2013 Ford Fusion Debuts

So, let me see if I understand this right.

Some of you are not happy that Ford is basically launching FOUR new powertrains with this vehicle, and wish they were launching FIVE?

Yes that is exactly what I and others are saying. There is no performance option. The gasoline EB engines slot somewhere right below and right above the current D30. Torque curve or not there is no replacement for the D35. I don't feel the EB 2.0 is a D35 replacement. It is a D30 replacement. They should have an engine option in the higher 200's or closer to 300 HP like the competition does.

• Like 1

Oh I don't doubt that the Fusion is being held back to make the MKZ look better, but that is not always a good idea when your mainstream competition is offering more powerful engines.

And, again, OMG.

Adaptive cruise, BLIS, 100MPGe, 45MPG combined hybrid, 33MPG combined EB, and Ford is 'holding back' because they didn't announce the ST?

(And before you 'maybe there won't be an ST' me, consider: There's an ST Fiesta, ST Focus and SHO Taurus. There's going to be a ST Fusion)

Good grief. Ford is handing bread and butter customers probably the best midsize sedan on the market, and you guys think Ford is holding back the go-fast model to make Lincoln look good? Really?

• Like 3

Oh I don't doubt that the Fusion is being held back to make the MKZ look better, but that is not always a good idea when your mainstream competition is offering more powerful engines.

You act as if the Fusion 2.0L Ecoboost is going to be slow...if that motor can haul the much larger and heavier Edge to 60 in the 7 second range then I have no doubt it will be able to haul the much smaller and lighter Fusion to 60 in the 6 second range which is par for the class.

• Like 1

I think what I love about the 2013 Fusion boils down to these points:

1. Styling is aggressive but not angry ( too many cars are angry now a days )

2. Styling is classy but not traditional

3. The interior is styled in the North American way

4. Hybrid and Engergi

5. The colors shown thus far, especially the blue and red look amazing.

BTW check out that link I posted above. It has great interview videos with Alan, Daryl, Jim and others.

Yes that is exactly what I and others are saying. There is no performance option.

Who the meaningless intensifier gives a meaningless intensifier what Ford does or does not announce some months ahead of production?

You want to bellyache because Ford isn't simultaneously announcing the ST model, you need to step outside and grab a big dose of perspective.

You seriously want to be *that guy*? You know, the guy who went to the first performance of Beethoven's 9th and, at the end of it, said, "C'mon! Beethoven's like six measures behind the orchestra!"

It's an excellent car. I am so impressed by the little details. Rear lights, front fascia I really like the IP, steering wheel is just great even the pedals have some good details.

I laughed out loud at the doors. It reminded me of the Chrysler Sebring. Before the flame-throwers come out, that's what I first thought. The irony is the doors were the saving grace of that car and frankly, there's so much you can do with a door.

I was hoping for more juice out of the D25. Around 200hp/200lb-ft with both 6 Manual and Automatic is a great bread and butter 'appliance' drivetrain. It looks like it's less hp but more torque and hopefully better FE. My Father has a 2010 Fusion SEL with D25 and it's a great plant.

As far as the other plants and performance figures are, I'll wait for the final figures. I'm pretty sure a Fusion ST is in the works, I hope.

Off topic: Build the Fiesta ST!

Eh. It was largely being outdone by the competition before, too. IMO, the BULK of the buyer population sees the MPG #'s and it does more for Ford to be able to say they've got better MPG than Honda, Toyota or Hyundai. That said, you're right that MPG is not the or even A primary factor in the purchase decision. That's the case for me and I would like to be able to buy real power in a Fusion, too without having to go to the MKZ.

Still, I can't wait to see what Ford's got for us in the MKZ.

Gotta say: This release, with all the safety tech, the fuel economy and the gorgeous design (I love the exterior and the interior is amazing) makes this my next car (unless some crazy promotion or raise comes along in the meantime). I had given strong consideration to the Escape and I'll still look at it...but I've always been a car buyer rather than an SUV/CUV or truck buyer. I can't wait.

You act as if the Fusion 2.0L Ecoboost is going to be slow...if that motor can haul the much larger and heavier Edge to 60 in the 7 second range then I have no doubt it will be able to haul the much smaller and lighter Fusion to 60 in the 6 second range which is par for the class.

I never said it is going to be slow I am just saying that competitors top it in power and in this very important and popular class they should offer a performance option. Maybe an ST will come in a year or two... maybe not. Time will tell.

It is being held back as to not steal the MKZs thunder. Richard you can argue all you want, but that is the MAIN reason there isn't a performance version available at this time. I can promise you the MKZ will have one available at launch with a more powerful engine option so saying "Well it's not ready" isn't an excuse.

It's fine to let Lincoln have an exclusive engine as long as your mainstream car can compete with other mainstream cars. If you make your customers step up to the luxury brand just to get the same thing they can from mainstream competitors that is an issue in my book.

Other then that I don't have an issue with this car. The mirrors are a little homely, but I assume that is for aerodynamics. It looks fast and sporty and it would be a great car for a more powerful engine.

More comments: I like how the lower part of the grille is turned upwards, giving the face a more 'friendly' disposition, which I think is good.

My brain is working on overdrive about how this styling direction can/will be let loose upon the rest of the lineup. I kinda wish the new Escape had launched with a more 2013 Fusion face than a 2012 Escape face...not because I find the new Escape unattractive, but because the Escape is one of Ford's big guns and I'd like it to look as modern as the Fusion.

I think Ford will need Flat Rock capacity...NO question. :)

Just posted my full gallery of the 2013 Fusion from prototype to reveal.

http://www.mikekukielka.com/gallery/v/2013+Ford+Fusion/

I'm not a likely Fusion customer, but I'm not hung-up on the lack of a 3.5L V6 unless driving the 2.0L EB is unsatisfactory.

I like the Fusion Fascia and the Escape Fascia, both work and look just as progressive. The Escape fascia works great on that vehicle, and Ford has said that this is the fascia for their Midsize and smaller vehicles...so don't expect this to directly translate on the next Edge, Explorer, F-150, etc...

It is being held back as to not steal the MKZs thunder.

Like Richard said, please provide proof of that statement. As it is the 2.0L Ecoboost will be a motor that is in the same league as competitor top engines and that is ultimately what matters. Do I hope that they bring out an ST model later on, most certainly however their priority right now ought to be on the mainstream models and that is exactly what they are doing.

Prove it.

If the MKZ shows up with a much more powerful engine I will have "proven" it. Now of course the Lincoln should come standard with the more powerful engine, however that same sort of power should be a higher level option on the Fusion.

If a more powerful engine is available at launch for the MKZ, but takes a couple of years to filter to the Fusion then yes the Fusion was being held back to make the MKZ look better. Period. There isn't another reason.

In fact the Fusion looks so good and has so many features they better come up with a lot of good reasons to drop thousands more for the MKZ.

As it is the 2.0L Ecoboost will be a motor that is in the same league as competitor top engines and that is ultimately what matters.

Except it's not. It's down about 30 HP from most of it's competitors top engine offerings.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

If the MKZ shows up with a much more powerful engine I will have "proven" it.

On what planet does coincidence constitute proof?

You know that Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln, and that Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy, right? And that there are the same number of letters in "Lee Harvey Oswald" and "John Wilkes Booth"?

• Like 2