Ford Posts 123M Loss For 2nd Quarter

This should give you all some idea just how crappy analysts are.

Consensus was $.14/share profit, before special charges. Most analysts were also expecting the special charges to be gigantic.

Reality is Ford lost money before special charges (largely due to a decline in profitability at Ford Credit that shouldn't've surprised any analyst aware of what rapid Fed rate increases do to companies that securitize loan portfolios), and the special charges were not that significant, AND Ford's NA ops lost less money this quarter than a year ago.

Angry about what? I was expected them to lose MORE money. Keep in mind that Ford is no longer offering guidance to Wall Street, so their expectations for a profit this quarter really means nothing. Your guess or mine on profit/loss would be as accurate as anyone else's.

Not a great sign, but hopefully there will be some product announcements in the coming days. Ol' Billy hinted at something 60 days out. Whether that is producted-related or not remains to be seen.

Actually, this should shake your confidence in the ability of analysts to tell you what's going on at Ford.

Ford's 2Q results were NOWHERE NEAR what analysts expected.

Read this article quick before it disappears:

http://today.reuters.com/stocks/QuoteCompa...Page3&sz=13

Says most analysts were expecting about $.25/share worth of special charges (consensus of $.15/share profit before one-time items, and a $.10/share loss after including them)

These guys have no idea what's going on, and Ford's results are indicative of that.

Also interesting that Ford's revenue was higher than they expected, and that none of them had the ability to predict the substantially lower profit numbers at Ford Credit.

Why is this interesting? Because these people should KNOW that Ford Credit's operations are interest rate sensitive, and that even with hedges, Ford Credit's present borrowing costs are much closer to the interest income they're making from loan portfolios.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=news

Read that article too. It should be clear that the only bit of insight you can get from an analyst these days is, "Ford is losing money in North America".

Anyone who thinks these guys have any clue what's going on at Ford, now that Ford's stopped giving earnings guidance, should have his head examined. These analysts are flying blind.

Actually, this should shake your confidence in the ability of analysts to tell you what's going on at Ford.

Ford's 2Q results were NOWHERE NEAR what analysts expected.

Read this article quick before it disappears:

http://today.reuters.com/stocks/QuoteCompa...Page3&sz=13

Says most analysts were expecting about $.25/share worth of special charges (consensus of $.15/share profit before one-time items, and a $.10/share loss after including them)

These guys have no idea what's going on, and Ford's results are indicative of that.

Also interesting that Ford's revenue was higher than they expected, and that none of them had the ability to predict the substantially lower profit numbers at Ford Credit.

Why is this interesting? Because these people should KNOW that Ford Credit's operations are interest rate sensitive, and that even with hedges, Ford Credit's present borrowing costs are much closer to the interest income they're making from loan portfolios.

Revenue up to 52 million and no profit? Like I have been telling you the ability to build vehicles is damaged.

Although this will probably improve due to the cutbacks in management. It is like the old Jack Welch principle of always firing a percentage of your management each year. Those left will work much harder to retain their jobs. At this point they cannot sell at the same price point as Chrysler and make a profit.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article.../607200328/1014

Revenue up to 52 million and no profit? Like I have been telling you the ability to build vehicles is damaged.

Although this will probably improve due to the cutbacks in management. It is like the old Jack Welch principle of always firing a percentage of your management each year. Those left will work much harder to retain their jobs. At this point they cannot sell at the same price point as Chrysler and make a profit.

What does this have to do with Chrysler? Besides, last time I checked Chrysler was the one having a fire-sale to try and get rid of their ridiculous inventory. Don't fool yourself, Chrysler is hardly the company anyone would emulate in the auto world.

Up to $52 Million?

what are you smoking?

Revenue was $42 billion.

BTW, why don't you call up Jac Nasser and ask him how well firing a percentage of Ford management worked back in 1999-2000?

Oh, and one more thing, Chrysler can't sell at their current price point and make a profit either.

Do you ever stop and wonder why Chrysler is the ONLY company running a crazy-eddy closeout program?

At this point they cannot sell at the same price point as Chrysler and make a profit.

Fail to see how you can make that assumption with the information out of any of the articles linked above.

Yeah Chrysler is on a roll, every parking lot in the Metro Detroit area is full of their UNSOLD product.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

just another nail in the coffin for a company that put too many eggs in it's SUV basket during the last decade.

Ford mang. act like they were surprised that the price of gas went up. All the $$$ they are investing in europe on new tech. is great, but they should have done that 10 years ago.

Will the dinasor survive?

If Ford is soo green then why fight this new bill proposed by Barak Obama and a group of 8 bipartison senators as reported in today's Detroit free press?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...ESS01/607200331

Or for that matter the bill in Calif. to regulate co2?

How many mpg does the new Navigator get?

just another nail in the coffin for a company that put too many eggs in it's SUV basket during the last decade.

Ford mang. act like they were surprised that the price of gas went up. All the $$$ they are investing in europe on new tech. is great, but they should have done that 10 years ago.

If Ford is soo green then why fight this new bill proposed by Barak Obama and a group of 8 bipartison senators as reported in today's Detroit free press?

If you are all about conservation, why do you waste so much bandwith?

The amount of energy consumed by some yuppie driving her Navigator to starbucks for her double chi latte with soy milk, would power my computer for years.

"It is clear that the Achilles heel of the most powerful country on Earth is the oil we import and cannot live without," Obama said in a statement,

1. Is this Ford's fault, or the fault of the yuppie going to Starbucks?

2. Couldn't disagree more with Mr. Obama - What difference does it make if our trade deficit is made up of oil from Canada and Mexico, or Cars from Japan and Korea. Any time we rely on a region of the world for ANY key item, we will suffer. Don't cut oil imports from the Middle East by increasing auto imports from Asia!

Edited by Kev-Mo

This legislation is a waste of time.

Seems to me that $3-a-gallon gasoline is bringing about real-world improvements in fuel economy as people move away from SUVs to more economical crossovers - or even back to cars.

Sales of mid-size SUVs have cratered (and not just for Ford and GM, either), while GM is already increasing incentives on its all-new, heavily hyped full-size SUVs.

People voluntarily switching to more efficient vehicles will bring about real savings in gasoline use. At the same time, people who still want the big 'uns can still buy them.

Edited by grbeck

Let me know who this person is. I'll follow her in my Explorer and get one for myself.

Why would anybody waste $3-$4 on a coffee anyway? Starbucks and these other trendy coffee chains are for ASSHOLES!

I'm perfectly fine going into a restaurant and eating a meal and having a bottomless cup of coffee anytime. As well as making my own when I feel like it.