2013 Ford Escape World Debut

I really like it. While it may be un-identifiable as an "Escape", and more Hyundaish, its the intricasies in its design that American manufatures don't typically bother wih in thier compact designs. Now its as good as it gets in all areas, except the rugged SUV look of the current model.

Q: Will there be a Lincoln version?

Edited by Project-Fairmont

I really like it. While it may be un-identifiable as an "Escape", and more Hyundaish, its the intricasies in its design that American manufatures don't typically bother wih in thier compact designs. Now its as good as it gets in all areas, except the rugged SUV look of the current model.

Q: Will there be a Lincoln version?

Being told Yes! all new sheetmetal

If the pricing is right, I say we have a winner. Anyone who said this will look like the RAV4 or CR-V, can it. It's somewhat astonishing how much it resembles the shape of the current one from some angles in the press photos.

My colleague has a CR-V. I asked him to tell the difference between CR-V and 2013 Escape. Here is his answer: Escape is a car for Man. CR-V is a car for house wife. Very funny.

• Like 2

If I saw the front ends of this, the new Explorer or the new Edge simultaneously in my rear view mirror on the freeway. I swear I couldn't pick which one would be which out of all 3 of them. (my opinion) They look too similar in the sense that I am speaking of traveling 70 mph and NOT LOOKING AT THEM CLOSE. Even any of them wizzing past me on the side would also confuse some people. That could pose a problem with brand/ name identification with some buyers. Because some, just some consumers buy finance what the vehicle looks like, not necessarily the name of the vehicle or regard to what price it is being sold for.

Sorry, but I just don't like these crossover looking things. Nor do I like the term "crossover" used at all. It's a stupid sounding term, I've said it before and I won't stop saying it. How about "LIGHT UTILITY VEHICLE" it sounds better.

Edited by Bored of Pisteon
  • Like 2

I can buy any car that I want (within reason, I won't be buying a Bentley any time soon), and I would no sooner drive an Edge or an MkX than I would buy a Lexus RX. Too each there own. Changing a vehicle to appeal to people who would not buy one does not seem like a sound strategy. For instance, I would never suggest that Ford should change the MkX so that I would consider buying one.

I was prepared to replace my Escape with another within the next two years. It has performed MUCH better than our Flex which is a rattle trap. Unlike you, I was prepared to buy an Escape.

And I know at least a half dozen who will now be shopping elsewhere. Let us know when they follow through, I'm sure we'll all be interested in the review. The platform, interior, etc, all seem promising, too bad it fails so completely in the looks department.

I had a 2009 Mercury Mariner while I had a 2007 Lincoln MKX. Guess what replaced the Mariner? A 2011 Ford Edge. I HATED the Mariner, it was the worst quality vehicle I have ever owned, talk about rattle-trap! Heck, if you don't believe me, check out my gallery.

The Edge and MKX are the best vehicles I have ever owned, I can't stop evangelizing how happy I am (sans MLT). Now I'm totally the opposite on the Escape/Mariner and why I'm so effing thrilled to see this new car. The Escape was just a crappy and cheap alternative to the Edge, it fell to pieces while my MKX and Edge are FAR more dependable and rugged. I don't for a second buy into the myth than the Escape is a more capable SUV just because it looks like a BOF SUV. I know the reality first-hand.

Edited by BORG

If I saw the front ends of this, the new Explorer or the new Edge simultaneously in my rear view mirror on the freeway. I swear I couldn't pick which one would be which out of all 3 of them. (my opinion) They look too similar in the sense that I am speaking of traveling 70 mph and NOT LOOKING AT THEM CLOSE. Even any of them wizzing past me on the side would also confuse some people. That could pose a problem with brand/ name identification with some buyers. Because some, just some consumers buy finance what the vehicle looks like, not necessarily the name of the vehicle or regard to what price it is being sold for.

Sorry, but I just don't like these crossover looking things. Nor do I like the term "crossover" used at all. It's a stupid sounding term, I've said it before and I won't stop saying it. How about "LIGHT UTILITY VEHICLE" it sounds better.

You'd confuse this with Explorer and Edge? Really? :confused:

But you'd know they were all Fords and that's what is important.

If you see a BMW in the rear view they all look alike also. It's actually a good thing.

• Like 1

You'd confuse this with Explorer and Edge? Really? :confused:

Just a quick glance on the highway is all I am pointing out...Sometimes I do get the Explorer and Edge confused... It's just the way the vehicles are evolving into this weird European shape now. I just don't understand all the extra plastic inserts in the front of this vehicle or the Focus, or any of these newer vehicles REGARDLESS OF WHO MAKES THEM.

Just a quick glance on the highway is all I am pointing out...Sometimes I do get the Explorer and Edge confused... It's just the way the vehicles are evolving into this weird European shape now. I just don't understand all the extra plastic inserts in the front of this vehicle or the Focus, or any of these newer vehicles REGARDLESS OF WHO MAKES THEM.

I think part of it is pedestrian impact standards. It has resulted in taller front ends on a lot of vehicles. The black openings help break up what would otherwise be some pretty expansive real estate.

Wow!!!

Much better that I though it would be. I am thrilled that they maintained the 3500lb towing capacity. I fully admit that I was WRONG. I did not think the 2.0L Ecoboost would be rated to tow that much. That feature always made the Escape a little more versatile that other smaller SUV/CUV's. I honestly think that this Escape will be a run away hit. It is still large enough to be very useful to most families and still get great gas mileage. And thank GOD they put in a telescoping steering wheel for taller drivers.....

I think it looks great ( yea it looks like the Honda CRV, but so what.... ) Women will love it. The wife is already drooling over it...

I am not real happy with my 2011 F150, so I might trade for this in a year or two or just get one for the wife ( and steal it from her... :D )

Home run in my book! I just might get a dividend check someday.

Someone said something about drum brakes??? Fact?

One other quick observation-crossbars on the roof rack-amazing, a rack that is not a decoration. Looks much better than all the camo shots.

Hate to say this but all of a sudden the Explorer looks dated-IMO

Reading comments from other sites and I am seeing exactly what I expected, people saying it looks like the CRV and Tucson. The problem is that the CRV and Tucson are blatant Kuga knock-offs that got here before the Escape.

That said, I like it. Prior to this model, there was no way I'd even consider buying an Escape over the Edge. The Edge was always better looking, had a better interior, a better engine, and a better chassis. Now though, the Escape is probably the better buy, especially if pricing remains relatively flat. I bet the 2.0L EB models scoot.

Edited by atvman

Reading comments from other sites and I am seeing exactly what I expected, people saying it looks like the CRV and Tucson. The problem is that the CRV and Tucson are blatant Kuga knock-offs that got here before the Escape.

That said, I like it. Prior to this model, there was no way I'd even consider buying an Escape over the Edge. The Edge was always better looking, had a better interior, a better engine, and a better chassis. Now though, the Escape is probably the better buy, especially if pricing remains relatively flat. I bet the 2.0L EB models scoot.

The CRV and Tuscon are both very popular vehicles. If people really want to compare this to them as a negative, I think they're barking up the wrong tree. :shrug:

Was the last Escape popular too? Sure. Does that mean this one won't be? Of course not.

Not sure about the rear drum brakes but I could ask if needed and a big issue. These dont look Like drums though

The early Escapes were drum only, then with the 2005 model went to optional discs, and then went drum only again at some point (I think 2008??). I could see them being optional again (I agree, those look like discs to me!). The drums actually provided better braking on the CD2, so besides looks I don't think it matters.

It's better than I thought it would be and I'm really please that it matches the old Escape's towing capacity. Can't wait to see it in person.

Motor Trend has a photo of the interior that shows what appears to be a manual transmission...

2013-ford-escape-front-seating.jpg

No, that's an automatic.

Does anyone know if the rear hatch can be opened by the remote fob? I am not sure that I want to be kicking around under the vehicle with my arms full and ice on the ground.

I'd imagine it could be.

Eh, even when I'm standing right next to the car I'll usually use my fob instead of pushing the button on the liftgate. The back ends of vehicles tend to collect the most dirt. Call me prissy. :lol:

I do the same thing, though many times in that case, the car is locked, so I'd need to unlock it via the key fob anyway.

The early Escapes were drum only, then with the 2005 model went to optional discs, and then went drum only again at some point (I think 2008??). I could see them being optional again (I agree, those look like discs to me!). The drums actually provided better braking on the CD2, so besides looks I don't think it matters.

The car uses Off the shelf Focus components, it will have discs brakes all around. at least discs on everything but the base model.

The following selected quote from Autoblog sum up my feelings.

a little part of me agrees, the Escapes simplicity has gone AWOL. Guess its a sign of the times, not sure I embrace it. And where the hell is mention of any manual transmissions, with the 1.6 this could have been a BLAST! as for the styling its "nice"....but they could have pushed the enevelope a tad further....I did like the concept, specifically the headlights, lower front valance and lower door treatment, all items which have been changed....oh well

• Like 1

Exactly. The Edge is now on the older platform, and less efficiently packaged than the Escape alternative (which is now not painful to drive cross country).

I had an Edge for a little over two years and I really liked it. I have a 2011 Grand Cherokee now, and in most situations, the Edge was a better vehicle. The only reason I opted for the Jeep is because I need the towing capacity and off road capability since I no longer have a pick-up. Don't get me wrong, the Jeep is a fabulous vehicle, but on pavement it's more trucky nature works against it.

IMHO, it looks more like the original Escape then the outgoing model. I don't know what all this "it doesn't look like an Escape" nonsense is all about.

Wifey drives an '03. This will probably replace it.

I don't understand all the love for the last model. Terrible cars. Rattles, mechanical issues, boring, etc....