Avon Lake Medium Duty

jpd80 - Any launch dates for the new Transit on your side of the pond ? At one time the EU launch was to be about 1 year in advance of the NA launch.

A person I know has driven the new Transit so assessment vehicles are up and running at different ccenters,

pretty certain that all three major design centers have them so heavens knows.

Your theory on a strengthened chassis is right but still can't get details on whether it is now boxed frame

or simply an upgraded, thicker version of the existing frame than can be implemented in existing frame shop.

Merry christmas

I have only seen powertrain mules, and all have been diesel.

Could FNA be thinking 100% diesel in Transit to maximize recovery and minimize changes?

I know that FoE would be pressing for minimum changes to their basic design, a petrol engine doesn't suit their needs.

The biggest change in power train has been the inclusion of 6R80 in the 2.2 and 3.2 litre diesels for global markets,

I have heard that FNA wanted some upgrades in framing but not how sure that went...they still have to keep with angle frame

so that existing plants and their integral frame shops can continue, does that mean increase in angle member thickness?

Edited by jpd80

No. FNA isn't going 100% diesel; from what I've heard, there's going to be sharing between the Transit and (I find this humorous) the F150. I don't know to what extent, but powertrain/driveline certainly, brakes may be shared as well, dash electronics probably, front door wiring maybe, etc. It doesn't seem likely that Ford could share front suspensions between the Transit & F150, but who knows? Depends on whether Ford global is willing to have entirely different front suspensions for the FWD/AWD & RWD models (I don't think the F150 4x4 front suspension is compatible with an AWD system unless the AWD system has solid front axle).

Edited by RichardJensen

No. FNA isn't going 100% diesel; from what I've heard, there's going to be sharing between the Transit and (I find this humorous) the F150. I don't know to what extent, but powertrain/driveline certainly, brakes may be shared as well, dash electronics probably, front door wiring maybe, etc. It doesn't seem likely that Ford could share front suspensions between the Transit & F150, but who knows? Depends on whether Ford global is willing to have entirely different front suspensions for the FWD/AWD & RWD models (I don't think the F150 4x4 front suspension is compatible with an AWD system unless the AWD system has solid front axle).

Pioneer has mentioned that Job 1 for new F150 is June 2014 and if true, that means it's still two and a half years away.

It's way too early to know much about what's going to be shared but from the established hierarchy of costs,

I think we can deduce that power trains and electrical systems would be the key components.

Edited by jpd80

This is supposed to be a thread about the Avon Lake replacements for the F-650 and 750, not the Transit. Unless the Avon Lake medium duties will in fact be versions of the new Transit platform, lets get this tread back on topic.

I see that Ford has recently updated the dash on F650 and F750, since these trucks tend to get fitted out by third parties,

does this mean there will be minimal changes to cabin and frame?

I think they could stand a new body for sure. The current external design is way too old.

Either an existing Econoline cab with nose/fenders to extend out to cover the front (GMC Kodiak and Chevrolet Top Kick used the full size van cab) or a version of T-Series cab outfitted to work on the chassis for a continuation of the "One Ford" theme...

Anyone know that platform code for the new mediums? I would really like to see a spy photo, but that's probably too much to ask!

I'm about 90% certain they are the same as the old ones, which I can not remember at the moment.

F650/750 have one code, there is one for the motor home chassis and one for the school bus chassis.

UPDATES :

Motor home - F53

Commercial (school bus) - F59

Edited by theoldwizard

I'm about 90% certain they are the same as the old ones, which I can not remember at the moment.

F650/750 have one code, there is one for the motor home chassis and one for the school bus chassis.

UPDATES :

Motor home - F53

Commercial (school bus) - F59

F5s are not mediums! They are super duties built at KTP. Mediums start with f6 & f7 designations.

F5s are not mediums! They are super duties built at KTP. Mediums start with f6 & f7 designations.

F53 / F59 stripped chassis

2012 Ford Stripped Chassis | F-53 Motorhome Stripped Chassis

Browse and explore the 2012 Ford Stripped Chassis highlights.

2012 Ford Stripped Chassis | F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis

F53 / F59 stripped chassis

2012 Ford Stripped Chassis | F-53 Motorhome Stripped Chassis

2012 Ford Stripped Chassis | F-59 Commercial Stripped Chassis

Still F5s are class 5 series trucks. Medium Duty is class 6 and 7.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard from some people in the RV industry recently, and the discussion was on gasoline engines. These guys were saying that the 6.8L V-10 is only going to be around for another 2 years, and then it was going to be dropped. I was a bit surprised as I was thinking the V-10 would be offered in the 'Avon Lake Medium'. If true, it looks like the V-10 will at least be around for the 'Blue Diamond' F-650 until it goes out of production.

So:

If the V-10 is scheduled to be dropped, what, if any, gasoline engine will be offered in the Avon Lake Medium?

What does this mean for E series cutaways and the large motorhome chassis?

These guys were in the business, and seem very sure the V-10 is on the way out.

These guys were in the business, and seem very sure the V-10 is on the way out.

Not in 2 years unless they have changed the product plans in the past couple of months. Last I saw said the 6.8L would be around through 2015MY.

6.2 V8

Over 14,000 (?) GVW emission testing is done on a dyno. Part of that test includes extended WOT at high loads. The current 6.2L overheats under these conditions.

Really?

Then how come you can get a 6.2 in several vehicles rated at >14,000 GCWR? (F150 & SDs)

Vehicles over 14,000 GVWR (not GCWR) are emission tested differently by the EPA. As theoldwizard stated, part of the 'over 14,000 GVWR' test includes WOT dyno time at high loads. Lighter duty engines are not subject to those tests.

And thus the 6.2L is not offered in the F-450.

Edited by 7Mary3

I'm still calling BS on that 'overheating at WOT' remark. If that were the case, it seems implausible that Ford would rate it for use on any vehicle with a >14k GCWR.

I think the problem is you are trying to apply logic to the policies of a government agency! The 6.2L may have a problem overheating during a goverment test procedure that in all likelyhood has nothing to do with real world conditions. And Ford knows this.

For the record, the 6.2L's installed in trucks over 10,000 GVW are only rated at 322 h.p.. These engines are absolutely identical to 6.2L's installed in trucks under that GVWR (save for the Raptor), which are rated at 395 h.p.. The difference? EPA rates engines in vehicles between 10,000#'s GVWR and 14,000#'s GVWR at a different r.p.m. than lighter trucks!

Edited by 7Mary3