2013 Ford Fusion Debuts

Except it's not. It's down about 30 HP from most of it's competitors top engine offerings.

Despite that it will still post acceleration times that are comparable to its competition. As I mentioned already if the 2.0L Ecoboost can scoot the Edge to sixty in the 7 second range it will have no issue scooting the lighter and smaller Fusion to sixty in the 6 second range. You are so caught up in hp numbers that you ignore this fact.

On what planet does coincidence constitute proof?

You know that Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln, and that Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy, right? And that there are the same number of letters in "Lee Harvey Oswald" and "John Wilkes Booth"?

If the engine isn't ready then it won't appear on the MKZ. If it's ready it will.

The current Fusion took a long time to get the D35 even though it was available in the MKZ for several years before. The only reason the Fusion didn't get it was to give the Lincoln an "exclusive" engine. Finally in 2010 somebody got smart and started giving the Ford versions a Sport model (Fusion and Edge) that included that better power train. Now we are back to where we were before.

That's fine and I understand what they are trying to do, but I can promise you the ST version if it comes is being held back for that reason. If the engine is ready for the Lincoln, but not put in the Ford that's the reason.

I don't like that fact, but that is how Ford has decided to do it. Trying to come up an excuse that Ford is not offering a better power train option because it is actually a benefit to the Ford brand consumer doesn't make any sense. Sorry. None.

Can you please drive the 2.0EB before you flip out over the lack of the D35?! Horsepower isn't the whole story. I should know, I'm an Apple fanboy ;)

Regardless what Apple used to say about the whole "Megahertz myth" they did end up switching to Intel CISC processors didn't they? LOL :) I own plenty of Apple products including a new iMac, but I can tell you that whole line they used to feed about PowerPC being way faster then an Intel processor was a bunch of marketing propaganda.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Trying to come up an excuse

Good grief. You quoted my post and you didn't read any of it.

Your inferences are that. Inferences. They are formed based on something like an hour and a half's worth of exposure to pre-production press materials.

And somehow, this information, coupled with your lack of experience in the auto industry is sufficient for you to assert that the "MAIN" reason (emphasis YOURS, word choice YOURS) Ford didn't announce an ST edition is to protect Lincoln.

I'm simply telling you that you haven't any rational argument to support such a wild statement.

It's not really open for debate. No reasonable person, on examining the facts in front of them, would reach a conclusion as far fetched as yours--let alone assert it as a self-evident.

• Like 1

And somehow, this information, coupled with your lack of experience in the auto industry is sufficient for you to assert that the "MAIN" reason (emphasis YOURS, word choice YOURS) Ford didn't announce an ST edition is to protect Lincoln.

I have enough experience in the auto industry to know that a person who cruises around in a 2000 Sable has no idea what is and isn't a good vehicle. I have often wondered why you aren't the CEO of Ford right now since you seem to be an auto industry expert.

Ok so I will take back the "MAIN" and will just say it is one reason. There happy?

• Like 2

Just posted my full gallery of the 2013 Fusion from prototype to reveal.

http://www.mikekukielka.com/gallery/v/2013+Ford+Fusion/

I'm not a likely Fusion customer, but I'm not hung-up on the lack of a 3.5L V6 unless driving the 2.0L EB is unsatisfactory.

I like the Fusion Fascia and the Escape Fascia, both work and look just as progressive. The Escape fascia works great on that vehicle, and Ford has said that this is the fascia for their Midsize and smaller vehicles...so don't expect this to directly translate on the next Edge, Explorer, F-150, etc...

Thanks for the pictures BORG.

No. It's a 'possibility'.

Two things:

1 - There's a big difference between what you think and what you can prove.

2 - Bringing up the car I drive? In what way is that even remotely relevant? How is that anything other than a petty insult?

Well let's wait and see what sort of engines are available on the MKZ and then it will be clearer.

As far as bringing up the car you drive... Well if it wasn't for those of us who actively go out and purchase or lease new Ford products every few years Ford would be broke. Correct? So I think even though I am not an industry expert my opinion as an active Ford customer does count for something.

I admit I was out of line for saying that and I'm sorry. It's not like my Escape is the best thing on the road, but really you should consider a new Ford vehicle. I owned a 2000 Sable years back with the D30 and it really was a decent car, but even the Escape I drive today is so far above it in technology, dynamics, performance, materials, etc. it's no comparison. I think you would look good in a 2013 Fusion! ;) ;)

The pass-through console.

2013+Ford+Fusion+078.JPG

2013+Ford+Fusion+085.JPG

That interior looks great... So much better then the Euro designed ones. Good job!

Edited by 2005Explorer

These appear to be all LED with a wrap-around ribbon that also illuminates on the trunk. I wonder if this is an option? Perhaps the standard Fusion will have different lamps.

2013+Ford+Fusion+039.JPG

I find it interesting that the 1.6 in the Escape is available with AWD, but you must get the 2.0 in the Fusion to get it. I assume the AWD must have a lot lower take rate on the Fusion so they probably decided it wasn't worth it. Do you have to get Titanium trim for AWD or is it available on SE or SEL models?

Edited by 2005Explorer

Well let's wait and see what sort of engines are available on the MKZ and then it will be clearer.

I admit I was out of line for saying that and I'm sorry. It's not like my Escape is the best thing on the road, but really you should consider a new Ford vehicle

I expect about a year to year-and-a-half delay on the Fusion ST, if the Fiesta ST & Focus ST are any indicators. And I also expect that the delay is flexible, to take into account potential launch issues with the bread & butter and hybrid stuff.

In fairness, I think that protecting the Lincoln brand is *a* consideration, but not necessarily the primary one.

Consider: What if it came down to going with the 1.6L EB at Job 1 (~31MPG combined) or the ST? I would imagine that the benefit of providing powertrain exclusivity to Lincoln would be handily trumped by offering a vehicle with combined mileage that is within 10% of the highway mileage of many vehicles in the segment.

--

And at any rate, I got a bit too personal also, and want to apologize for that.

Edited by RichardJensen

I will continue to pepper this off-track forum with beauty shots of the Fusion.

I really like this view of the car.

2013+Ford+Fusion+098.JPG

Holy sheet metal the rims give it a very nice premium feel. It's amazing what a good set of stock rims can do for

your car visually. Is that the hybrid version? I hope customers are able to equip their Fusions with these rims or at least buy them directly from OEM.

I was hoping Ford would launch a more powerful engine as well(specifically the TiVCT 35), but with 250lf-ft on tap at a very low RPM and standard AWD, this should get off the line better than your Sonata Turbo and SX Optima Turbos. However, being down about 30hp may leave some wanting when they try and pass at 60-80mph, mid-range.

• Like 1

Has anyone figured out what the deal is with the front windows? Why the retro, extra framed triangular piece, a la 1970's or prior vent windows? Also notice no paddle shifters, even though the newest Taurus and MKS have switched the paddle shifters to industry standard +/- setup. I noticed also that there is a nice dark brown leather interior available. As for the debate about lack of V6 or 3.5 available, how many Fusion Sports with 3.5 were sold? Not many in my opinion!

Edited by hbalek

Ford, where the hell are photos of the gauge cluster?

2013-Ford-Fusion-instrument-gauges.jpg

Great looking car, just a shame the dash / IP is cut and paste from the Explorer. IMO looks odd to have a the truck dash

integrated into a car, especially such a sporty looking car. IMO this does not match up. But I am sure this is a good thing for

American taste buds.