Avon Lake Medium Duty

Stamping plant took about a year. Not only the new presses, but the old roof was torn out and raised to accommodate the new cranes. The assembly side was enlarged and took over part of the engine plant. Word is that they will be expanding again and adding two new tandem line presses to support Super Duty volume.

I would guess, if it already isn't, it will be the largest stamping plant in the world by the time it's done.

What brand of presses do they mostly use?

Thanks for the insider perspective Pioneer, it's important that we understand and appreciate the magnitude of change

that has occurred at both plants. I'm wondering how that has now changed 1) processes and efficiency of construction

and 2) what's it like working in and around the new plants, quieter without as many welders? a nicer place to work?

Also touching on new presses for Super Duty lines, could it be that all the prep work done on F150 Aluminum truck now

makes Ford more confident with achieving a smooth the Super Duty change over . The logistics with changing out equipment

was phenomenal and I bet there were a lot of lessons learned that will help immensely -

Edited by jpd80

I haven't been inside DTP since the renovation, but by all accounts from people I've talked to say it's a much better work environment, especially in the body shop. It's a lot quieter, there is very few, if any sparks flying around and it's a lot cleaner and brighter.

I think that as Ford starts using more aluminum across more models, we will start seeing more renovations of the sort, just not to the massive degree as what DTP and KCAP went through.

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Can someone explain the history of the E550

8-450-2003_Ford_E550_Krystal.JPG

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q84.pdf

There's actually very little history for it. After the Thunderbird was discontinued it left half of the Lorain plant empty. This was a very brief attempt at utilizing the empty plant space to make something Ford thought it could market. This lasted a very short while with them building only a handful per day. It never caught on and eventually they stopped making it and ultimately closed the plant, moving the final assembly of the econoline to Avon Lake.

That's an interesting story, and it makes sense. When I first saw an E-550 I though it world go over big, since the E-350 cutaway was getting to be too light for an ambulance. Also figured it would make a great motorhome chassis. They were staring to catch on with some of the movie studios around here, but all of a sudden the E-550 was gone. Kind of erie when you think bout it, but I hope we don't see a repeat of this story at Avon Lake: Plant looses product, low volume commercial truck takes it's place, gone within 2 years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Again Avon Lake folks- we "civilians" have noted posts on employee forum about possible additions to 650-750. What's up with that?

You really have to weed through the bull$#it in the employee section to get any good info. Don't believe everything you read in there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh there are pre-production units out there, but they are probably running with the old style tilt front, so they look like the many other F670 /750 out there. There is a staging lot that I sometimes drive by where incomplete units and chassis cabs sometimes accumulate waiting for shipment to upfitters. Might check it out more often when we get into July