Fields: Ford to Launch New Vehicles in '07

It could be any of the things you suggest, but it could also be an indication that Ford sold more Sport Tracs than they hinted at. Ford's only public comment about the ST is that 'about 5,000' Sport Tracs are sold every month.

Richard, true the SportTrac being out of the mix does make a difference. I would also say the Freestyle takes a chunk of Explorer sales. I am sure no one except Ford knows, but I would imagine that the Explorer is probably the Number 1 trade in on Freestyles. That is a good thing however, since there are a lot of families that need the room of the Explorer, but don't need it's towing capacity or the ability to drive off the road to a remote campsite. The Explorer is a much more masculine vehicle, but I think we are starting to move out of the time where you wanted everyone to know you were "a man" by the vehicle you drove. Now in my case, as a single 30 year old male who is into snowmobiles, atv's, fishing, hunting, driving the trails and pastures around the farm, etc. the Explorer is still very attractive, but to many families, the Freestyle is a better alternative.

With that said about CUV's...I do need to comment on the Mazda CX-7. My buddy and I checked one out last weekend. That vehicle is BEAUTIFUL. It can compete with vehicles costing thousands more from Lexus, Mercedes, and Infinity. If Ford can do with the Edge and Mk X, what Mazda did with the CX-7 it will be on the top of it's class. I know the CX-7 is a different chassis, but the Mazda folks did one heck of an engineering job on that one. Maybe Ford should be recruiting more talent from Mazda to bring to North America.

Last, Richard, there are a lot of doubtors on here, but I think you are right, I do believe the Edge will be a hit. I think it is exactly what the market needs right now. SUV capability yet much improved fuel economy. There are very few similar CUV's out there. Most CUV's have either taken the SUV model...Honda Pilot, Ford Escape, etc. or the wagon model, Chrysler Pacifica, Ford Freestyle, etc. This one goes right up the middle...should be interesting.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My quick take on this is that the Explorer redesign missed the boat on a few items. It doesn't look different enough to make the must haves upgrade. It doesn't improve the fuel economy numbers enough to assist it in a gas price sensitive market. They made some poor interior decisions as well, especially with the door handle redesign being done.