Ford January 2012 Sales Figures

I didn't say the price increase was unjustified for the car. I'm just saying the car is priced right out of the market.

As for what the young buyers will go out and buy. It won't be the used Mustang. They go out and get Civics.

So you think a 305hp Mustang with a list price of $22,000 is priced out of the market? I know cars are cheap in America but I am surprised that people would think that this beast of car is priced out its market.

When I compared the base Mustang to its competition, the Stanger is $2,000 to $3,000 lower in price, and up to $4,000 if one considers the Genesis Coupe in the group.

Not being in America, maybe one with knowledge can advise what the current average price is expected for this segment of the market.

Reading the listed MSRP's from the cars in this group, it appears Mustang pricing is under priced.

So you think a 305hp Mustang with a list price of $22,000 is priced out of the market? I know cars are cheap in America but I am surprised that people would think that this beast of car is priced out its market.

When I compared the base Mustang to its competition, the Stanger is $2,000 to $3,000 lower in price, and up to $4,000 if one considers the Genesis Coupe in the group.

Not being in America, maybe one with knowledge can advise what the current average price is expected for this segment of the market.

Reading the listed MSRP's from the cars in this group, it appears Mustang pricing is under priced.

Relative pricing, a base V8 non GT Mustang with 380 hp F150 5.0 could be fitted and sold for around $25,000...

If you were in America and able to take a trip down to just about any local Ford dealer what you'll find is that the $22,000 Mustang is just about non-existent. You might find "one" and that would be on the lot of a dealer with a lot of Mustang inventory. The average price that you're going to find for the V6 is somewhere around 25 to 27K.

The local dealer here for instance has 38 Mustangs in stock, 12 of which are GT's and not one of the GT's has a price tag below 35 thousand so this notion of go get yourself a 25K GT is a lot of internet bluster for the most part. On the V6 side, they have 2 that are in the 23K range and from there the price tags jump to 24.5 / 25K and up to 29K

Edited by BlackHorse

If you were in America and able to take a trip down to just about any local Ford dealer what you'll find is that the $22,000 Mustang is just about non-existent. You might find "one" and that would be on the lot of a dealer with a lot of Mustang inventory. The average price that you're going to find for the V6 is somewhere around 25 to 27K.

The local dealer here for instance has 38 Mustangs in stock, 12 of which are GT's and not one of the GT's has a price tag below 35 thousand so this notion of go get yourself a 25K GT is a lot of internet bluster for the most part. On the V6 side, they have 2 that are in the 23K range and from there the price tags jump to 24.5 / 25K and up to 29K

Keep this in mind...the base price of the Mustang went up considerably in 2009....you know why? Because all the features that where optional on my 2006 Mustang GT became standard and other options where added to the car, driving up the price more...I'm sure this was done for two reasons: this was the way that people where ordering them and Ford was implementing its "every platform needs to pay for itself" mantra at the time.

I never buy a car off the lot unless its optioned out the way I want it....if I'm going to spend big money on something, I sure as hell want it the way I want it optioned out and waiting 3 months or so isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things. If I was going to get another Mustang GT, it would cost me about $35K, which is about 5K more then what I paid for my GT 6 years ago...but with alot more options on it that I couldn't even get on my car.

In 1991, my Mustang GT was $16,900. It had cloth seats, power windows and locks, and a 5-speed trans. It had the upgraded stereo, which was nothing close to the base stereo in the V6 car, and came with 16" aluminum wheels and Goodyear tires.

It made 225hp, and had rear drum brakes.

With inflation, todays V6 is the spiritual successor to my GT. It makes 305hp, gets 31mpg, and has a 6-speed. There are no drum brakes anywhere to be found, and it has a stereo that my '91 could only dream about in the aftermarket. It is faster, handles much better, and gets amazing mileage. It will protect you in a crash of incredible proportions. Basically, it is infinitally better than my '91 could have dreamt to be, for very similar money (inflation taken into account).

What hasn't kept up with inflation is wages. This is what has lowered younger peoples buying power. The car actually hasn't changed much at all, in relation to price.

How many young people can afford the insurance on a Mustang anyway?

And I don't care that these vehicles used to sell 14k per month---Ford used to have over 75% of the U.S. market with one vehicle. Times change. Either you change or you die.

3736 units sold in January.

Not going to stay alive for long like that.

I paid the insurance on a brand new Camaro when I was 22. But guess what, the car only cost 17K to begin with so it was affordable. Checkmate.

Edited by BlackHorse

Mustang is not just a 'young car anymore', it's meant for all ages. Kids today want a new smart phone and notebook computer every 6 months, and don't want to drive. 'Mom does that'.

They prefer to sit looking at screens 'chatting' and not meet "friends" in person.* So no desire for a car, until they "have to go to work" and then it's what 'has a good reputation' like a Civic.

Have to aim Mustangs for people with jobs, money, and a life.

* I am being satirical, but it's true teens are just not into cars as the Boomer muscle car era or even the 90's Civic Si era.

Edited by 630land

Mustang is not just a 'young car anymore', it's meant for all ages. Kids today want a new smart phone and notebook computer every 6 months, and don't want to drive. 'Mom does that'.

They prefer to sit looking at screens 'chatting' and not meet "friends" in person.* So no desire for a car, until they "have to go to work" and then it's what 'has a good reputation' like a Civic.

Have to aim Mustangs for people with jobs, money, and a life.

* I am being satirical, but it's true teens are just not into cars as the Boomer muscle car era or even the 90's Civic Si era.

Problem is, the people you describe don't buy Mustangs because it doesn't work for their lifestyle.

Hence 3736 units sold. lol

Because the world is exactly the same as it was then, right? Meaning that Ford's strategy then would work just as well today.

3736 units sold.

You think this working or what?

No its not. Before you even come back at me with some lame drawn out business theory. The answer is "no" its not working.

Edited by BlackHorse
  • Like 1

Problem is, the people you describe don't buy Mustangs because it doesn't work for their lifestyle.

Hence 3736 units sold. lol

Sports coupes are the barometer for the market and at the moment,everyone appears to be

in responsible mode buying sedans, CUVs, SUVsor trucks, vehicles with more utility.

Sure Ford could/should sell a $25,000 LX with F150 V8 but would buyers come running back?

I think so with rising SAARs, buyer confidence will return but perhaps production is better linked

with another set of vehicle(s) by someone who will appreciates RWD and who does the right thing.

FoA could be global custodians of RWD cars and export them globally as RHD and LHD.

Edited by jpd80

Well, it's not as if there are no new designs coming. But this again shows that the market for coupes is fickle and when anyone complains about lack of Taurus, Fusion, or Focus 2 door, ask where are the buyers?

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that everytime a company comes out with a coupe version of a sedan for some unjustifiable reason it costs more than the sedan.

The Accord sedan starts at 21,380 and the coupe at 22,980

Altima sedan starts at 20,550 and the coupe starts at 23,780

I could go on and on but you get the idaa. So customers are standing on the lot going "Wait a minute, the coupe actually take less overall material to make by way of having less doors and you're going to charge me more for it."

Small wonder that coupe versions don't sell well. Once again, they've been priced right out of the market.

Edited by BlackHorse
  • Like 1

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that everytime a company comes out with a coupe version of a sedan for some unjustifiable reason it costs more than the sedan.

The Accord sedan starts at 21,380 and the coupe at 22,980

Altima sedan starts at 20,550 and the coupe starts at 23,780

I could go on and on but you get the idaa. So customers are standing on the lot going "Wait a minute, the coupe actually take less overall material to make by way of having less doors and you're going to charge me more for it."

Small wonder that coupe versions don't sell well. Once again, they've been priced right out of the market.

Could it be that markets are moving away from coupes and that buyers these days want more utility?

If the sedan design is more popular then it shouldn't bear the costs of making the coupe variant.

The pricing by manufacturers is now clearly reflecting profitability ahead of production volume.

These days, user pays...

Could it be that markets are moving away from coupes and that buyers these days want more utility?

If the sedan design is more popular then it shouldn't bear the costs of making the coupe variant.

The pricing by manufacturers is now clearly reflecting profitability ahead of production volume.

These days, user pays...

I don't think anyone actually knows which way markets are moving, especially the car makers. The sedan design is probably more popular only because they charge too much for the coupe and there's no reason why the coupe shouldn't have a lower price tag in most cases when comparing apples to apples i.e. feature content and powertrain.

Edited by BlackHorse

3736 units sold.

You think this working or what?

No its not. Before you even come back at me with some lame drawn out business theory. The answer is "no" its not working.

Well, I guess we can just sum up what you're looking for with this: "You're right, Blackhorse. The Mustang is way overpriced, Ford doesn't have a clue. The Focus is a piece of shit, Ford doesn't have a clue. You're right Blackhorse and we're wrong."

Now, will you please give it up? Or add something meaningful?

• Like 1

Well, I guess we can just sum up what you're looking for with this: "You're right, Blackhorse. The Mustang is way overpriced, Ford doesn't have a clue. The Focus is a piece of shit, Ford doesn't have a clue. You're right Blackhorse and we're wrong."

Now, will you please give it up? Or add something meaningful?

I'm sorry I couldn't hear anything over the baby crying guys. Go ahead.

I don't think anyone actually knows which way markets are moving, especially the car makers. The sedan design is probably more popular only because they charge too much for the coupe and there's no reason why the coupe shouldn't have a lower price tag in most cases when comparing apples to apples i.e. feature content and powertrain.

It all gets back to who buys what products and why....and how much those people are prepared to pay but with that,

there is pretty good evidence that buyers now want more utility in their vehicles and Coupes don't really do that.

You are right though, price has a bearing on how many people buy a certain product and most likely, Ford knew

that well equipped cars with higher prices was going to thin the buyer numbers.