS? What is an MKX? I much prefer the European naming systems. Audi: A1-A8 for cars, as the numbers go up the cars get bigger and more powerful. Everyone knows if you drive an A8 that it is bigger and cost more than an A6. BMW: first number denotes the model series and the second two numbers refer to the engine size. A 7xx is bigger than a 5xx, and a 760 is more powerful than a 745. Mercedes: a little more confusing, but the basic sedan nomenclature works - C, E, S, then numbers denote engine size. Once you get into all the CLK, CLS, SLK, CL, SL, etc I get a little confused, and the SUV's don't seem to follow any letter pattern. Acura's system makes no sense except if it's an SUV it gets a -DX name. I like Infiniti's - it's basically a BMW system with a slight change. Lexus is okay, but it would make more sense if the system went in alphabetical order. Why is an IS smaller than an ES? Why is an RX smaller than both an LX and GX? I don't know. But at least they put the engine size in the name, I like that. Caddy is as bad as Lincoln, they're basing their alphanumeric system off their old names, keeping the Escalade name, and not utilizing numbers to denote engine size. Lincoln could have done a lot better than they did and that's what is disappointing.

BMW 325 is a 3 series with a 2.5 liter engine

2nd time I've seen this. Have to correct it.

The ONLY 325 that comes with a 2.5 liter is the coupe/convertible. The 325 sedan and wagon both use a 3.0 liter.

The 550 uses a 4.8, not a 5.0. The 750 also uses a 4.8 liter. Ditto the 650.

It's not entirely clearcut at BMW either....

Just pointing that little tidbit out. :bandance:

Edited by NickF1011

2nd time I've seen this. Have to correct it.

The ONLY 325 that comes with a 2.5 liter is the coupe/convertible. The 325 sedan and wagon both use a 3.0 liter.

The 550 uses a 4.8, not a 5.0. The 750 also uses a 4.8 liter. Ditto the 650.

It's not entirely clearcut at BMW either....

Just pointing that little tidbit out. :bandance:

I think it used to be correct, but BMW has changed engine sizes recently but felt that names 750 and 550 sound better than 748 and 548. A 325 used to mean it had a 2.5L I6 and a 330 always had a 3.0L I6. I guess times are changing even at BMW. At least the basic system still makes sense - as the numbers increase the vehicle becomes larger and more powerful.

I think it used to be correct, but BMW has changed engine sizes recently but felt that names 750 and 550 sound better than 748 and 548. A 325 used to mean it had a 2.5L I6 and a 330 always had a 3.0L I6. I guess times are changing even at BMW. At least the basic system still makes sense - as the numbers increase the vehicle becomes larger and more powerful.

Generally speaking, yeah, they've stuck pretty true to the names, but even several years ago the 323 started shipping with a 2.5 liter which seemed to confuse people.

Side note: Anyone remember the lovely 318ti? :doh::hysterical: