Ford January 2012 Sales Figures

The strength of your logic, your ability to construct a conclusion any reasonable person could understand, why, it's just. I... I'm ... It brings tears to my eyes.

By gum, "It is", so clear, so flawless. Why, I'm tempted to respond with "I know you are, but what am I."

Oh spare me the psychobable nonsense Richard. Like I'm the only one around here that has ever espoused that what I believe X car company should do is the right thing to do. 90% of the guys around here do it all the time including you.

Edited by BlackHorse

Well, I guess we can just sum up what you're looking for with this: "You're right, Blackhorse. The Mustang is way overpriced, Ford doesn't have a clue. The Focus is a piece of shit, Ford doesn't have a clue. You're right Blackhorse and we're wrong."

Now, will you please give it up? Or add something meaningful?

I think Black Horse is right. At least with cars, Ford doesn't appear to have a clue. The F-150 and to a less extent the Explorer and Escape are carrying the company. None of the cars are doing well. I hope Ford can turn things aroung with the new Fusion.

At the risk of digging up an old meme from BON, Mustang is selling over 2,000 per month. Therefore, it's doing perfectly fine. ;)

Seriously, though, the 'Stang has shown a lot of variability in its recent January sales:

2008 - 6,545

2009 - 2,944

2010 - 4,747

2011 - 3,165

2012 - 3,736

Not sure what conclusions can be drawn from that.

I think the conclusion that can be drawn, is January sales of a sport coupe/Pony car are a crap shoot. Sometimes you do ok, but most of the time, it is one of the slowest months of the year for this segment.

However, if you want to get all technical, based on last January and this one, you could say the Mustang is trending up.

I'm sorry I couldn't hear anything over the baby crying guys. Go ahead.

Wow. Why don't you check yourself--go back and look at the childish posts you made just on this topic, then come back and try to tell me I'm the crying baby. It's no wonder you didn't get your Focus repaired. You're nothing more than a petulant 7 year old.

I think Black Horse is right. At least with cars, Ford doesn't appear to have a clue. The F-150 and to a less extent the Explorer and Escape are carrying the company. None of the cars are doing well. I hope Ford can turn things aroung with the new Fusion.

Huh? All Blackhorse has said is "3736". As if that is proof of anything. When questioned as though his approach his correct, the only response he can formulate is "It is". Otherwise, he calls people a "crying baby" or tells them to "grow up". At this point, nothing he has to add is constructive. He's a troll and it's evident that he was a troll from Day 1 with his Focus nonsense.

At least with cars, Ford doesn't appear to have a clue. The F-150 and to a less extent the Explorer and Escape are carrying the company. None of the cars are doing well. I hope Ford can turn things aroung with the new Fusion.

Please look at 2011 Ford North America sales totals. Notice that cars, utilities & truck sales are very balanced, and in no way supports your comment that Ford does not have a clue about selling its car line.

Cars 722,501

Utilities 616,063

Trucks 810,242

Source http://media.ford.com/images/10031/Dec11sales.pdf

Which is right on track for what Mulally set out in his inital plans, to which as the sales numbers show resulted in a balanced product portfolio with a complete family of small, medium and large cars, utilities and trucks.

Before Mulally your comment is valid IMO, but the numbers show you are out of touch with what is happening at this time.

More like January is a heavy fleet month for summer cars like the Mustang, and the variance is due to the presence or absence of sizable orders from rental agencies.

Yeah, I think the fleet sales are staying away from Mustang....probably the V6 variant too..

And the reason Ford has $3,000 incentive on GT Mustangs is because buyers are scarce on the ground but

at those levels, we're talking $6 to 9 Million in Incentives - a great tool to revive sales without costing much,

That's peanuts on pounds compared to a heavy advertising campaign that may or may not work...

Edited by jpd80

but , dredging through the diatribe, Blackhorse seems focused solely on ever escalating MSRPS and their effects on sales numbers. Well lets add some light here, Fords not the only manufacturer burdened with the ever increasing manufacturing and material cost increases, hand in hand with escalating consumer expectations and demands , what exactly does one expect...a market of bargains?....a plethora of Tatas, Skodas and ( getting closer to home )stripped Versas?????? You get what you pay for, to a certain extent one can blame mandated safety regulations, consequent weight has been added which effects a cars economy, so now lets add in expected MPG improvements, think countering weight may effect engineering costs?....so, to look at this in a logical manner, one has to look at how the immediate competition addresses the same issues..are the Mustangs competitors cheaper?, do they out-perform? do they sell in significantly higher numbers?.....answer those questions and it boils down to one answer...everybody is in the same boat....MSRPS will continue to rise, it is what it is....

Just as the concept of building better equipped cars that cost more escapes some..

It's much easier on resources to build less base models and concentrate more expensive mid and high series

Even though volume suffers, the rate of return versus money spent on supplies and labor expended is much better...

Ford is out of the business of selling cheap cars for everyone who wants one, there's no money in it anymore..

Edited by jpd80

If you were in America and able to take a trip down to just about any local Ford dealer what you'll find is that the $22,000 Mustang is just about non-existent. You might find "one" and that would be on the lot of a dealer with a lot of Mustang inventory. The average price that you're going to find for the V6 is somewhere around 25 to 27K.

The local dealer here for instance has 38 Mustangs in stock, 12 of which are GT's and not one of the GT's has a price tag below 35 thousand so this notion of go get yourself a 25K GT is a lot of internet bluster for the most part. On the V6 side, they have 2 that are in the 23K range and from there the price tags jump to 24.5 / 25K and up to 29K

You may have a point about some Mustang models being overpriced, but dang Blackhorse, you can't base your argument off FRICKIN SALES IN JANUARY, the coldest and darkest month of year. Most cold weather area drivers store their sporty cars away in winter. I know mine is tucked away in heated garage with cover over it and battery tender hooked up and 45 lbs. or air in tires. Next you will be wondering why so few convertibles are sold in FRICKIN JANUARY! Wait a few months and then see what sporty car sales look like. Lots of sporty cars have come and gone over the decades, and save for Corvette,911, Ferrari and Mustang, all or most are long gone. Yeah, $35,000-$40,000 sounds like lots of money for a Mustang GT, but then it's a V8 with over 400hp. In today's world, that doesn't come cheap. A 911 Carrera S with 400hp will run you North of $100,000. So Mustang and Camaro V8 still represent good bang for the buck. Everything is relative.

• Like 1