cylinder deactivation

MDS in a Hemi turns a poweful v8 into a fuel-sipping four cylinder.... one that gets 18 MPG highway.... actually I think they got it up to 20 MPG for 07 but no one will ever see that unless they drive downhill for a full tank.

I think it's something Ford should definitely be looking into, given that every little bit counts. However, I'm curious to see how much real world benefit there is on big trucks or even vehicles like the Honda Odyssey that have it. Seems to me there's very little time when you really end up cruising without some minor deceleration/acceleration, so I would think it wouldn't be able to stay in cylinder shutdown mode long enough to make much of a difference.

I was already getting 20-22 mpg constant cruise on the highway (around 60 mph) with my 03 Hemi Ram. I don't know how it effects idling, but I don't really think there's a lot of benefit to the MDS from what I've read. Honestly, I think for the power it makes, it gets respectable gas mileage on the highway. Its just the stop and go that will take its toll with a heavier foot.

MDS in a Hemi turns a poweful v8 into a fuel-sipping four cylinder.... one that gets 18 MPG highway.... actually I think they got it up to 20 MPG for 07 but no one will ever see that unless they drive downhill for a full tank.

The 300, Magnum and Charger get 17 city / 25 highway (2006 EPA estimated miles per gallon).

The Ram gets 15 / 19 in 2WD and 14 / 18 with 4WD. (again, this is 2006 EPA numbers) Dodge did not change the EPA estimates for the Ram when they switched over to the MDS equipped 5.7L (though they "claim" up to a 20% increase in fuel savings).

Some people get better, some worse...it all depends on how you drive it.

Edited by Intrepidatious