Ford Motor Company October 2011 Sales up 6%

Ford Motor Company’s October Sales up 6 Percent; Ford

Brand Utilities and Trucks Drive Gains

• Ford Motor Company’s October U.S. sales increased 6 percent versus last year; year-todate sales up 11 percent

• Ford brand sales driven by gains in utilities (up 38 percent) and trucks (up 8 percent);

Explorer sales up 225 percent; F-Series sales top 50,000 for second straight month

• Fiesta, Focus and Fusion all post higher retail sales

DEARBORN, Mich., Nov. 1, 2011 – Continued strong demand for Ford’s fuel-efficient utility vehicles and trucks lifted the company to a 6 percent increase in total sales in October.

With total sales of 167,803 vehicles, gains came largely from Ford brand utilities, up 38 percent, and strong truck sales, up 8 percent versus last year.

“More and more consumers are being attracted to Ford’s lineup of fuel-efficient vehicles – from cars and utility vehicles to our full-size pickups with EcoBoost engines,” said Ken Czubay, Ford vice president, U.S. Marketing, Sales and Service. “The Ford brand continues growing its market share, showing we have the vehicles and technologies people truly want and value.”

Year-to-date, Ford is the best-selling brand of vehicles in America with sales totaling 1,700,618, up 17 percent. With this performance, the Ford brand is now on track to increase its market share this year by about 1 percentage point – which would mark market share gains for three consecutive years.

LINK - Ford eNews

One of those Focuses was mine! :happy feet: :happy feet:

Inventory seems to be building up, but they're all gray SE sedans with the steel wheels around here. Hatches are rare, and I'd bet they'd sell more overall if aluminium wheels weren't so darn expensive on the SE (and not available at all with Frosted Glass Metallic - why?).

• Like 1

Still only 12,000 Focus units moved... Inventory issues should have been resolved by now.11k Explorer and 9k Edge, looking good. MKZ and MKX, with just under 2,000 units each, are the only bright spots in the Lincoln lineup.

With a decently equipped Focus SE running about $22,000, I figure many are opting for a Fusion SE for about same price, and 2012 Fusion SE now comes standard with handsome alloy wheels instead of those chromed plastic covers. I know I would opt for Fusion SE over Focus SE. When the new Fusion comes out, and incentive pick up on Focus, then there will be much more significant price differentation and as as a result probably decent sales bump for Focus. Also, there are still probably a few 2011 Fusions out there making price difference between Focus and Fusion nonexistent. And add in those who don't like MFT and the bad PR on powershift and new Focus has some handicaps right now.

"PremierDrum", do you want the 'good old days' of tons of Focuses sold with $3500 rebates and no profits? Sales #'s only mean something if they are bringing in cash.

Also, the 'bargain' Fusion will be replaced by next summer, and then there won't be any overlap with Focus SE and Fusion S/SE.

Edited by 630land

Not at all, I had just been hoping to see stronger numbers is all.

With MAP pushing out 20,000/month and third shift starting soon increasing production to 25,000+/month, Ford is going to have a problem selling only 12,000-15,000/month fleet sales or not. Incentives will then be needed as I'm sure Ford expected to sell more than 12,000-14,000 Focuses/month to keep inventory numbers under control. I also notice that Ford has done a lot more advertising of Focus last month or so, and realizes it needs to start pushing it off lots now. Bill Brown Ford now has more Focus on lot than Fusion.

That being said, I'm not sure how Thai flooding is impacting Focus production as Ford has already cut 4th quarter production by 30,000 vehicles because of Thai flooding where lots of auto electronic production was affected. It will be months before that situation normalizes.

One good thing is the Focus and Fiesta are selling in Detroit hating California! That makes up enough for lower #'s in Midwest states.

Californians understand DCT and love vehicles like the new Fiesta and Focus. They like sporty, good handling vehicles. I bet the Fiesta and Focus ST with 6 speed manuals sell like hot cakes there.

But it's also down from last month, and the two months or so before that.

Don't compare month to month numbers. That's what seasonal adjusting is for.

Ford's sales by month:

October: 167,803

September: 175,199

August: 175,220

July: 180,865

June: 194,114

May: 192,102

etc.

October is a slow month, as are November and February. It's just the nature of the industry. Heck, Ford sold only 147k cars last November, and that was a 24% increase over 2009's numbers.

• Like 2

The Escape is doing so poorly it is good to see that they are going to completely change it's design and ensure it blends in well with every other small CUV on the market.

The Flex and MKT are doing so well it is great to see them investing money into giving these products a refresh! That will be money well spent!!!

The Explorer is doing very well and all I wonder is where is the Lincoln version?

The Escape is doing so poorly it is good to see that they are going to completely change it's design and ensure it blends in well with every other small CUV on the market.

The Flex and MKT are doing so well it is great to see them investing money into giving these products a refresh! That will be money well spent!!!

Now that we have the clueless BS out of the way...

The Explorer is doing very well and all I wonder is where is the Lincoln version?

I hear it is coming...probably a bit off to get it right!

• Like 1

Now that we have the clueless BS out of the way...

I just you didn't catch the sacasm in my post.

But honestly what is the point of having the Flex at this point? Add a higher trim Explorer with an Eco-Boost option if you feel that you need to reach customers even higher and (or) add a Lincoln version as well. Designing and marketing 2 vehicle lines that cater to the same if not almost the same customers makes no sense. The market has spoken and what they want is Explorer... Not Flex.

Edited by 2005Explorer

HeyFordmanptw:

I had a 1985 Bronco ll with 2.8 V6 and sold it in 1996 for $1500 with 225,000 miles. Same engine, one new trans (the French built trans was fragile) and main seal started leaking at about 185,000 miles and did good job of slinging oil onto tailgate at times. Engine started burning oil at about 205,000 miles, and new owner after buying it from me put new engine in it and drove it another 10 years. So I certainly got my money's worth out of that vehicle. It spend a lot of time in Norhern MI with heavy snow from October to April. Only got stuck once in it up North and never down here. Sorry to hear you had nothing but problems with your 2.9L V6. Only other problem I had with truck is those big side folding mirrors rusted badly at connection points to both doors. Otherwise, I loved that Bronco despite the lack of power up hills and so so fuel mileage.

The Escape is doing so poorly it is good to see that they are going to completely change it's design and ensure it blends in well with every other small CUV on the market. That's progress for ya! :hysterical:

The Flex and MKT are doing so well it is great to see them investing money into giving these products a refresh! IT SURE IS! That will be money well spent!!! IT SURE WILL BE!

• Like 1

I just you didn't catch the sacasm in my post.

You're right, I didn't, but you seem to be pretty upset with the Escape changes, so I thought you were serious. My apologies.

But honestly what is the point of having the Flex at this point? Add a higher trim Explorer with an Eco-Boost option if you feel that you need to reach customers even higher and (or) add a Lincoln version as well. Designing and marketing 2 vehicle lines that cater to the same if not almost the same customers makes no sense. The market has spoken and what they want is Explorer... Not Flex.

Different strokes for different folks. Some people prefer the polarizing looks of the Flex. The Flex was selling well on the West Coast, helping to bring in more customers to the Ford brand. If the Flex is continuing to do that, I don't have a problem with it. Honestly, I don't think the Flex and Explorer are really competitors to each other any more than the Flex and Edge are competitors. They are both S©UVs catering to a similar market with different tastes.

Edited by fordmantpw