Are Ford Employees Really Ford Enthusiast?

But since she chooses to live within those means and even you wouldn't call her pension welfare (I hope), since she likely has no viable means to evacuate any natural disaster, would you call her out for becoming dependent on the government when she finds herself metaphorically "on a rooftop"? (Forget for the moment she's a relative of your wife). While I'd agree the majority of the "rooftoppers" were probably on some form of government provided, but non-pension (non-entitilement) assistance, you can't possibly know. All you assumed was they weren't responsible enough to evacuate because they became dependent on the government.

She has a car and is 100% mobile and travels from time to time so that's not a problem. That's also why there is no doubt that she's able to work.

And yes - a widow's pension from the military is just as much welfare as anything else, except it's permanent not temporary. She's been on it for at least 30 years (she's only in her 60's).

Had the pension not been available or only available for a short time she would have had a job all these years making way more than what she gets for the pension. But it's easier to just sit on her ass at home and collect the check. This isn't a retirement pension that her husband qualified for - this is strictly welfare designed to insure widows have some minimum income. And once again I'm ok with that for people who are truly incapable of helping themselves.