2013 Ford Fusion Debuts

I think I'm in love <3

In my opinion, this is the most stunning sedan to wear a blue oval since I've been alive.

Count me as one a little disappointed by the lack of 3.5/3.7. Not as a mechanic, mind you, as a consumer. I just prefer the smoothness of a v6. I admit, my mileage is awful. I drive it around town 90% of the time and have only accumulated 10k miles in 19 months. I like that I don't have to rev i past 3k in around town driving. Now, the EB 4's might be able to. I don't have any seat time with them. Even if I did, it might be different in the much lighter Fusion.

• Like 1

It's possible that the EB 2.0L will outperform the 3.5L Fusion Sport in 0-60 and possibly even the quarter mile.

I expect that it will handily outperform the outgoing model in every other performance metric.

I think so too. The new Fusion Titanium will probably handle much better due to lower weight and more modern chassis.

The horsepower envy contingent here is missing the point. Hyundai Sonata turbo with 274 hp doesn't perform like a sports sedan. It's not that great of a car to drive. And it is definitely NOT fast. Camry V6 is fast but doesn't handle at all.

Count me as one a little disappointed by the lack of 3.5/3.7. Not as a mechanic, mind you, as a consumer. I just prefer the smoothness of a v6. I admit, my mileage is awful. I drive it around town 90% of the time and have only accumulated 10k miles in 19 months. I like that I don't have to rev i past 3k in around town driving. Now, the EB 4's might be able to. I don't have any seat time with them. Even if I did, it might be different in the much lighter Fusion.

Eh, most of the 2.0 EB reviews out so far that I've seen have lauded it for the smoothness of its power delivery, so I don't think the lack of a V6 (especially the sometimes not-so-smooth 3.0) will be a killer in that regard.

Eh, most of the 2.0 EB reviews out so far that I've seen have lauded it for the smoothness of its power delivery, so I don't think the lack of a V6 (especially the sometimes not-so-smooth 3.0) will be a killer in that regard.

Not sure what you are alluding to. My 3.0 is smooth as silk. Hope the 2.0L EB is as well.

• Like 2

Look. If ~6.4 seconds 0-60* ain't doing it for you (2.0LEB, based on 7.5 sec. 0-60 on 4,000lb Edge), you don't just need a vehicle with a more powerful engine. You need a vehicle that has been tuned for performance.

Ford has, ever since SVO, avoided the 'insert bigger engine, add stiffer shocks' recipe for performance models. Every performance model since the SVO has been tuned thoroughly for performance.

You want "bigger engine, same crappy everything else" go buy a Neon SRT4.

*Math: Assume identical tune, identical transmission, therefore only meaningful difference 0-60 is vehicle mass; Fusion roughly 17% lighter than Edge--700lbs. Multiply Edge 0-60 time by .83 for 6.225. Add 10% of the decrease (.1275 seconds) to the estimated 0-60 time to account for 'whatever', and get 6.3525 seconds 0-60, or ~6.4

No need for rash responses.

No fusion will be on my radar but a "big engine, crappy everything" SHO is, my point is why do you have to buy a performance model for a bit more performance no need to throw names to make someone agree. If the EB.2.0 can pull up to 270-80. HP competitors then that's great, I hope its true, then there's no need for a 260 HP boosted 4 or v6 to hit that when in reality the 2.0 is making that much power.

Edited by Fgts
  • Like 1

I think this HP war got a little out of hand. Every car can now go 0-60 in less than 6.5 seconds and even the Camry can do it in the 5 sec range. There is no reason to get a Mustang if in 2 years a Fiesta will be able to blow your doors off. At this rate, in 5 years, a Lamborghini will loose a race to a Nissan Altima!

It reminds me of the movie, "The Incredibles" when Syndrome wanted to give the whole world superpowers because as he said, "If everybody is super, then no one is."

Kudos to Ford if they find a new way to distinguish themselves in the car market.

With 99% of Fusion buyers wanting fuel mileage,comfort, and features foremost, I don't know that Ford has to be chasing the 5,000 Ford buyers that want a 25mpg rocket sled Fusion. They can easily go buy a Hemi Charger and be happy as long as there is not a lot of snow on ground and don't mind heading to gas station much more often. The Fusion is a high volume mid sized dailly driver that happens to be a good handler as well. I doubt even if Ford is in a huge hurry to get out the Focus and Fiesta ST for that matter since the sales will probably be like the Focus SVT was. Bragging rights and little else. I personally would rather see a hatch or wagon Fusion before an ST model. But that's just me and not worth a cup of coffee.

In your face

400218_260092907389452_112397758825635_654987_399159115_n.jpg

This face is going to look real good in the rear-view mirror. Damn fine job Ford did on this car.

It would be nice to see an optional honeycombe grille insert, for those wanting that "road-eater" effect.

Edited by MKII
  • Like 1

What's with the ass responses?,

No fusion will be on my radar but a "big engine, crappy everything" SHO is, my point is why do you have to buy a performance model for a bit more performance no need to throw names to make someone agree. If the EB.2.0 can pull up to 270-80. HP competitors then that's great, I hope its true, then there's no need for a 260 HP boosted 4 or v6 to hit that when in reality the 2.0 is making that much power.

If my manner of presenting information offends, I'm sorry.

However, I have trouble with statements like "have to buy a performance model for a bit more performance":

No matter how much performance is available (in this case, I'd expect sub 6.5 second 0-60, possibly close to 6.0, factoring in better tires and suspension, etc.), you can always say, "I want more", and then insist that the additional performance should not be in the form of a performance model.

Do you see what I'm saying?

You are saying that you *want* something, but trying to phrase it as though it's a logically defensible assertion. If you want it to be defensible, you can't just say you want "more".

--

Furthermore, the Taurus SHO isn't just an EB 3.5 dropped in a Taurus anymore than the original SHO was just a Yamaha V6 dropped in a conventional Taurus. It showed up about a year-year and a half after production and featured upgrades to almost every bit of the car that connects it to the road.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Not sure what you are alluding to. My 3.0 is smooth as silk. Hope the 2.0L EB is as well.

I never had complaints about the 3.0 in my Mazda6 either, but the press always took it to task for being thrashy. :shrug: Comparatively speaking though, the 3.7 in my Edge is worlds more refined.

I really think and hope that Ford understands the mid sized car market and its Fusion customers, and along with more stringent CAFE laws coming before next Fusion redesign, is acting accordingly. I was pleasantly surprised by the Fusion Energi and new fuel mileage figures on hybrid. I figure that if I'm finally to replace my Taurus, it should be for something very special and class leading. The new Fusion Hybrid with fold down rear seats really catches my eye along with that eye opening fuel mileage figures. It's like who cares about fuel prices anymore with that in your garage. Kudos to Ford. They understand the market, where fuel prices are going, and most of all new CAFE figures and what they mean.

Was there this much complaining about the first-announced top engine when the original Fusion debuted with a ten-year-old D30 making less HP and MUCH less torque than the one-year-old 2.0EB does now? :unsure:

(I'm not editing that run-on sentence either)

People would complain if it made 500 HP....so whats your point? :)

At that time we where happy to have an update mid-sizer sedan LOL

• Like 1

Was there this much complaining about the first-announced top engine when the original Fusion debuted with a ten-year-old D30 making less HP and MUCH less torque than the one-year-old 2.0EB does now? :unsure:

(I'm not editing that run-on sentence either)

Mmm. I don't think that's a run on sentence, just a lot of dependent clauses used as modifiers....

Hey, here's a thought. Let's take over another thread with an abstruse discussion of structural linguistics that nobody else understands (and which you understand better than I do).

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

Mmm. I don't think that's a run on sentence, just a lot of dependent clauses used as modifiers....

Hey, here's a thought. Let's take over another thread with an abstruse discussion of structural linguistics that nobody else understands (and which you understand better than I do).

I'm always concerned when I write long sentences with no commas. :lol:

And I'd save the linguistics for later. This thread's still rolling along nicely. :shades: