Predicting Best Sales year ever for Fusion

Since its first full year of sales in 2006 through 2010, the Ford Fusion has expanded share of the midsize segment by 5.2 percentage points. In 2006, Fusion had sales of 142,502 and 6.7 percent of segment share. By 2010, Fusion sales had risen to 219,219 for an 11.9 percent share, representing an increase in sales of 54 percent over that period. By comparison, Toyota Camry experienced a 27 percent decline while Honda Accord sales saw a 20 percent drop.

Considering the Futura/Fusion program started to offer F-Series customers a sedan to park alongside their trucks, this is pretty amazing.

“In addition to being a sales superstar, Fusion has been incredibly successful in attracting new customers to the Ford showroom,” said Hoyt. “Fusion is our top conquest vehicle, as 40 percent of Fusion buyers are new to the Ford brand.”

:rockon:

Edited by PREMiERdrum

The Fusion is an exceptional success story for Ford in such an important segment as mid-sized cars. If you are strong there, you are probably a strong player in market. Ford is very strong in pickups and mid sized cars and small utilities making them a super strong auto company. Too bad investors can't interpret sales charts very well. Ford is easily one of the more underpriced stocks on the NYSE. You wonder what Ford has to do to get noticed. North America can easily make up for any losses in Europe.

• Like 1

I'd say Ford got the best end of the deal when it came to their partnership with Mazda on the Fusion and Escape. I am sort of sad that partnership is over because Ford and Mazda actually came up with some pretty good stuff when they worked together.

You gotta learn how to move on Explorer. Ford doesn't need Mazda as much as before. The new Focus and Escape will do fine. And I'm prepared to be wowed by the new Fusion and MKZ. And Ford is raising the fun quotient on its new vehicles as bonus. Also, the new Focus is more like a Mazda 2 fun wise than previous Focus. I look for the 2013 Escape to be more fun to drive also with its lower center of gravity and more aero design. Add in Ecoboost, and it will be really up on fun quotient much like Mazda mystique. The new Escape will get great reviews much like the LR Evoque is garnering.

• Like 1

The Fusion is an exceptional success story for Ford in such an important segment as mid-sized cars. If you are strong there, you are probably a strong player in market. Ford is very strong in pickups and mid sized cars and small utilities making them a super strong auto company. Too bad investors can't interpret sales charts very well. Ford is easily one of the more underpriced stocks on the NYSE. You wonder what Ford has to do to get noticed. North America can easily make up for any losses in Europe.

Steady as she goes. As Ford continues to earn more/vehicle than GM more money will move to Ford and the price will go up.

You gotta learn how to move on Explorer. Ford doesn't need Mazda as much as before. The new Focus and Escape will do fine. And I'm prepared to be wowed by the new Fusion and MKZ. And Ford is raising the fun quotient on its new vehicles as bonus. Also, the new Focus is more like a Mazda 2 fun wise than previous Focus. I look for the 2013 Escape to be more fun to drive also with its lower center of gravity and more aero design. Add in Ecoboost, and it will be really up on fun quotient much like Mazda mystique. The new Escape will get great reviews much like the LR Evoque is garnering.

I actually think they need Mazda more now than before. Ford needs to focus on Asia. With Mazda behind them they can garner a bigger market and bigger investments than just by themselves. There is a reason after all that AutoAlliance is still around and will be around in Thailand.

I actually think they need Mazda more now than before. Ford needs to focus on Asia. With Mazda behind them they can garner a bigger market and bigger investments than just by themselves. There is a reason after all that AutoAlliance is still around and will be around in Thailand.

I think Mazda needs Ford much more than it did even a few years ago. Mazda is struggling here with no small utility now with Tribute gone and Mazda 6 is struggling a lot while Fusion motors along. Meanwhile, new Focus will also put pressure on Mazda 3 sales. Fiesta too is better option in many ways than Mazda 2. As of now, other than Miata and Mazda 5, no real reason to pick a Mazda over Ford in competing segments, The big profits are here in North America and make or break an auto company if you screw up here. Back in the 90's when Ford last dominated the sales charts here, they struggled in Europe and while it dented profits, it was minimal damage. Ditto for China. Lots of analyts seeme focused on China and the couple hundred million in profits while N.A. makes billions.

• Like 1

I'd say Ford got the best end of the deal when it came to their partnership with Mazda on the Fusion and Escape. I am sort of sad that partnership is over because Ford and Mazda actually came up with some pretty good stuff when they worked together.

all Mazda got in return was the ability to remain out of bankruptcy.

• Like 1

I am a died in the wool unabashed Ford fan...I have owned Fords since I could drive....my 2006 Fusion was my first NEW Ford.....I enjoyed it so much, when it came time to replace it, naturally, I bought a 2012 Fusion SEL 2.5L in Cinnamon Metallic......although, if the 2013 model is as good as rumored, I may be back in the market sooner rather than later.... :shades:

Why did you criticize me for making the comment? I was just saying that Ford did well with these Ford-Mazda projects and actually ended up benefiting Ford a lot more then Mazda did with it's Tribute and Mazda 6. It is also correct to say that Ford helped keep Mazda out of bankruptcy, however Mazda appears to be struggling again which is a shame because they are one of my favorite Japanese automakers and I like a lot of their products.

I just made the statement that some good stuff came out of the partnership and in the future depending on the market or situation they might wish they still had a partner like Mazda around. When the Fusion came out Ford had nothing except an old, very dated and dynamically poor chassis left from the old midsize Taurus and because of Mazda they were able to quickly get their hands on an outstanding chassis for a midsize car.

I didn't even criticize the new Ford products which I am sure will be fine I was only giving some credit to Mazda for helping Ford make these vehicles successful. That's it. Next time you tell me to learn to move on please don't read between the lines.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 3

Oh Lord, I hope Ford hasn't just pulled the sports announcers curse on themselves. For those that are wondering what that is, the sports announcers curse happens when you are watching a football game for instance and the announcer is fawning over some particular player and saying how great he is and what a wonderful year he is having and how he is just head and shoulders above the rest of the competition and then on the next play that guy will fumble the ball or throw an interception or something. lol

Anyway, I hope Ford hasn't sports announcer cursed themselves because the Fusion is actually a good car.

Oh Lord, I hope Ford hasn't just pulled the sports announcers curse on themselves. For those that are wondering what that is, the sports announcers curse happens when you are watching a football game for instance and the announcer is fawning over some particular player and saying how great he is and what a wonderful year he is having and how he is just head and shoulders above the rest of the competition and then on the next play that guy will fumble the ball or throw an interception or something. lol

Anyway, I hope Ford hasn't sports announcer cursed themselves because the Fusion is actually a good car.

Also called, "the kiss of death.." ...........LOL

No, I think it's Ok to crow about success.

From me to you , diesel and powershift works great but IMO, Ford should have stuck 6F35 auto in US Focus,

I thought that would have been a dead set certanty and the Powershift promoted as the manual replacement..

Sorry to hear your shit luck....Fusion with auto probably looks good to a lot of buyers too..

Edited by jpd80

Also called, "the kiss of death.." ...........LOL

No, I think it's Ok to crow about success.

From me to you , diesel and powershift works great but IMO, Ford should have stuck 6F35 auto in US Focus,

I thought that would have been a dead set certanty and the Powershift promoted as the manual replacement..

Sorry to hear your shit luck....Fusion with auto probably looks good to a lot of buyers too..

Not sure what the 6F35 tranny is but if that is a dual clutch with a wet clutch system then I agree. If they had used the wet clutch it probably would never have been an issue and I'd still be driving a Focus right now. But its water under the bridge at this point.

Well, NAIAS and Fusion intro not far away now. I plan on going a weekday early as possible so that I can spend a couple hours looking before crowds come streaming in. First stop will be Ford and then come back at end to get probably a different perspective after checking out competition. I would imagine the new Fusion will be on revolving stand only and will not be able to sit in one. Hopefully the new Escape will be on floor so that you can crawl around it and in it. Other vehicles I want to see are new Dart, ATS, 911, and BMW and Audi in general. Every year I think about doing the charity ball as price has come down to $250 and lots of room to view cars, but cheapy me never does. Not comfortable beling someone I'm not anyway. The MKZ concept should be interesting as I would think it will closely look like production model. Only about two weeks away now. For a car nut, this is the true Holiday Season. :happy feet:

There were alot of naysayers back when the 2006 came out. 'Too small', 'Not enough HP', 'Too much Mazda', 'Should be called Taurus', 'Should keep DN101 Taurus forever!', and the one poster who swore 'Fusion will never sell more than 10k a month'!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Yeah there was a lot of debate on the original Fusion. It's telling that there are plenty of 06-09's on the road. The conquest sales are great and simply put, it's a fine mid-size sedan. Plain and simple.

The one thing I like about the current Fusion (both before and after MCE) is that it's one of the few current midsize family sedans that's actually worth driving. For the segment it's in, it has a great balance of comfort and responsiveness so that I can roll down the road for quite a long time and not be bored with the act of driving.

I'd be highly disappointed in Ford if they lost that in the new Fusion.