2012 Detroit Autoshow

Great pics! I've found that I like the MKZ more based on your pics. However, I still think the grill is a tad too small. All the painted surfaces makes it look bulky.

I agree, the MKZ fascia is too shrunken down. For some reason there was no spokesperson for the MKZ concept and the doors were closed.

Escape looks really sharp in Tuxedo Black, wow.

LOVE that Fiesta ST. Great exterior update, hope the Fiesta's MCE is essentially that.

Still shocked by how great the front of that Fusion is. I do believe Teams Malibu, Accord, Camry, etc are scrambling about now.

The Escape was a big hit on the showroom floor, seemed to draw the most attention and lots of positive comments. I absolutely love the new Escape, inside and out it seems like the perfect vehicle.

• Like 2

Thanks for the pictures. The cars look just great. I take it you couldn't get a interior shot of the Fiesta ST. It's probably carry over anyway for a concept with no hints for a MCE. The blue on the Focus ST is fantastic! I was surprised the Kodiak Brown on the Escape is very nice but the Black is better. What colour was the Flex? It looked like Atlantis Green which is a colour I miss. The Fusion looks just amazing. The Taurus is great too. I have a soft spot in my heart for it.

Thanks for the pictures. The cars look just great. I take it you couldn't get a interior shot of the Fiesta ST. It's probably carry over anyway for a concept with no hints for a MCE. The blue on the Focus ST is fantastic! I was surprised the Kodiak Brown on the Escape is very nice but the Black is better. What colour was the Flex? It looked like Atlantis Green which is a colour I miss. The Fusion looks just amazing. The Taurus is great too. I have a soft spot in my heart for it.

Nope, the Fiesta ST was locked up tight. The Flex was Tuxedo black, actually all the Fords around that "Cloud" ride are Tuxedo black. I think the Ford Edge remains my favorite Ford however, probably going to stick with those products for the foreseeable future.

Great pics! I've found that I like the MKZ more based on your pics. However, I still think the grill is a tad too small. All the painted surfaces makes it look bulky.

ditto great pix & semiDITTO:

overall the Z looks more uniformly 'good' instead a mix of only-ok + a few great angles

& your pix of the rear don't make me think of Oldsmobile (got any more rear shots? esp full car?)

still don't like anything about the front:

- esp the "ribcage" grille :eek:

- except the "L" ridges on the hood (Nice!)(like the MKS)

for a styling aiming at elegant simplicity, the front is extremely complicated

Edited by 2b2

Anyone have night time or dark room photos of the front and rear lights?

I love what car makers are doing with individual LED's or light strips (Audi in particular) and I find the front lights on the new Fusion to be really nice. I would like to know if the 6 jeweled lines on the sides of the projectors serve any purpose at night. Maybe they look like cat whiskers? that would be cool.

Nice pics. . . I, too, was VERY impressed with both the new and updated stuff at Ford. LOTS of people checking out the new Escape, and I heard several people (and one in my group) say stuff along the lines of "THAT'S the EScape? It's MUCH nicer." I really liked the Escape in person and also the Fusion which thankfully (to me, anyway) has only about 2 to 4 percent Sonata in the re-design. The front end is REALLY nice. Also, the Focus STs and the Fiesta ST looked excellent.

My giant high-res photo gallery is finally up. It was a great show and Ford had lots to obsess over. Enjoy!

http://www.mikekukielka.com/gallery/v/2012+Detroit+Autoshow/

Thanks once again for your great coverage.

A lot of the posters here could learn a lot from looking at your detailed pics of the new Cadillac ATS body-in-white to learn about body structure and ponder what it would really take to make a structure shorter/longer/wider. I would like to see less use of the phrase "it would be easy to ......." Also another thing to note. The spare tire area used to always be round to accomodate a spare. But in the ATS it's square which looks more like a provision for batteries -- maybe for start/stop or a mild hybrid at some point in the future? On a new platform, if you don't have that built in, you're missing a bet.

I'm a little confused on the battery packaging and tray on the C-Max's. On the Energi, it looks like the battery stands up behind the seats, so they built a flat shelf over it, with a provision for opening up the rear most portion that doesn't have the battery? But I'm also not so sure if the battery for the C-Max Hybrid takes up luggage room? I guess I'll see in more detail tomorrow.

Thanks again for taking the time.

Edit: I've taken another look, and the ATS "box in the trunk" below the load floor is quite large. It goes rail-to-rail and likely could accomodate enough batteries for a full hybrid with no loss in luggage space.

Edited by Austin

All of those fusion pics and not one of the trunk being open like some of the others.

With the design of the fusion, it would be interesting to see if it's compromised the size of the opening of the trunk.

In this cars.com video the reviewer opens the trunk on the Hybrid (Note-obvious problem with the trunk lid on the show car, it does not stay open)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHi9GPeg1uI&feature=related

In this cars.com video the reviewer opens the trunk on the Hybrid (Note-obvious problem with the trunk lid on the show car, it does not stay open)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHi9GPeg1uI&feature=related

Thanks. Good video..

He mentioned the hybrid trunk loses 20-30% of the trunk volume. Hard to really see the space without more light .

The trunk goes well into the bumper. Interesting solution as it will be accessed more from the rear than from above.

The Escape was a big hit on the showroom floor, seemed to draw the most attention and lots of positive comments. I absolutely love the new Escape, inside and out it seems like the perfect vehicle.

Thanks for the pics!

So now you're ok with the CD slot being on top of the dash? I recall some grumbling previously...

Nice ones. You caught the ATS real well.

The ATS may not be something terribly exciting to look at, but it's a nice design with some great tech, definitely a fan.

Dear Borg (Mike) Thanks again for posting your fantastic pics. It really is the next best thing to being there. I love the close up detail shots. It looks like the Escape and Fusion will be Grand Slams. I haven't been as excited about a new model since the '05 Mustang.

I often forget to take full-view pictures because I want to shoot all the details not covered in the press photos ;).

Anyone have night time or dark room photos of the front and rear lights?

I love what car makers are doing with individual LED's or light strips (Audi in particular) and I find the front lights on the new Fusion to be really nice. I would like to know if the 6 jeweled lines on the sides of the projectors serve any purpose at night. Maybe they look like cat whiskers? that would be cool.

I have a Fusion Gallery with some photos which might have what you're looking for.

http://www.mikekukielka.com/gallery/v/2013+Ford+Fusion/

Thanks for the pics!

So now you're ok with the CD slot being on top of the dash? I recall some grumbling previously...

Yeah, I'm getting over it, although I still want to see a more Fusion/Edge/Explorer like dash in the Escape and Focus.