Are Ford Employees Really Ford Enthusiast?

It appears that many of the Ford employees only post on BON about work or contract issues.

I wonder... are they working at Ford just for a paycheck?

It seems that most of the people here that doesn't work for Ford are more enthusiastic about Ford's products (and cars in general) then many of the employees..:confused:

• Like 1

It appears that many of the Ford employees only post on BON about work or contract issues.

It seems that most of the people here that doesn't work for Ford are more enthusiastic about Ford's products (and cars in general) then many of the employees..:confused:

I have several Ford employees as very good friend. They only browse the BON. They just can't involve too deep in any topic. They don't want to be fired just because they said something inappropriate. I remember this summer, a Chrysler employee posted something inappropriate in facebook, then he was fired.

• Like 3

I'd say the vast majority of people work at a job for a paycheck..not because they are enthusiastic about it.

Its like saying if you like military things, you should join the military because your enthusiast of it....

Another point is hobbies, some hobbies you can make money from, but once you start doing it for that that, you lose the enjoyment of it because its a job.

Not to mention what weiweishen stated...you have to be careful what you say online...

Doesn't surprise me at all. I'd actually expect most employees of the company to be ambivalent about Ford's products and cars in general; of this group a significant proportion (particularly employees covered by collective bargaining agreements) are likely to be unenthusiastic about Ford and its products.

I'd say the vast majority of people work at a job for a paycheck..not because they are enthusiastic about it.

Its like saying if you like military things, you should join the military because your enthusiast of it....

Another point is hobbies, some hobbies you can make money from, but once you start doing it for that that, you lose the enjoyment of it because its a job.

Not to mention what weiweishen stated...you have to be careful what you say online...

banana%20piano.gif

It will be 30 years in May with the USAF.:woot:

See.. I am enthusiastic about my employer and job..:work:

Anyway... I don't understand why people work at a place they are not excited about.

Sound like a dark and depressing existence otherwise.:worm:

Doesn't surprise me at all. I'd actually expect most employees of the company to be ambivalent about Ford's products and cars in general; of this group a significant proportion (particularly employees covered by collective bargaining agreements) are likely to be unenthusiastic about Ford and its products.

I can't speak much for the hourly workers, but I know quite a few salaried and more retiree salaried and many of them are Ford enthusiats and wear the Ford logo on their sleeves. For example, I was just by Dunham Garage which is owned by Jim Dunham, Senior Tech Engineer for Ford Motor. He spearheaded the team that restored a GT 40 that won LeMans and is now in museum. Right now he is building a Ford GT40 from scratch and a Model T from scratch. Doing all the carriage body himself and already has chassis together. He has full garage with paint room, engine room, and Bridgeport for fabricating parts. Also a Porsche fanatic with pristine 911 from the 70's and building a 550 Spyder like the one that James Dean drove. Nice knowing that a guy with that kind of skill works for Ford. His garage is shown and written about in book, "Motor City Garages." I also go to events where I see lots of Ford and ex Ford employees walking around in shirts with Ford logo on them. Lots of shirts with Ford Racing on them also. So I would say there are lots of Ford employees who take pride in this company and know how special it is to have Ford so prominent in Metro Detroit life in so many ways. Lots of Ford fan boys out this way along of course with Chevy and Dodge fan boys. And of course it's OK to love more than one brand like Ford and Porsche or Ford and BMW or whatever. The most interesting racing series out there is ALMS GT class with Porsche/BMW/Corvette doing fierce battle with largely stock cars in some ways at least. Better even that TransAm series back in 70's between Parnelli Jone's Mustang and Mark Donahue's Camaro. Bergermeister and Patrick Long driving for Porsche are fabulous race drivers of highest order.

Anyway... I don't understand why people work at a place they are not excited about.

Eh, I can't say I'm excited about my job. I don't dislike it either. But I can think of plenty of other things I'd rather be doing if I didn't need the coin.

banana%20piano.gif

It will be 30 years in May with the USAF.:woot:

Crap, ya got me by 2 years! LOL!

Love the army, but after being posted here I HATE THE FUCKING NAVY!!!!! :angry2:

(but I'm not bitter hehehe)

That said, I'm not into hunting (what kind of sport is that? they can't shoot back)

I'm not into weapons, not into wearing camo clothes when I'm off duty and I don't camp..except at the racetrack.(and THAT will switch if I get the slide in camper I'm looking at)

So while I am IN the military, I guess I'm not a military "enthusiest" like some are. Some guys drive old cammed up army jeeps and go on soldier of fortune forums (I assume there are some somewhere) but I'm a dragracer.

In my yearbook in highschool I put down "future plans" to "be a Ford engineer" or something along those lines. :shift:

Thank you for your service, I did 4 years active duty in the Army and another 4 in National Guard myself...never really cared for the lifestyle.

However, I've been a DOD ID card holder since then besides for one year...because I'm Contractor.

I like what I do, but getting excited about work isn't on the list...there are far more other things I'd like to be doing instead of working, but hey the mortgage and bills need to be paid for :)

I know several engineers who are very enthusiastic Ford fans. For some, it was their dream to work for Ford.

Most of the people I know in engineering are Ford fans -- and most love cars in general, when you drive by the engineering buildings you do see a lot of The Sport VW's and BMW's in the parking lot, but most are Fords. For a lot of hourly guys I think its a Job, some do love Ford, but for a lot it pays the bills. I know a finance guy at Ford Credit too, he has a... mid 90's Toyota Camry.

Eh, I can't say I'm excited about my job. I don't dislike it either. But I can think of plenty of other things I'd rather be doing if I didn't need the coin.

I feel the same way about my job. For the most part, I'm just here to do the best job I can do and collect a paycheck. If I could find something I like better for the similar pay, I would be gone. But, after 17 years, I think I'm stuck here (damn family business).

Sometimes its a challenge being a Ford fan and fixing them everyday. At least I know which products to stay away from.

Also note my current vehicle. I think that should say something about its reliability.

Its hard for me to get around to fixing my own cars. Just ask my wife about her '03 Escape.

There's also a '65 Mustang I need to get around to. I've had it for 16 years now, even took it to all my proms. Its been in a barn for the last 10 years.

Making your hobby a career sounds great on paper...

Sometimes its a challenge being a Ford fan and fixing them everyday. At least I know which products to stay away from.

Also note my current vehicle. I think that should say something about its reliability.

Its hard for me to get around to fixing my own cars. Just ask my wife about her '03 Escape.

There's also a '65 Mustang I need to get around to. I've had it for 16 years now, even took it to all my proms. Its been in a barn for the last 10 years.

Making your hobby a career sounds great on paper...

Which products would you stay away from, .......if you can answer that? Most of the new cars seem very good,

I wonder how much of an Ipad enthusiast those the workers at Foxconn are considering they cannot even afford an Ipad.

I guess they love the Ipad so much they killed themselves.

Everyone works for a paycheck, everyone does. you cannot compare the military to the civilian world. You can't expect loyalty from worker when the company is not loyal to them.

This is an adversarial relationship. it always has been this way. workers want to maximize their earning the companies want to maximize their earning too.

You operate in a completely different world from the rest of us, most of us work thanklessly, in this economy usually we are working harder and longer than we were 5 years ago for the same amount of money. While the companies we work for have become profitable they have not shared this wealth with their worker.

the workers approved the contract nearly 2 to 1, the plants that voted no were plants that had a secure product and that were going to increase thier workforce, effectively reducing the power for he existing Workers in some cases changing senority, that could force some exsiting worker to a different shift or a different job. in additon it would eliminat overtime for some plants effectively reducing existing worker pay.

If you felt this contract would reduce your pay and make your job harder, how likely would you be to vote yes on this contract?

• Like 2

I wonder how much of an Ipad enthusiast those the workers at Foxconn are considering they cannot even afford an Ipad.

Everyone works for a paycheck, everyone does. you cannot compare the military to the civilian world. You can't expect loyalty from worker when the company is not loyal to them.

This is an adversarial relationship. it always has been this way. workers want to maximize their earning the companies want to maximize their earning too.

You operate in a completely different world from the rest of us, most of us work thanklessly, in this economy usually we are working harder and longer than we were 5 years ago for the same amount of money. While the companies we work for have become profitable they have not shared this wealth with their worker.

the workers approved the contract nearly 2 to 1, the plants that voted no were plants that had a secure product and that were going to increase thier workforce, effectively reducing the power for he existing Workers in some cases changing senority, that could force some exsiting worker to a different shift or a different job. in additon it would eliminat overtime for some plants effectively reducing existing worker pay.

If you felt this contract would reduce your pay and make your job harder, how likely would you be to vote yes on this contract?

i don't think this was really a contract topic.

• Like 1

Few people really like their job..... That is why they have to pay you to do it!!!

The trick is to not hate your job.....

My company was a supplier to the Ford plant in Atlanta before it was shut down. I would say that less than 1/2 of the cars in the employee parking lot were Fords. It did shocked me to see so many import brands in the lot...

I should note that up until the Ford and GM plants closed here in Atlanta, we were required to purchase a Ford,GM or Chrysler brand in order to stay on our company auto plan. I was sad to see management relax that requirement when the plants closed...( Interestingly most still buy US brands )

Most of the people I know in engineering are Ford fans -- and most love cars in general, when you drive by the engineering buildings you do see a lot of The Sport VW's and BMW's in the parking lot, but most are Fords. For a lot of hourly guys I think its a Job, some do love Ford, but for a lot it pays the bills. I know a finance guy at Ford Credit too, he has a... mid 90's Toyota Camry.

Ford credit actually hires a lot of contract. If you go to itech building near Ford road, you will be surprised to see so many Toyota, Honda, Kia and whatever cars and vans. They belong to those Indian contract IT people.

Edited by weiweishen
  • Like 2

You're the one operating in a completely different world. In the real world, our employers offer us employment and we voluntarily accept. They can reduce our pay and benefits and bonuses or lay us off at will. But they don't unless they're forced to because they know if they don't treat us reasonably well we can go find another employer who will.

The companies aren't required to share any of their wealth with the employees. Some choose to do so as part of the overall compensation but it's a zero-sum game. If you want to share in a company's profits go start your own business or become a shareholder. Otherwise we're all just hired laborers working for someone else and that's just how it works. Get over it.

• Like 4

If I don't feel I am fairly compensated for my work, then I will go elsewhere. Everyone has that option. If you don't, then you must be fairly compensated for your work. Honestly, I hope the company I work for rakes in billions, because if they do, then chances are, I will still have a job down the road (assuming they don't blow the billions).

Story for you...the company I work for has a profit-sharing bonus. That bonus applies only to those who are not in a separate bonus program (sales bonuses, etc.). Being a consultant, I am eligible for an overtime bonus. An overtime bonus is where you get paid for your overtime IF you have a utilization rate (number of hours billed divided by number of hours possible) of > 75%. We don't just automatically get paid for our OT if we work it, even though the company is billing for our time. So, since I am eligible for the "OT" or "Utilization" bonus, I was not eligible for the profit sharing bonus. Does it suck? Yep, sure does. Would I strike if a contract came up and they didn't change that? No, because it would be cutting off my nose to spite my face. Am I pissed about it and go badmouthing the company? No, because I want the company to succeed and I want to remain gainfully employed. Badmouthing the company on internet forums is working to destroy the business, like it or not. I didn't agree to a bonus when I started working for the company, I agreed to a salary. And if I don't like it, I'm free to go elsewhere, which for me, is not an option, because the other jobs in the area pay 30% less than I make because I work from home and my company is actually located in a larger city. (I have the best of both worlds...live in the country and get city pay...I know I am very fortunate).

I love my job, and I love what I do, but I also work for a paycheck. If I didn't need the paycheck, I would quit work and spend more time with my kids, then spend my time developing that service-oriented software I've been dreaming about for years just because I think it would be fun. Not to mention a lot of travel thrown in.

You're the one operating in a completely different world. In the real world, our employers offer us employment and we voluntarily accept. They can reduce our pay and benefits and bonuses or lay us off at will. But they don't unless they're forced to because they know if they don't treat us reasonably well we can go find another employer who will.

The companies aren't required to share any of their wealth with the employees. Some choose to do so as part of the overall compensation but it's a zero-sum game. If you want to share in a company's profits go start your own business or become a shareholder. Otherwise we're all just hired laborers working for someone else and that's just how it works. Get over it.

Well said! I choose to work for the company I work for, as does everyone else in the real world. If that choice is because you can't find better pay elsewhere, then, well, sounds like you are doing pretty damn well.

Which products would you stay away from, .......if you can answer that? Most of the new cars seem very good,

That used to be pretty easy. The '00 to '07 Tauruses were garbage. So many problems with the 5.4 3v (I could give you a pretty big list of common problems, mostly '04-'06). Pre '08 Focus. The '08 and up Focus is actually a very reliable car. Anything with an Explorer badge. 6.0 powerstroke. '08 Escapes.

Now I tell people to stay away from 6F35 trannies and MFT. Lots of complaints about shift quality in the new torqshift but no repairs yet. The only warranty work I do anymore, other than 6.4 stuff, is MFT. Oh yeah, serviceability on the rear suspension on any Edge is kind of a pain in the neck. That was going to be wifey's next ride. Not sure anymore. Remember, I don't like to work hard on my own stuff.

Too early to tell on the new Focus and Explorer. The 6.7 was a great launch. Just a couple little things. Its on my highly recommended list.

• Like 2

whilst not direct employees of FoMoCo, 90% of dealership employees are driving fords, I deviated once, but only because I wanted a manual transmission coupe with some ooomph, and at the time the only vehicle Ford offered was the SVT Focus...ended up with the Cooper. Well now Im done with imports...fun car, but expensive to maintain and REPAIR......now we have TWO Fiestas in the driveway....not sure whats next...Im torn betweenanother performance compact ( ST ) or an MV Agusta f4...........

• Like 1

I can't speak much for the hourly workers, but I know quite a few salaried and more retiree salaried and many of them are Ford enthusiats and wear the Ford logo on their sleeves. For example, I was just by Dunham Garage which is owned by Jim Dunham, Senior Tech Engineer for Ford Motor. He spearheaded the team that restored a GT 40 that won LeMans and is now in museum. Right now he is building a Ford GT40 from scratch and a Model T from scratch. Doing all the carriage body himself and already has chassis together. He has full garage with paint room, engine room, and Bridgeport for fabricating parts. Also a Porsche fanatic with pristine 911 from the 70's and building a 550 Spyder like the one that James Dean drove. Nice knowing that a guy with that kind of skill works for Ford. His garage is shown and written about in book, "Motor City Garages." I also go to events where I see lots of Ford and ex Ford employees walking around in shirts with Ford logo on them. Lots of shirts with Ford Racing on them also. So I would say there are lots of Ford employees who take pride in this company and know how special it is to have Ford so prominent in Metro Detroit life in so many ways. Lots of Ford fan boys out this way along of course with Chevy and Dodge fan boys. And of course it's OK to love more than one brand like Ford and Porsche or Ford and BMW or whatever. The most interesting racing series out there is ALMS GT class with Porsche/BMW/Corvette doing fierce battle with largely stock cars in some ways at least. Better even that TransAm series back in 70's between Parnelli Jone's Mustang and Mark Donahue's Camaro. Bergermeister and Patrick Long driving for Porsche are fabulous race drivers of highest order.

This is because white collar workers are more intelligent than the blue collar workers on the line. The majority of line workers are not smart enough to know this is where they get their paycheck and that being loyal is job security. This can be attributed to the intellect of bargaining employees and the idea that everyone owes them something. When there are no more factories in the US they will blame FORD because they are to dim-witted to see what being non loyal causes in the long run. More than 30 years ago I could not believe the parking lots of all three auto factories and the amount of foreign autos parked there. This is 30 years later and now this un-loyalty is biting them in the butts and they still don’t get it. This last strike proves this even more. I’m loyal to Ford and will be until my last breath.

Edited by dennisw
  • Like 2