2013 Ford Fusion Introduced!

Blue Oval Guide

New Ford Fusion Brings More Technology, Expected Triple Crown of Best-in-Class Gas, Hybrid, Plug-In Efficiency

FRD2012010883495_PV.jpg

• New Ford Fusion is the first sedan to offer gasoline, hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrains, each with expected top fuel economy, underscoring Ford’s commitment to give customers the power of choice

• With seven must-have technologies, including a Lane Keeping System, adaptive cruise control, active park assist and MyFord Touch®, the all-new Ford Fusion shows how Ford is delivering features customers truly want and value

• Customers can choose from Fusion’s widest-ever portfolio of fuel-efficient powertrains including EcoBoost™, hybrid and plug-in hybrid engines; automatic and manual transmission offerings; and auto start stop technology

• Revealed in North America as the midsize Fusion sedan, this all-new car signals the next-generation Ford Mondeo for world markets

Soundbites: All-New Ford Fusion

Ford Fusion Forum.com – Ford’s all-new Fusion brings alive the next generation of more expressive vehicles from Ford and is the first sedan to offer gasoline, hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions – each expected to deliver top fuel economy and an engaging driving experience.

Featuring a sleek silhouette and fresh face, the all-new Fusion is the latest in a series of vehicles from Ford – following the 2011 Fiesta subcompact and 2012 Focus small cars – developed to satisfy customers everywhere who want leading fuel efficiency, helpful technologies and game-changing looks.

“Our vision for Fusion was clear – deliver the very best of what One Ford stands for,” said Derrick Kuzak, group vice president of Global Product Development. “We brought our global teams together around a blank slate with the charge to develop a midsize car with groundbreaking design and jaw-dropping fuel economy – one that featured technologies to help make our customers safer and better drivers. This car is the result.”

FRD2012010883393_PV.jpg

Fusion is revealed in North America in S, SE and range-topping Titanium series and points to the next Ford Mondeo for world markets.

Triple-crown fuel efficiency

The new Fusion is expected to deliver best-in-class fuel economy across customers’ choice of gasoline, hybrid and plug-in hybrid sub-segments, following through with the commitment by Ford to be the fuel-efficiency leader – or among the leaders – with each new model brought to market.

Fusion brings the broadest selection of fuel-efficient powertrains in the midsize car segment. It offers hybrid and plug-in hybrid alternatives, a pair of EcoBoost™ four-cylinder engines, a normally aspirated four-cylinder engine, an automatic start stop system to shut off the engine at stationary idle, front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive applications, and a choice between automatic and manually shifted six-speed transmissions.

The 1.6-liter EcoBoost is expected to deliver best-in-class four-cylinder non-hybrid fuel efficiency of 26 mpg in the city and 37 mpg on the highway. The 2.0-liter EcoBoost engine – paired with a paddle-shifted six-speed SelectShift Automatic™ transmission, available 19-inch wheels and tires, and all-wheel drive with the ability to send additional torque to the rear – is the Fusion performance option.

FRD2012010883503_PV.jpg

Ford Fusion Hybrid

2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid

The Fusion Hybrid – 2010 North American Car of the Year – continues to innovate and evolve with all-new lithium-ion batteries that save weight and generate more power than previous nickel-metal hydride batteries, while raising maximum speed under electric-only power from 47 mph to 62 mph.

Fusion Hybrid also features an all-new 2.0-liter Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder gasoline engine, significantly downsized from the previous 2.5-liter unit while maintaining performance standards. This innovative powertrain is anticipated to deliver best-in-class fuel economy of 47 mpg in city driving and 44 mpg on the highway.

Fusion Hybrid fuel economy stands to outperform the 2012 Toyota Camry Hybrid by 4 mpg city and 5 mpg highway and the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid by 12 mpg and 4 mpg, respectively.

FRD2012010883626_PV.jpg

Ford Fusion Energi

2013 Ford Fusion Energi

Click here to download related images.

Topping the fuel-efficiency ladder is the Fusion Energi plug-in hybrid, aiming to be the most fuel-efficient midsize car in the world. Arriving this fall, Fusion Energi is anticipated to deliver more than 100 MPGe, a mile per gallon equivalency metric for electrified vehicles. This is 8 MPGe more than the Chevrolet Volt and 13 MPGe more than the projected efficiency of the Toyota Prius plug-in hybrid model.

The next-generation Fusion 1.6-liter is the first automatic-transmission Ford product offered with an automatic start stop system. It shuts off engine power smoothly when the car is stopped and seamlessly restarts as the driver releases the brake pedal, helping Fusion to reduce fuel consumption and emissions by approximately 3.5 percent.

Fusion looks out for you

The all-new Fusion offers an unprecedented portfolio of driver assistance and convenience technologies based on sensors, cameras and radar that enable the car to see and respond.

Fusion can help drivers maintain proper lane position, adjust vehicle speed to changing traffic conditions, identify suitable parking spaces and help park, even aiding drivers backing out of parking space where visibility is obstructed. Specific technologies include:

Lane Keeping System: This class-exclusive technology consists of three elements to help a driver maintain proper lane position. Using a small, forward-facing camera behind the inside rearview mirror, the system “looks” down the road, monitoring lane lines to determine that the car is on course. The system will alert a driver if drowsiness or erratic lane-keeping is detected. The second element warns a driver with a steering wheel vibration if the Fusion drifts too close to lane markings. Finally, lane keeping aid will actually apply pressure on the steering to help bring the car back into proper lane position

Adaptive cruise control: Using forward-looking radar, this system “looks” down the road when activated, slowing the Fusion when slower traffic is detected ahead. Adaptive cruise control enables collision warning with brake support to help slow the car if the potential of a crash is detected

Active park assist: Employing sensors, this technology can identify a suitable parallel parking space, calculate the trajectory and steer the car to properly position it within the spot. All a driver need do is operate accelerator and brake pedals

Blind Spot Information System (BLIS®) with cross-traffic alert: Sensors in both Fusion rear quarter-panels are able to detect traffic in a driver’s blind spot, providing both audible and visual warnings if traffic – unseen by the driver – is detected. BLIS technology enables cross-traffic alert, warning the driver of oncoming traffic when backing out of a parking space with obstructed views, such as between two large vans

FRD2012010882913_PV.jpg

The power of voice

The all-new Fusion offers the latest iteration of Ford’s award-winning, industry-exclusive SYNC® communications and entertainment system, which enables voice-activated communication through a driver’s mobile phone and interaction with the car’s audio system.

Fusion also offers the latest version of MyFord Touch®, allowing a driver to interact with vehicle systems through voice control, a touch screen tap or a conventional button.

Both SYNC and MyFord Touch – powered by SYNC – help reduce the potential for driver distraction through voice-controlled functionality, allowing drivers to keep hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.

FRD2012010882827_PV.jpg

Different, by design

“The previous Fusion was an easy purchase for a customer to rationalize,” said Chris Hamilton, chief exterior designer for the next-generation model. “Our design goal for the new car was to give the mainstream sedan buyer a top-drawer visual experience, adding some emotional appeal to an already sensible choice.”

These five elements provided direction for the design team behind the all-new Fusion:

Silhouette innovation: Fusion’s sleek profile sets it apart from the powertrain/cabin/trunk “three-box” designs synonymous with midsize sedans

Perceived efficiency: Fusion character lines sweeping to the rear and thin roof pillars suggest the car is nimble and light on its feet

Refined surface language: Fusion demonstrates that a tasteful, well-executed design does not require add-ons or visual clutter

Technical graphics: Fusion’s functional design elements such as headlamps, LED taillamps and polished exhaust tips communicate enhanced technological capability

New face: Fusion signals the next evolution in Ford global design language for midsize cars and smaller

Inside, the new Fusion offers a sporty, driver-oriented environment with next-generation seating that brings expanded functionality. A higher center console supports the driver-centric theme and yields clever storage for items a driver wants to keep handy.

Additional passenger space was designed-in by moving the instrument panel toward the windshield, contributing to the cabin’s airy, open environment. Thinner, lighter frames support the comfortable next-generation seats trimmed with fabric using recycled sustainable yarns.

FRD2012010883562_PV.jpg

Craftsmanship plus dynamics equals feel

Fusion design delivers on the promise of high visual quality, with improved materials, elevated levels of craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Interior surfaces are softer to the touch and interior and exterior gaps are minimized, while extra care has been taken to upholster or cover each edge and every surface a customer can touch. When the trunk lid is opened, for example, a spring-loaded cover automatically conceals the trunk latch hardware.

“The holistic goal of our craftsmanship process is to see that Fusion not only delivers a superior visual experience but also feels like quality to the customer,” said Adrian Whittle, Fusion chief engineer.

Key contributors to how the Fusion feelsare the ride and handling components that maximize vehicle dynamics.

“This really is a driver’s car,” said John Jraiche, program manager. “Fusion is even more fun to drive with specially tuned electric power-assisted steering (EPAS), a MacPherson strut front suspension and an all-new premium-level multilink rear suspension – comparable to Audi and BMW configurations.”

Careful tuning by Ford’s vehicle handling and ride team has yielded a Fusion with a dynamic character that will please a well-seasoned enthusiast while increasing the confidence level of less-experienced drivers.

Fusion interior quiet reaches a new level with acoustic underbody shields and weight-saving sound-absorption material; both minimize road and powertrain noise while boosting aerodynamic efficiency to help save fuel. The all-new model adds content such as a full-perimeter hood seal to be among the midsize sedan segment leaders in giving drivers a quiet ride.

Fusion Hybrid and Fusion Energi models also are equipped with active noise control. This feature uses the audio system to mitigate extraneous road noise while enhancing powertrain sounds.

Strength and safety

Fusion is designed with customer safety in mind. Engineers increased its body strength by 10 percent, using more high-strength steels such as boron, and added dual first-row knee airbags and adaptive front airbags that vent and tether to conform to a specific occupant’s size, position and seatbelt usage.

The Fusion safety team targeted top-of-the-line ratings in each public domain safety benchmark, including National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ratings, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Top Safety Pick and top ratings in world markets where the car will be sold.

The most prominent example is Fusion’s front-end architecture, as the same car must face simultaneous – and seemingly conflictive – standards across regions. The car’s front end is equipped to meet head-on and offset barrier standards for North America while still conforming to European standards for pedestrian protection – thanks to hours of computer modeling and 180 validating crash tests.

Fusion will be produced at Ford’s Hermosillo, Mexico, manufacturing facility, soon adding production at AutoAlliance International Plant in Flat Rock, Mich. The car will appear in Ford showrooms in North America and South America later this year. Mondeo will be introduced next year in Asia and Europe.

The car looks nice but . . .

Who wants a hybrid or an electric? Certainly not me.

Where is a diesel, manual transmission wagon? Europe?

Where is a V-6 manual coupe?

Does Ford feel need to make only eco-weenie, boring cars for political reasons? Can we not have variety, fun, power, torque?

- ranchero -

The car looks nice but . . .

Who wants a hybrid or an electric? Certainly not me.

Where is a diesel, manual transmission wagon? Europe?

Where is a V-6 manual coupe?

Does Ford feel need to make only eco-weenie, boring cars for political reasons? Can we not have variety, fun, power, torque?

- ranchero -

I agree that the car looks good. It is quite pretty, but I really do not like the idea that people who want a Ford Fusion with a V-6 cannot buy one. I think that it is political decision. It is ashamed!

I have 2010 Fusion Sport that I love. I have been a Ford customer for almost twenty years now, but I will most likely go to aother car company, unless I can buy a Lincoln MKZ with a 6, and I can afford it!. Even Hyundai's Sonata has 274 HP with the turbo 4! This only puts out 237 or so. A 300 HP V-6 would be perfect, but it appears that Ford does not care about this segment of the market.

I drove a Taurus SHO and loved it, but it is a little bigger than I like, so that is out.

I will wait a while to see if they bring out a Fusion Sport version with a V-6. If not, I will probably go to Acura, Infiniti or Volvo S60 for a 6 with around 300HP.

I hate doing this as I think Ford's products are very good right now, but I just cannot see myself driving a 4.

I hope that the Ford people read these comments.

Louis M

Bye bye V6 and hello to 1.6L and 2.0L EB motors....

Kinda looks like a Sonata from the rear and Volvo C70 from the front.

Time will tell how successful it is but it sure is different!

The front end reminds me of an Aston Martin DB9, right down to the hood bulge. Some one must have left some design papers behind when they left the building. Add AWD with the 2.0 Ecoboost and I'd consider one, the Fusion that is ;)

Aston_Martin-DB9_2009_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Ford-Fusion_2013_800x600_wallpaper_10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It is very easy to be down on Ford for the perceived deficiencies BUT...

I'll bet my lunch for the next week that there are very good reasons for the changes.

Your American government is ramming some VERY strict fuel economy standards down our throats (cause Canada always follows along) and I think moving to these engine choices is the only current way to meet them. Don't rag at Ford, talk to your congressman.

It would not surprise me if as each mid-sized popular priced sedan goes through its next re-design every one drops the V6. Ford was just one of the first.

For Louis M. I'll also bet you said that once about downsizing from V8s to V6s.

Now look at the number of V6 trucks Ford is selling.

With the major addiction to petroleum that everyone in North America has, something HAS to give somewhere!

I have an 09 Fusion V6 now and it still has a lot of good years in it. I've looked at its competition fom time to time and i have never seen anything out there that would be good enough to make me want to change brands.

I'll probably be ready in about 2014 and a Titanium would look good in my driveway.

What about a 300-ish HP.....Lincoln MKZ?

Yes I would go for a 300hp MKZ. I am hoping that one will be available. I spoke to my sales rep yesterday and told him that I am very disappointed that Ford will not offer a real Sport Fusion with a V-6. I told him that I'd wait a bit to see what the MKZ offers. I would love to have the MKZ and hope that the pricing will be in my range.

I find it difficult to understand why Ford does not seem to care about folks who want the V-6 and are willing to pay a little more for it. Why not give the public a car that they can afford and that satisfies their needs as well?

I have owned Fords for almost 20 years now and love the products. i currently have a 2010 Fusion Sport that I love. The lease ends in April 2012, so I either buy it (depending upon payments) or go to another car company if the MKZ doesn't have V-6. I told my sales rep that I can get a 2012 Hyundai Azera with a 292 hp V-6 for about 36M fully loaded. The weight is a couple hundred pounds more than my Sport at 263hp, body dimensions nearly the same.

I hope other Sport owners feel as I do and communicate this to Ford Motors.

Yes I would go for a 300hp MKZ. I am hoping that one will be available. I spoke to my sales rep yesterday and told him that I am very disappointed that Ford will not offer a real Sport Fusion with a V-6. I told him that I'd wait a bit to see what the MKZ offers. I would love to have the MKZ and hope that the pricing will be in my range.

I find it difficult to understand why Ford does not seem to care about folks who want the V-6 and are willing to pay a little more for it. Why not give the public a car that they can afford and that satisfies their needs as well?

I have owned Fords for almost 20 years now and love the products. i currently have a 2010 Fusion Sport that I love. The lease ends in April 2012, so I either buy it (depending upon payments) or go to another car company if the MKZ doesn't have V-6. I told my sales rep that I can get a 2012 Hyundai Azera with a 292 hp V-6 for about 36M fully loaded. The weight is a couple hundred pounds more than my Sport at 263hp, body dimensions nearly the same.

Test drive the 2.0L EcoBoost before forming your opinion, this powertrain just might surprise you. The 2.0L EB will have more torque then your current V6, and available torque from very low down in the rpm range. You won't have to be in the 4000+ rpm range to get that nice pull.

Check it out before dissing it.

I find it difficult to understand why Ford does not seem to care about folks who want the V-6 and are willing to pay a little more for it. Why not give the public a car that they can afford and that satisfies their needs as well?...

just imho

but

I believe Fomoco is having such a hard time figuring out how to make Lincoln SEEM different from the Ford Brand

that they're afraid of putting a 6 in the Fusion...

Maybe if they get their "LincolnAct" together before petrol-power is outlawed??

otoh

if Fomoco is really working on a 300hp 2.3-2.5 4cyl EB in addition to a Lincoln-exclusive(nearly) Nano v6,

HOW would YOU feel about that??

ps/plug

HERE's a LINK to Louis M's other thread/peitition in the FMZ(CD3/4) section

I believe Fomoco is having such a hard time figuring out how to make Lincoln SEEM different from the Ford Brand

that they're afraid of putting a 6 in the Fusion...

Different interiors, exteriors, suspensions, roofs, luxury features, wheels, materials, drivetrains - seems totally different to me.

They're not putting a 6 in the Fusion because the 2.0EB provides the same power with better fuel efficiency.

Different interiors, exteriors, suspensions, roofs, luxury features, wheels, materials, drivetrains - seems totally different to me...

you may think it's enough

&

I may think it's enough

but

a good number of posters here & elsewhere don't

&

I was saying Fomoco isn't sure either ... imho

you may think it's enough

&

I may think it's enough

but

a good number of posters here & elsewhere don't

&

I was saying Fomoco isn't sure either ... imho

Fomoco is sure now. They probably weren't 2 years ago. It doesn't matter if a good number of posters here and elsewhere don't get it. Only a small fraction of the car buying public buys luxury vehicles and most of the ones complaining here aren't even in the luxury market.

Why do you care how many cylinders it has? It's the horsepower and torque that matter. Today's fours are about as smooth as the sixes and you don't have to take them apart to get at the rear spark plugs.

I for one am really excited about the 2013 Fusion. I've gone from an Escort GT to an SVT Contour to a Mazda6, and in the Fusion I see a perfectly logical next vehicle. The Mondeo is back!

Since whatever I get will have a stickshift, I'm a little dismayed to see it's only available with the 1.6L engine, but for now smaller displacement seems to be the way of the future, and that powerplant certainly offers more than the 1.8-L 4 in the Escort did. I'll reserve judgement until I test-drive EcoBoost. Maybe, by the time the '6 wears out, Ford will expand MTX availability upmarket, as they apparently just decided to do on the Focus: http://www.autotalk.com/customer-demand-builds-a-new-focus-variant-13587/ . Main thing is, once the ordering guide comes out, the first thing I'll be looking at is whether you can get leather (hopefully Sport) seats with the stickshift.

• 2 weeks later...

I for one am really excited about the 2013 Fusion. I've gone from an Escort GT to an SVT Contour to a Mazda6, and in the Fusion I see a perfectly logical next vehicle. The Mondeo is back!

Since whatever I get will have a stickshift, I'm a little dismayed to see it's only available with the 1.6L engine, but for now smaller displacement seems to be the way of the future, and that powerplant certainly offers more than the 1.8-L 4 in the Escort did. I'll reserve judgement until I test-drive EcoBoost. Maybe, by the time the '6 wears out, Ford will expand MTX availability upmarket, as they apparently just decided to do on the Focus: http://www.autotalk.com/customer-demand-builds-a-new-focus-variant-13587/ . Main thing is, once the ordering guide comes out, the first thing I'll be looking at is whether you can get leather (hopefully Sport) seats with the stickshift.

I'm very excited about the 2.0 Ecoboost, should be a nice upgrade over 3.0 V6. What are the chances Ford will offer AWD on the SE. On the current Fusion it is only available on SEL or Sport. Hopefully this will not be limited to the titanium trim.

I was so excited when I saw how beautiful this car was. I am in the market for a new sedan next year, and this car looks great. But Fusion is falling farther & farther behind in terms of performance. No one expects a Fusion to keep up with a Camaro SS, but is no one at Ford embarrassed that the current Fusion "Sport" with its exclusive engine is notably slower than the top Toyota Camry, Hyundai Sonata, and Kia Optima? And now the 2013 Fusion has 11 hp less than the current one? I'm not trying to diss the car, I want to love it. But lowering horsepower and raising the price is not the way to sell cars to people who aren't stuck on any one brand.

Please, can anyone tell me of any plans for a better engine for this car, in a model that won't cost $35,000??

...Please, can anyone tell me of any plans for a better engine for this car, in a model that won't cost $35,000??

nothing official

but if the rumored 2.3EB 4cyl happens, it should easily make 300hp if they want it to...

...can't be only for the Mustang and Focus RS

But lowering horsepower and raising the price fuel economy is not the way to sell cars to people who aren't stuck on any one brand.

FTFY

There will be a sportier version - just not right away. Don't forget they're introducing essentially 4 new powertrains with the 2013 already. They only have so many resources.

FTFY

There will be a sportier version - just not right away. Don't forget they're introducing essentially 4 new powertrains with the 2013 already. They only have so many resources.

Isn't the 2.0 liter the only new power-plant? The 1.6 and 2.5 are not new; the 1.6 having been in Europe. The hybrid transmission is all new. I see the 2013 Fusion will be all LED inside and out.

Edited by lolder

Isn't the 2.0 liter the only new power-plant? The 1.6 and 2.5 are not new; the 1.6 having been in Europe. The hybrid transmission is all new. I see the 2013 Fusion will be all LED inside and out.

The 1.6 EB is new to the U.S. and relatively new to Europe. The 2.0 EB is already available here in the Edge and Explorer but it's still new to the Fusion and it's only been out for a few months here. The hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrains are new 3rd gen. Only the 2.5L is a carryover.

The point is it takes a lot of work for those new powertrains and I'm sure there just wasn't enough time or resources to do a larger engine at launch. Besides - the performance versions usually follow at least one model year behind the new vehicle (Focus ST, Fiesta ST, etc.)

The 1.6 EB is new to the U.S. and relatively new to Europe. The 2.0 EB is already available here in the Edge and Explorer but it's still new to the Fusion and it's only been out for a few months here. The hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrains are new 3rd gen. Only the 2.5L is a carryover.

The point is it takes a lot of work for those new powertrains and I'm sure there just wasn't enough time or resources to do a larger engine at launch. Besides - the performance versions usually follow at least one model year behind the new vehicle (Focus ST, Fiesta ST, etc.)

Do you think there is much difference in the block between the Atkinson and Otto 2.0 liters?

Do you think there is much difference in the block between the Atkinson and Otto 2.0 liters?

No, but that's not the point. Any time you put a new engine in a new vehicle it takes a lot of testing and tuning. It's just a resource issue. And the hybrid and non hybrid drivetrains and software are drastically different.

I pretty much agree. The new 2013 FFH is a completely different car and will have no legacy from the well done 2010-12 FFH. We can hope that the engineering continues to be good. The transmission will be Ford's first attempt at a domestically assembled hybrid eCVT. Let's hope the association with the AISIN transmission construction was informative. My 2010 FFH will be coming up on it's drive-train warranty expiration in two years so the 2013 will have over a year of operation by that time.