Ford November 2011 Sales up 13%, Retail up 20%

It should also be noted that Fusion doesn't have the Dual Clutch Auto OR MyFORD Touch........two bugs of the Focus that are being sorted out.

Plus one.

The NTHSB has not released their findings yet on the MT82. I doubt anything will come of it but Ford has gone through 7 or 8 updates to the transmission. That says a lot and I question the quality control out of China. What have your bought from their lately that was better than a North American product? The Tremec 6060 puts the Getrag to shame. Ford cheaped out and its cost them.

The dual clutch trans does have a different characteristic but there are a lot of reports of grinding ect and dealers tell owners that its normal? Are you kidding me? Im not impressed in the least and I cant help but wonder why Ford has gone back to a conventional trans in the new Escape. I think its a good move.

Combined D3 sales in November are over 21,00, not bad for a platform considered by some to be a flop...:shades:

As I posted in the GM thread...

Ford D3 Utility Sales: 15,325

GM Lambda Utility Sales: 15,954

Considering 2 of the 3 D3's are considered flops, I'd say this is excellent news for Ford. Especially considering refreshed Lambdas are still almost a year off.

. Maybe it's the cheap n' nasty "Made in Korea' that puts us off buying the Cruze?.

What are Ford doing wrong Stateside Richard why are you buying more shitty piss poor Cruze's over the Focus, or is love blind when your Cruze is "Made in the USA"?

Aren't Europeans buying a lot of Hyundais?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hyundai-motor-targets-higher-2011-europe-sales-2011-09-22

The reviews of the Cruze here have been good. It's an older design than the Focus, and that may work to it's advantage: less bugs.

My 2 cents on the Mustang is that the base price is now around $23,000 when in 2005 it was $19,000. 2010 was the time of the car sales crash and the Mustang'e restyle and price increase. (The new interior was passed on to the customer.) There were many great features added to the Mustang like the new engines and all, but the customers still expected the same price.

Then it also got competition.

Combine that with it having the same basic shape from 2005 on, (A shape that I personally still find beautiful.) and I think you have the formula for the sales decrease. I hope the new generation changes that. And there should be a base model with a... dare I say it... a turbo 4.

I have a big problem with it Richard, the the technically brilliant Focus (But the shape has been constantly marked as a big let down here) is in a different league to the piss poor Crap Cruze they are like chalk and cheese. I might be a bit thick but l do read auto reviews here the Focus always gets rave top reviews, the Cruze is rated a well below average car in the UK by the motoring press. It's also reflected in sales Focus sold 5,200 here compared to 150 Cruze sales last month. Maybe it's the cheap n' nasty "Made in Korea' that puts us off buying the Cruze?.

What are Ford doing wrong Stateside Richard why are you buying more shitty piss poor Cruze's over the Focus, or is love blind when your Cruze is "Made in the USA"?

Compared to last years figures, the slight drop in Focus sales was mirrored by an almost identical rise in Fusion sales,

so effectively, increases in Fusion sales combined with its higher average transaction price made Ford more money.

The same thing happened over at GM where Cruze sales dropped and Malibu rose...

FJM, unlike Europe there is a significant price difference between a Focus/Cruze and Fusion/Malibu.

The US market is still predominantly trucks and utilities, cars are still small beer and not as significant.

And for all their bluster and bravado, GM sold just over 180,000 vehicles to Ford's 166,000.

Edited by jpd80

They might not dump the PowerShift, but I could see them add a conventional automatic as an option if they feel it could help improve sales enough to offset the additional engineering expense. Why not?

The 6F is available in Australia on the 2.0 DI alongside the Powershift,

so the engineering is done, if not the emissions certification...

I can't believe the US went with no auto, the Powershift is not really an auto substitute,

I'm thinking it's a big turn off to people used to a nice auto transmission..

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

Ford wont be dumping the powershift or China built Mt82 anytime soon. They are deep in bed with getrag now. They made their bed and now can lie in it. I would love to talk with the Ford brass about this but everytime they have live chat they ignore these questions. I guess the bean counters won out.

• Like 1

LOL get off my wave length...

and mine, I have yet to see ONE, yep ONE Mustang out back with the trans issue, and only a few DCT's come in for....A REFLASH!...bifg friggen deal....dont get me started on MFT though, havent seen too many in for issues but have for just plain and simple FRUSTRATION.....not a fan, give me the f-150 and Flex interface...alas, they will be going down the road of un-necessary tech as well.....sigh.....

Ford wont be dumping the powershift or China built Mt82 anytime soon. They are deep in bed with getrag now. They made their bed and now can lie in it. I would love to talk with the Ford brass about this but everytime they have live chat they ignore these questions. I guess the bean counters won out.

see post 66 and qquit the damn bleating.....the issues are a minutely small % and are/ have been adressed.

The 6F is available in Australia on the 2.0 DI alongside the Powershift,

so the engineering is done, if not the emissions certification...

I can't believe the US went with no auto, the Powershift is not really an auto substitute,

I'm thinking it's a big turn off to people used to a nice auto transmission..

If you go to Ford Australia's Website you will see that they only offer a manual and the powershift.....

Ford Motor Company Sales, November 2011: 166k (Ford + Lincoln)

General Motors Sales, November 2011: 180k (Chevrolet + GMC + Buick + Cadillac)

Ouch.

+ Lincoln. Surprised no one has mentioned Lincoln November sales being down 17% year over year. With the final TC's being sold shortly, sales are only going to get worse short term at least. Who knows at what sales number Lincoln sales bottom out at. Even if Lincoln was on my buy list, I would be nervous about resale vaule going forward with such dismal sales. Sales wise, Lincoln is not even a period at the end of a long sentence anymore.

• Like 2

I would think that Ford for 2013MY Focus could at least offer the 6 speed in 2013 Escape as option for buyers who don't want the Powershift. Choice is good. Why force it down customers throat if they don't want it? Make it available like MFT, but give the customer option. Some don't want a foot clutchless manual.

I would think that Ford for 2013MY Focus could at least offer the 6 speed in 2013 Escape as option for buyers who don't want the Powershift. Choice is good. Why force it down customers throat if they don't want it? Make it available like MFT, but give the customer option. Some don't want a foot

clutchless manual.

the escape has the 6F because the torque levels are too high for a dry DCT to be used.

simply put the 6f cannot meet the MPG numbers the DCT can, if they put the EB 1.6 in the focus the 6F would come with it too. i think over time people will adjust to the DCT, ford priority with the focus has to get the mpgs up to better differentiate it from the competition.

the price point is fine, once the new mondeo/fusion arrive sales will improve, much like the old focus was stealing sales from the fiesta, the same thing is happening to the new focus.even if sales do not increase fords combined global volume with the escape and new focus garauntee profitablilty as long as they stay away from incentives.

Neither the Fiesta or Focus are cracking into the top 3 on the sales charts in their respective categories. The Focus is actually one of the poorest sellers in the segment, outsold even by the VW Jetta. And what's more worrisome is the steady decline month to month. Anybody know what the inventory levels are on the Focus? I know the lots around me are crammed to the gills with them (of course I'm near Wayne assembly). The Focus is definitely a good seller in Michigan, lots of them on the roads.

I think Ford just needs time to re-tune this product. Unfortunately their quality troubles have botched the initial enthusiasm of critics which means this car has gotten buried behind too many mixed messages (it's a great car, but...).

Edited by BORG

Neither the Fiesta or Focus are cracking into the top 3 on the sales charts in their respective categories. The Focus is actually one of the poorest sellers in the segment, outsold even by the VW Jetta. And what's more worrisome is the steady decline month to month. Anybody know what the inventory levels are on the Focus? I know the lots around me are crammed to the gills with them (of course I'm near Wayne assembly). The Focus is definitely a good seller in Michigan, lots of them on the roads.

I think Ford just needs time to re-tune this product. Unfortunately their quality troubles have botched the initial enthusiasm of critics which means this car has gotten buried behind too many mixed messages (it's a great car, but...).

If it's true that Ford is adding a third shift as promised to UAW at MAP, they better sell more than 10,000-12,000/month and another 2,000 or so to Canadians. One shift could produce what Ford is selling now. I know the lease rates for new Focus are getting good in this region. With inventory levels growing substantially, I'm sure Ford will really start pushing Focus sales big time. With higher gas prices coming in spring, I'm sure Focus sales will start rising significantly. If $3.20/gallon is as cheap as gas gets this winter, watch out once spring comes. Pump prices will grow faster than the grass.

The Mustang, Taurus, and Edge aren't major vehicles for Ford? It's not like I said MKT, Transit Connect, or Ranger. ;)

Well...major wasn't the right term. I should have said important. Ford had a lot riding on the Focus. The (awkward) kinetic styling, the whole "One Ford" thing, etc. The Focus (if I'm correct) is the first vehicle under "One Ford". It's a hugely important model.

And it seems that Cruze owners are experiencing much less issues with their car as compared to the Focus:

Our earliest data for the 2012 Ford Focus suggested that it might similarly have a buggy launch, but after including more recent months its stat is 42 repair trips per 100 cars per year, very close to the average. Ford appears to have fixed the early bugs very quickly. But not quickly enough: other sources, using survey data from last spring, will report “worse than average” for at least the next year.

The Chevrolet Cruze appears to have suffered a similar fate. With our latest update, it’s better than average, with a score of 24.

My link

I'm sure more than just a few people are turned off by the Focus because of the buggy launch. That is probably affecting sales along with other things.

• Like 1