T6 SUV Name Accidentally Revealed on Ford Australia Test Page

Ford_Everest_large.jpg?OpenElement

Ranger-based SUV wagon named as Everest in Ford Australia test web page

29 December 2011 - LINK

By RON HAMMERTON

FORD Australia has provided the best hint yet that it will opt for the international nameplate Everest for its locally developed, Thai-built, Ranger-based SUV that is likely to break cover in 2012.

The name and possible model line-up was revealed in what might have been an accidental glimpse of web development for its future model on Ford's Australian consumer website.

Spotted by GoAuto, the cached snippet shows an all-diesel range with 4x4 and 4x2 variants and two specification levels, LTD and XLT, under the Everest banner.

The LTD was listed as a 4x4 automatic, while the XLT was shown as manual with 4x2 and 4x4 choices.

The diesel engine to be used on all models was shown as 3.0 TDCI – presumably the same 115kW/380Nm four-cylinder diesel that powers the all-new Ranger that hit Australian showrooms in September.

No pictures, performance figures or features were shown.

Ford Australia today cautioned that the name might have simply been used randomly by web developers building a new section of web site, and that not too much should be read into it.

Ford Australia has never officially confirmed the existence of the five-door SUV, to be built on the same T6 platform as the Ranger ute that was also developed for global markets by Victorian-based Ford Australia engineers and designers in league with counterparts from Mazda who used the platform for their own new-generation ute, the BT-50.

But as GoAuto exclusively reported in July 2010, the SUV program followed the Ranger into development at the Broadmeadows design and engineering centre, with American Ford engineer Todd Hoevener transferring to Australia to head up the project after signing off on the latest Ford Explorer.

The SUV is expected to be manufactured in Thailand, and possibly known alternatively as the Endeavour, as the current model is known in India, and Everest, as it is known in other countries, including Brazil.

The first two generations of Everest/Endeavour were built on Mazda B Series and BT-50 platforms, but never sold on in Australia.

A direct competitor for other rugged ladder-chassis SUV wagons such as the Nissan Pathfinder, Mitsubishi Challenger, Toyota Fortuner and Isuzu MU-7, the Everest is likely to become more widely available under the Blue Oval's One Ford global model policy, which is about to spawn another new model, the Indian-built, Fiesta-based EcoSport mini SUV to be revealed at the New Delhi motor show next week.

While the EcoSport has been all-but confirmed for Australia, where it will slot into the range below the European-built, Focus-based Kuga compact SUV that goes on sale in March 2012, a Ford Australia spokesperson reportedly said in 2010 that the company had no plans to sell Everest in local showrooms.

The evidence on the Ford web site would appear to suggest otherwise, and Ford's hand might have been forced by rivals who are lining up to dive into the tough wagon market.

In particular, Holden has confirmed it will import the all-new Colorado 7 – a Brazilian-developed seven-seat SUV spun off the Colorado ute architecture.

Also known as the Chevrolet Trailblazer, the Colorado 7 was revealed in concept form at the recent Dubai motor show.

Armed with a 132kW/470Nm 2.8-litre Duramax diesel engine in its show guise, the Colorado 7/Trailblazer is set to go into production in the second half of 2012 on the same Thai assembly line as the upcoming Colorado ute that is due to arrive in Australia late in the second quarter of 2012.

The next-gen Isuzu MU-7 – to be built on a platform shared with the new Colorado but with different powertrains – is also a contender for Australia.

A certainty is Nissan's all-new Pathfinder that will be revealed at the 2012 Detroit motor in January, although ironically that vehicle is set to dispense with the truck-style body-on-frame Navara chassis and move to a lighter car-like platform.

Newcomer to the ute scene, Volkswagen, is also said to be considering an SUV spin-off of its Argentine-made Amarok.

Edited by jpd80

U375, built off of P385 (T6, Global Ranger)

No plans for a US version.

While that's true, there's been plenty of US expertise and oversight involved in the T6 Project, ensuring that things are up to

scratch in terms of company protocols and testing so that in the event of the vehicle is suddenly needed, only minimal changes

should be needed for Federalization.

While no plans exist for T6 ranger or its SUV to come to America, that doesn't mean the decision isn't subjected to review

as circumstances and competitor vehicle changes may force a change in Ford's position. It's always good to have a solution

in your back pocket, even though Ford may not decide to exercise it...

T6 Truck and SUV imported later on, may be just the ticket for quelling the voices of "jeep converts" by providing modern BOFs.

A long shot because the business case plays to a niche segment, numbers will be smaller than main stream products...

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting........:shades:

Edited by jpd80

Wow, is that what it will look like? Forget the escape and explorer, I want that!

Just an artists impression but I think you get a good idea, kinda takes you back to Explorer's roots...

Not strange seeing that Jim Baumbrick and Todd Hoevener were both involved at Key positions,

both men coming off previous Explorer developments....

I can't help thinking GM is up to something with Colorado and Trailblazer, do they know something?

Still it's nice to know that Ford has "shadow products" if needed...

Edited by jpd80

Wow, is that what it will look like? Forget the escape and explorer, I want that!

Exactly. It looks and probably would perform better than anything we can currently buy here. Which means we would never get it. History repeats itself. Only this time it is with trucks and SUVs instead of cars.

While no plans exist for T6 ranger or its SUV to come to America, that doesn't mean the decision isn't subjected to review ...

I have my "ear to the ground" and if I hear anything concrete, I will let you know.

Personally, I can't decide if I would buy a "global" Ranger or an Everest if they ever show up in the US ! :happy feet:

Edited by theoldwizard

Looks like a great little truck (even if it is a photshop merge of a T6 Ranger and Territory)... Considering its based off theT6 Ranger I expect a uber-capable machine. Something that should do well in the developing world. Ford is going to have some thinking to do as to which SUV mix to introduce in what market (EcoSport, Escape, Edge, Explorer, Everest, and Expedition)... And that is problem I forsee with the NA market... Its a very crowed SUV mix right now and the Everest and Explorer are extremely close in size (~196 inches) and equipment options (3 row seating). This is creates too much product overlap. And those thinking the NA market will shift back to traditional SUVs haven't been paying attention to the sales trends... Ford, GM, and Chysler replaced their body-on-frame traditional SUVs because the sales trends dictated that. And soon Nissan will be following suit as the Pathfinder moves to a unibody platform. Last holdout is Toyota with the 4Runner and Lexus GX and I think those are likely to follow suit soon. The era of traditonal SUVs in the mold of midsized all-rounders is over... Traditional SUVs will continue to hold on as uber-capable compact utilites (Wrangler, XTerra, FJ) and the half-ton (class 2) large utilities (Tahoe and Expedition). The Everest woud be capable of competing with the Wrangler and friends, in the mold of the original Bronco, but I think as currently sized it seems too big. A relatively simple chop to remove the 3rd row of seating would reduce the length to the right size, but now I'm adding additonal costs...

Edited by Kris Kolman

Looks like a great little truck (even if it is a photshop merge of a T6 Ranger and Territory)... Considering its based off theT6 Ranger I expect a uber-capable machine. Something that should do well in the developing world. Ford is going to have some thinking to do as to which SUV mix to introduce in what market (EcoSport, Escape, Edge, Explorer, Everest, and Expedition)... And that is problem I forsee with the NA market... Its a very crowed SUV mix right now and the Everest and Explorer are extremely close in size (~196 inches) and equipment options (3 row seating). This is creates too much product overlap. And those thinking the NA market will shift back to traditional SUVs haven't been paying attention to the sales trends... Ford, GM, and Chysler replaced their body-on-frame traditional SUVs because the sales trends dictated that. And soon Nissan will be following suit as the Pathfinder moves to a unibody platform. Last holdout is Toyota with the 4Runner and Lexus GX and I think those are likely to follow suit soon. The era of traditonal SUVs in the mold of midsized all-rounders is over... Traditional SUVs will continue to hold on as uber-capable compact utilites (Wrangler, XTerra, FJ) and the half-ton (class 2) large utilities (Tahoe and Expedition). The Everest woud be capable of competing with the Wrangler and friends, in the mold of the original Bronco, but I think as currently sized it seems too big. A relatively simple chop to remove the 3rd row of seating would reduce the length to the right size, but now I'm adding additonal costs...

What you see as a "crowded showroom" for Ford is what i call Ford playing to the markets voracious desire for Utilities,

the market is so fragmented these days that you just cant front up with two or three SUVs and conquer it , there's so many

niches and so much more money to be made as compared to building sedans. Shared platforms makes diversity cost effective.

While the US is saying no to T6 ranger and Everest for now, that doesn't mean they won't change their mind in the future,

it's always great to have products sitting in the back ground if market buying trends suddenly change, Ford has some possible

alternate plans parked off shore, they may or may not need them but having them gives them confidence to move forward

with their primary plans knowing if everything changes, they have other products available.

Edited by jpd80

Guess I somewhat understand the parking offshore concept... But that the T6 Ranger and Everest were really designed for the various world-markets, in particular Asia-Africa. North America is at best a second thought... And I was more thinking about the US and Canadian market situations. The trends are very clear that there is a surviving NA market for traditional SUVs are compact uber-utilities such as the Wrangler Unlimited and class 2 capable utilities such as the Tahoe. Between those two extremes the market trends are clear as day that people want CUVs. That is because the vast majority of people buying these vehicles (Escape thru Explorer) are looking for a high H-point, people carrying capability, and all-weather mobility. These buyers aren't concerned about all-terrain or tow/haul capability and would gladly give up some of that for car like handling and better fuel economy. This is the market segmentation I think you are talking about. The vast majority of buyers have spoken with their feet and the manufacturers are adjusting as necessary. I don't see the market shifting back to put a high desire either off-road or haul/towing capability. What this means is that the enthusiast market is now left scrambling... They either have to move down market to the compact Wrangler Unlimited, etc or up market to the class 2 Tahoe, etc. Interestingly this same market segmentation basically means these two ends of the market will remain traditional SUVs... There is no soccer mom pressure to change, and in fact the opposite as your entire market becomes enthusiasts. In way they have become their own version of the pony car market.

So the question is my mind is that the Everest is sized right for the CUV middle, not for the traditional SUV ends. That would seem to indicate that it is a bad fit for the NA market. I just don’t see that many people desiring a 3rd row midsized traditional SUV anymore, the market forces just aren’t there and unlikely to development. And even if so Ford would likely be concerned that the Everest cannibalizing the Explorer. Now Ford could chop off the 3rd row and remake the original Bronco, but would the sales be there to cover the modifications? Of course this all assumes the T6 Ranger is sold over here and the powertrain issues are resolved (I have been advocating an all 4-cylinder lineup with an EB4, not a V6).

So the question is my mind is that the Everest is sized right for the CUV middle, not for the traditional SUV ends. That would seem to indicate that it is a bad fit for the NA market. I just don't see that many people desiring a 3rd row midsized traditional SUV anymore, the market forces just aren't there and unlikely to development. And even if so Ford would likely be concerned that the Everest cannibalizing the Explorer. Now Ford could chop off the 3rd row and remake the original Bronco, but would the sales be there to cover the modifications? Of course this all assumes the T6 Ranger is sold over here and the powertrain issues are resolved (I have been advocating an all 4-cylinder lineup with an EB4, not a V6).

Everest is basically the same size as 2002 Explorer, perfect for global markets as you say but equally, Ford can look on with confidence

when GM rolls oyt the Colorado and Colorado 7 SUV and know they have those bases covered if there are any decent sales to be had...

My comments previously were also to do with the NA market, Ford can have as much variety in SUvs and CUVs as the market wants

so while we see a lot of what was once considered "too close" products now sell into distinctive and defined market demographics.

Ford reducing platform numbers and making more variants on continuing products is key to maintaining profitability with diversity.

Edited by jpd80

As I inferred I see "holes" in the Ford SUV lineup that T6 and the Everest in some form could be exploited with the way the market has segmented... But those holes I believe are for specialized, singular focused vehicles, not general all-rounders. Ford has the general all-rounder category covered well with the Escape, Edge, and Explorer. The overlap between these three is just right, allowing each to be marketed and focused differently (Escape entry level, Edge on-road performance, and Explorer people hauling). I don't see an opening between these three vehicles for another all-rounder (CUV). Maybe something below it in terms of the EcoSport, but I have doubts an overweight Fiesta with what I estimate a $18k starting price would do well in NA. But I don't think there is much overlap between it and the existing lineup. And above these I believe Ford has a lot of untapped potential in the Expedition half-ton (class 2) SUV... Just need to maximize commonality with the F-150 (i.e. be identical from the A-Pillar forward) to reduce costs with the reduced sales rate. But the F-150 power train improvements, in particular the EB6, I think will put a surge back into the Expedition sales. And the running it off the same line with as many commonalties as possible with the F-150 will assure it doesn't fall behind again. So where is the "white space" in this lineup? Ford lacks an off-road active lifestyle vehicle like the Wrangler Unlimited, XTerra, and FJ... A true Ford Bronco. Ideally looking at those vehicle specs it would be have to be highly capable off-road, be supportive of aftermarket modifications, have 2 rows of seats, wheelbase ~106 in, and length ~186 in. Basically something about the same size as the Edge, but there is little to no product overlap as one is clearly on-road focused the other off-road. The Everest to me seems a bit big and all-round focused and might be a bit too much of a square for the round hole I see. But is a great foundation and starting point for this vehicle... And if there is room for the Edge and Explorer it the NA market, why not the Bronco and Everest in a world market. The Wrangler is of course available overseas and Toyota sells the FJ alongside the Prada (4Runner)… So a shortened off-road version of the Everest would have world-wide applications.

Ford has the general all-rounder category covered well with the Escape, Edge, and Explorer. The overlap between these three is just right, allowing each to be marketed and focused differently (Escape entry level, Edge on-road performance, and Explorer people hauling).

IMHO Edge is a "dead man walking". That platform (CD3) is going away. Fusion is moving to EUCD. leaving only Edge/MkX on CD3 Not certain when it is dieing, but it is going away.

The Explorer is over weight. It should have come in at under 4,000 lbs. That platform (D3/4) likely will be phased out, but the CD3 will go first. Rumors still have Taurus moving to a stretched EUCD platform some time in the future.

Calling the Explorer a "people hauler" means you have "drank the Kool Aid". The 3rd seat is a waste. Good for kids under 12 and if you don't need any cargo space. If you want to haul 6 adults in reasonable comfort and have good cargo space, you need a E-Series or an Expedition EL.

If there is another Expedition, it will have a lot of commonality with the F150.

Despite what the customer wants (SUVs with little Sport and almost no Utility), Ford need to downsize their pickups, SUVs and CUVs in order to meet future CAFE standards.

I'm still betting that the T6 will show up in the US, but not until after 2015. Not so certain about the Everest. I would think it would be easier/cheaper to build that size SUV/CUV off the T6 than make yet another variation of the EUCD. Could they do 2 vehicles (CUV on EUCD and SUV on T6), sure. My gut says they won't.

FYI, Recent "not for the public" comments from Mullaly indicate there is no plans to "grow" the US market. India, China and Russia are where they are targeting growth.

• Like 1

Everyone was drinking kool-aid if they thought the Explorere could come in at the 4,000 lb target... Explorer is right in line with its competitors in the market... Ford has to live by the same laws of physics, government regualtions, and material costs as everyone else. Glass House might want it to be different, but next time they should make more reasonable targets.

Acura MDX = 4594 lb

Audi Q7 = 5291 lb

BMW X5 = 4960 lb

Buick Enclave = 4780 lb

Chevy Traverse = 4658 lb

Dodge Durango = 4756 lb

Ford Explorer = 4557 lb

GMC Acadia = 4656 lb

Honda Pilot = 4299 lb

Mazda CX-9 = 4328 lb

Volvo XC90 = 4751 lb

First off you say Explorer is too heavy and next say it isn't big enough... Can't be both. The Explorer and its ilk aren't designed to carry adults in the rear seat regularly. Same thing with our '07 Mountaineer (last gen) where the 3rd row is for short infrequent trips. Ford makes something to carry people regularly in the 3rd row... Its called the Expedition. Explorer 3rd row once again is right in line with its competitors... Right tool for the right job... If your using the wrong tool expect it to be more painful to get the job done.

FYI, Recent "not for the public" comments from Mullaly indicate there is no plans to "grow" the US market. India, China and Russia are where they are targeting growth.

Exactly and whilst growth in the North American market with fresh/new products is important, investing in products for China, India and Russia

must surely take priority over pursuing niche vehicles for the US market, Ford's desire to increase its global sales in those other three centers

has to bean even stronger and more compelling business case.

Edited by jpd80

So what if CD3 is going away and Fusion is moving to EUCD... Why is it your assumption that this results in the Edge and MKX dieing? That doesn't make any sense to me. Edge and MKX can easily follow suit and be continued on a version of the EUCD platform. The Edge is a high seller with ~120,000 units per year for the Edge in US alone. And does have an international market, sold in various asian markets including China. Why would Ford suddenly abandon that vehicle? Seems about the most stupid thing Ford could do... Even with a larger Escape there is still plenty of room with little overlap between a S-Max sized Edge in Ford's quiver (I'm nott repeating myself). If anything the larger Escape helped the Edge find a more defined role, along with make room for a the EcoSport to go global. I don't suspect EUCD would take much to modify it for a SUV varient. EUCD already has everything in the pipeline needed: Take an AWD varient of the estate/wagon, add 2in stilts, raise the H-point 2 in, and finally add a SUV top hat.

As for the Explorer... Once again I don't think you understand what you are talking aobut. There is plenty of talk that D4 will be retained as a utility only platform... Independant of what happens with Taurus. Once again why would Ford abandon a platform/vehicle that has only been out for 18 months and in all varients is selling 165,000+ per year. And this is without the upcomming high profit margin MKExplorer (Aviator). The Flex and MKT could move off the platform without effecting the margins either, volume/profits could be covered by the MKExplorer (Aviator). The costs are sunk and Ford can continue building the Explorer on the D4 platofmr for another 10 yrs (2+ refresh) before it would seem old.

And once last point people who put down the cash for the vehicle define the market... If people want large SUVs they will buy them and some automanufacturer will make them. Government regulations play with the margins, and don't influence the core direction of the market.

Edited by Kris Kolman

And once last point people who put down the cash for the vehicle define the market... If people want large SUVs they will buy them and some automanufacturer will make them. Government regulations play with the margins, and don't influence the core direction of the market.

And that market is changing, the needs of those buyers is changing and so to must auto makers plans for future vehicles.

The worst thing you can do is stand still with a product and have no eye to the future and where you buyers are heading..

Edge is a great vehicle, I got some good seat time in 2009 and IMO, it's a slightly bigger version of much lighter Mazda CX-7,

a vehicle my wife drives ATM. I find a lot of parallels in the design and I keep thinking that perhaps a slightly wider version

with Ecoboost would make an excellent Edge.So perhaps a redesign using EUCD/CD4 gives us a more efficient Edge....

Edited by jpd80

So what if CD3 is going away and Fusion is moving to EUCD... Why is it your assumption that this results in the Edge and MKX dieing? That doesn't make any sense to me. Edge and MKX can easily follow suit and be continued on a version of the EUCD platform.

You are correct. I should have said Edge/MkX "as we know them".

There is plenty of talk that D4 will be retained as a utility only platform... Independant of what happens with Taurus. Once again why would Ford abandon a platform/vehicle that has only been out for 18 months and in all varients is selling 165,000+ per year. And this is without the upcomming high profit margin MKExplorer (Aviator). The Flex and MKT could move off the platform without effecting the margins either, volume/profits could be covered by the MKExplorer (Aviator). The costs are sunk and Ford can continue building the Explorer on the D4 platofmr for another 10 yrs (2+ refresh) before it would seem old.

Good points !

The Law Enforcement Agencies would be very upset if Ford made major changes to their PI vehicles any time soon.

Flex sales keep dropping. The livery service people are not happy with their "special" version of the MkT. Cab companies have not bought into the Transit Connect yet. Maybe the V408N will change their mind.

Agreed. I would love an Expedition with a 3.5L EcoBoost and a 6 speed. Much more room. Good cargo space in the EL even with 6 adults.

Flex sales keep dropping. The livery service people are not happy with their "special" version of the MkT. Cab companies have not bought into the Transit Connect yet. Maybe the V408N will change their mind.

Two suggestions for replacing Flex and MKT:

Replace Flex with LWB low rider Explorer stationwagon

Replace MKT with 117.9" wheelbase MKS for a true Town Car....

An Explorer EL with 117.9" wheelbase and AWD Ecoboost would add to Explorer numbers..

Agreed. I would love an Expedition with a 3.5L EcoBoost and a 6 speed. Much more room. Good cargo space in the EL even with 6 adults.

I hope Ford doesn't let the chance slip by, that would be an excellent combination...

Edited by jpd80

Two suggestions for replacing Flex and MKT:

Replace Flex with LWB low rider Explorer stationwagon

Replace MKT with 117.9" wheelbase MKS for a true Town Car....

An Explorer EL with 117.9" wheelbase and AWD Ecoboost would add to Explorer numbers...

definitely agree about the stretched MKS! (old chop Link)

&but

I had a thought of the day earlier - think inspired by one of your posts, Jpd

Could a SUV based on the Falcon-derived GRwdP

REPLACE the Navigator+MKT+not.yet.confirmed-Aviator?

...possibly with 'regular' & extended versions?

&

definitely NOT suggesting any equivalent Ford versions! - think it'd be fine for the Ford Brand to carry on with D4 and the new CD4+ cuv versions (+ F-150 based Expedition) for the foreseeable future

Edited by 2b2

Have they even built any livery MkT's yet? It was supposed to start with the 2013 model, no? See plenty of TC Cabs in Chicago, and even a handful of Flex Cabs.