2013 Mustang GT

Be smart about when you pour on the power, don't overcook your line and the 2013 Mustang GT will be a willing dance partner any day of the week. There is no dramatic oversteer or clumsy understeer plowing. Just more poise than should be possible from a live-axle, well-tuned or otherwise. Those who pine for an independent rear suspension may politely shut their pie holes.

autoblog

I liked the article. I know MFT is a whipping boy at present and Autoblog is accused sometimes of bias (Name someone who isn't.) but I found the Ford pieces fair. I don't agree sometimes but that's me. It's the final thoughts that caught my attention, regarding the comparison between Mustang and Camero. I honestly don't know enough about Camero to agree/disagree (Frankly, I don't care either. The curse of being a fanboy.) but I feel that's important. If the Mustang is moving towards a 'Sports Car' vice 'Muscle car', I would speculate that the target population would have somthing to do with that. I am assuming Ford has solicited opinion from Mustang owners and fans when these changes were made.

I liked the article. I know MFT is a whipping boy at present and Autoblog is accused sometimes of bias (Name someone who isn't.) but I found the Ford pieces fair. I don't agree sometimes but that's me. It's the final thoughts that caught my attention, regarding the comparison between Mustang and Camero. I honestly don't know enough about Camero to agree/disagree (Frankly, I don't care either. The curse of being a fanboy.) but I feel that's important. If the Mustang is moving towards a 'Sports Car' vice 'Muscle car', I would speculate that the target population would have somthing to do with that. I am assuming Ford has solicited opinion from Mustang owners and fans when these changes were made.

Looks like all the Mustang clubs across the country are going to have to have track days like each Porsche club does. Also an annual club race. Ditto for Camaro clubs as both these vehicles have turned into great road racing machines. Might as well explore the limits of their "sports cars" like Porsche owners do. At least you can go 100mph + without worrying about getting a ticket and where speed is promoted.

Looks like all the Mustang clubs across the country are going to have to have track days like each Porsche club does. Also an annual club race. Ditto for Camaro clubs as both these vehicles have turned into great road racing machines. Might as well explore the limits of their "sports cars" like Porsche owners do. At least you can go 100mph + without worrying about getting a ticket and where speed is promoted.

love the car as is, pretty awesome, cannot wait for the new model, hopefully it adresses my small list of quibbles, make it smaller, make it lighter, adress the overhangs and PLEASE, IRS, if but to shut the whiners up....oh, there IS a 4 cylinder turbo coming too..... :stirpot:

love the car as is, pretty awesome, cannot wait for the new model, hopefully it adresses my small list of quibbles, make it smaller, make it lighter, adress the overhangs and PLEASE, IRS, if but to shut the whiners up....oh, there IS a 4 cylinder turbo coming too..... :stirpot:

A turbo 4 in a Mustang? Blasphemy!

A 3400 lb EB I-4 Mustang may be just the ticket for luring Fusion buyers back into a sports coupe

good performance and very impressive fuel economy similar to EB Fusion's 26/37 mpg....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

A 3400 lb EB I-4 Mustang may be just the ticket for luring Fusion buyers back into a sports coupe

good performance and very impressive fuel economy similar to EB Fusion's 26/37 mpg....

To each his own, but when I think of a Mustang and once owned one, I think of the throaty V8 sound whether it be bubbling or barking, not the sound of a present EB like the SHO and especially an EB I4 no matter how much power it has. Even the new Mustang V6 makes some decent sounds, although nothing like the V8. With V8 Mustang, I don't have to see it, I know what it is just by its signature sound. Take away the sound and Mustang loses a lot. Long live the V8 no matter what it takes with new CAFE rules. When it comes to sporty cars, sound probably makes up 50% of the desirability to me. If a Mustang or Porsche sounded like a thrashy 14 to me, there would be ZERO desirability no matter how great it looked on outside. Sound makes those cars.

• Like 1

To each his own, but when I think of a Mustang and once owned one, I think of the throaty V8 sound whether it be bubbling or barking, not the sound of a present EB like the SHO and especially an EB I4 no matter how much power it has. Even the new Mustang V6 makes some decent sounds, although nothing like the V8. With V8 Mustang, I don't have to see it, I know what it is just by its signature sound. Take away the sound and Mustang loses a lot. Long live the V8 no matter what it takes with new CAFE rules. When it comes to sporty cars, sound probably makes up 50% of the desirability to me. If a Mustang or Porsche sounded like a thrashy 14 to me, there would be ZERO desirability no matter how great it looked on outside. Sound makes those cars.

Well said. I could not agree more. The last Mustang I owned was a GT and in window down weather I preferred the exhaust sound to the sound system. There is nothing like a great V-8. It is like comparing a Harley to a mo-ped as far as the sound quality goes. Loudness is not the key factor, it is the quality and depth of the sound.

I don't hear anyone saying that the Mustang won't continue to offer a V8. But offering an EB4 might just broaden the appeal to others who don't want a V8.

So why doesn't the Mustang have MFT? The system finally gets good and they leave the old cruddy system in place?

Was probably an either/or decision with the new track info system becoming available. Let's remember this version of the Mustang isn't going to be around more than a couple years anyway.

Was probably an either/or decision with the new track info system becoming available. Let's remember this version of the Mustang isn't going to be around more than a couple years anyway.

How big is the screen on the Clarion system? Maybe that's the issue, they can't fit the 8" screen in the Stang.

The new track info system is way cool. After reading review, Ford did a much more comprehensive MCE than what meets the eye at first. Kudos to Mustang engineers. The Mustang GT and Boss are very desirable sports cars. Love the track package and well worth the extra bucks. They surely put a huge smile on your face.

• Like 1

How big is the screen on the Clarion system? Maybe that's the issue, they can't fit the 8" screen in the Stang.

6" or so would be my guess. The 8" screen surely could have been made to fit, but it may have required quite a bit of work behind the dash that they weren't willing to do on a MCE.

So why doesn't the Mustang have MFT? The system finally gets good and they leave the old cruddy system in place?

The Clarion nav/infotainment system is among the best OEM units available. Perhaps Ford didn't want to take a chance on messing up the 2013 refresh of what's arguably its most highly regarded passenger car by adding MFT.

Edited by aneekr
  • Like 1

The current rear axle in the Mustang is quite remarkable. However, the baggage associated with a Mustang solid rear axle is well earned. The old 4-link live axle that Ford stuck in the Mustang from 1979 to 2004 was garbage. The current S197 setup should have been built into SN95 back in 1994. The rear axle in my '01 Bullitt is sloppy and getting worse as the bushings age (58,000 mi). I'm currently looking at upgrading to an aftermarket setup with a panhard bar. I shouldn't have to.

• Like 1

The current rear axle in the Mustang is quite remarkable. However, the baggage associated with a Mustang solid rear axle is well earned. The old 4-link live axle that Ford stuck in the Mustang from 1979 to 2004 was garbage. The current S197 setup should have been built into SN95 back in 1994. The rear axle in my '01 Bullitt is sloppy and getting worse as the bushings age (58,000 mi). I'm currently looking at upgrading to an aftermarket setup with a panhard bar. I shouldn't have to.

Of course rubber bushings degrade with time. And yeah, the factory pieces aren't the greatest, but the aftermarket can truly make the 4-link rear shine if an owner so wishes it to. Probably the weakest link in the handling ability of the SN95 was the sloppy flexible body that required the use of a somewhat squishy and forgiving suspension design so as not to kill the driver with body flex and cowl shake. To really make an SN95 handle well would have required a lot more than just adding the S197 3-link design. The body would have required some sigifnicant reworking as well.

Edited by NickF1011

I don't hear anyone saying that the Mustang won't continue to offer a V8. But offering an EB4 might just broaden the appeal to others who don't want a V8.

The V8 wont be going away soon, who knows it may even be downsized and EB'ed....as far as the turbo fourgos, i was not told if its a performance varient or a CAFE buster....my vote gos to the later....but theres also some strong rumours that the 2.0 may be becoming a 2.3 with numbers serious enough to perhaps, perhaps, give some credence to an SVO re-birth............man i love Mustang blogs, they always, ALWAYS get response galore....

Well said. I could not agree more. The last Mustang I owned was a GT and in window down weather I preferred the exhaust sound to the sound system. There is nothing like a great V-8. It is like comparing a Harley to a mo-ped as far as the sound quality goes. Loudness is not the key factor, it is the quality and depth of the sound.

sidebar...the same has been said about Fords 3 cylinders soundtrack..........

Of course rubber bushings degrade with time. And yeah, the factory pieces aren't the greatest, but the aftermarket can truly make the 4-link rear shine if an owner so wishes it to. Probably the weakest link in the handling ability of the SN95 was the sloppy flexible body that required the use of a somewhat squishy and forgiving suspension design so as not to kill the driver with body flex and cowl shake. To really make an SN95 handle well would have required a lot more than just adding the S197 3-link design. The body would have required some sigifnicant reworking as well.

Did you do any upgrades to your Cobra's suspension? Or did you spend it all on that bitch'in motor?

Did you do any upgrades to your Cobra's suspension? Or did you spend it all on that bitch'in motor?

So far:

Front Suspension:

AJE Racing K-Member

AJE Racing A-Arms

Strange Aluminum Adjustable Shocks (10-Way)

Strange Hypercoil Coil-Over Springs (175 lb)

BBK Caster/Camber Plates

Stock 29mm Stabilizer Bar

Polyurethane Bushings

Rear Suspension:

UPR Pro-Series Chrome-Moly Double Adjustable Upper Control Arms

Mega Bite Jr. Lower Control Arms

Tokico Illumina Adjustable Shocks (5-Way)

Eibach Pro-Kit Progressive Rate Springs

Stock 27mm Stabilizer Bar

Polyurethane Bushings

Looking into some solutions to stiffen the chassis up. Can't run traditional subframe connectors due to the Roush side exhaust. Probably end up with a 6-point roll bar in it.

Edited by NickF1011

The V8 wont be going away soon, who knows it may even be downsized and EB'ed....as far as the turbo fourgos, i was not told if its a performance varient or a CAFE buster....my vote gos to the later....but theres also some strong rumours that the 2.0 may be becoming a 2.3 with numbers serious enough to perhaps, perhaps, give some credence to an SVO re-birth............man i love Mustang blogs, they always, ALWAYS get response galore....

I've heard much of the same. I would expect a downsized EB variant of the coyote (4.0L?) to debut in the next 5 years, producing anywhere from 425-475hp, depending on the application. The 5.0L will probably remain standard GT running gear for a bit longer, with BOSS models exceeding 500hp by the end of the decade.

As far as the 2.3L EB goes, it should produce around 265hp. Considering the the 4.6L V8 was doing the same just 8 years ago (WITH TWICE THE DISPLACEMENT), I would consider such an engine a no-brainer for CAFE busting. A 35MPG variant with a broad torque curve could be just what the 2014 model needs to eclipse the Camaro in sales.