2011 F350 front end shake

CuriousG

Just left a message with my service dept at the dealership that I got my truck. It was doing it from new, but last night it got down right VIOLENT. At around 50 mph or so you hit a bump in the road and it shakes and shimmeys until you hit the brakes and slow to 10 or 20 mph. It feels like the rfont end is going to shake right off the truck. Any recalls or others have same problem? I hope its a well known problem and fix already. I just turned 22K on the odometer.

-G

2011 F350 Lariat

Edited by CuriousG

It's known as the "death wobble" by several who have experienced it. Search YouTube...there are several videos of it.

Here is a thread and a video from a 2011 driver who put new shocks and a steering stabilizer on his to fix a similar (not as bad as yours) problem: Forum Link

When the funds come available, I want to do something similar to my '08. It wobbles over bumps, not serious, but enough that I would like to get it fine-tuned a little better.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took a look at the 08 on this video

and thats it exactly. Ive owned the original Super Duty in 98 (called a 99), sold and got a 03 and then an 08 and now the 2011. Never happened to me before.

HOLY SMOKES !!

that is insane!!!!... thats the first time i ever saw a Ford do that!...heard of it in jeeps.....I love my superduty, but that right there would scare the shit outta me!!

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Wow. That is disturbing. Hope they fixed that in the 2013 model year.

There really isn't a fix for it, it is a characteristic of any SFA. All you can do is be sure all your front end parts are in perfect condition, alignment is correct, and don't go crazy with aftermarket wheels and tires. The last thing you want is wheels with more offset. The Jeep guys have had these problems for years and years.

The real 'fix' is independent front suspension

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to let everyone know how happy I have been with this 2011 F350. I am averaging over 17 mpg in hilly SW PA. Most driving is not highway. My new 2013 should be in in a couple weeks. Same truck with captains chairs and console this time. Very satisfied.

-Gary

• 8 months later...

I have a 2011 f-350 king ranch with the death wobble. The truck has 50500 miles and the wobble was really, really bad today at about 55 miles per hour. The truck is under extended warranty and I have taken it to two different ford dealerships. They say there is no fix. Any suggestions. The truck has a second set of tires on it but new tires after 5000 miles don't help. Really pissed. Tim

Curious G sounds like my and your truck were built at the same time. The first time I noticed the wobble was at 20,000 miles. Pretty small at that time but like yours it is down right violent now. Wander if this has caused any accidents as of yet. The whole truck shakes so bad it will almost take the wheel out of your hands. Tim

Check everything for looseness. 90% of the time, if a new steering stabilizer shock doesn't do it, the ball joint on the end of the track bar is loose. Though looseness in the steering box, tie rod ends, knuckle ball joints or trailing arm bushings can all set it up. Caster and camber need to be set right as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Got truck back from 2nd local dealer. They fixed the def level sensor but didn't seem interested in taking on the death wobble. After talking to two different ford dealerships and neither one wanting to put out much effort to fix the wobble I don't have much good to say for ford. After I wrote on this site I did get some feed back from ken stoeple ford about why I was taking truck to a different dealership. Extended warranty isn't worth the price. King Ranch F350 only has 55000 miles and shakes violently.

It can start brand new if parts aren't tight. Mileage has jack to do with it. It is an inherent issue in ALL solid axle front ends. And as for dealerships, techs are paid flat rate. So they want to fix your problem, or they wont get paid. Show the service writer or tech the issue and he can fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem at 36,000 miles. Took it in just before my bumper to bumper warranty ran out. The dealership replaced the front steering stabilzer. Which fixed the problem. Now it has come back again at 100,000 miles. I installed a Bilstien steering stabilizer and reduced the shaking a lot. But I still get it occassionally, Especially at 50-60 mph on left hand radius turns where I hit a bump.

I had asked the dealership to look at the front end when I had it in to flush and replace my coolant. They said everything was fine. I'm going to swap out tires, my current tires are almost worn out, if that doesn't fix the problem, then its time to start replacing parts on the track bar.