MKT Customization

GT_IE

Here are a series of modifications I have made so far to my 2010 Lincoln MKT.

It started with debadging it. I peeled off the Dealer stickers with a fingernail. Then I used dental floss to "saw" off the chrome lettering. Goo Gone handled the remnants of the double-sided tape. Then a paint cleaner (meguiars deep crystal cleaner) followed by meguiars ultimate polish and meguiars nxt 2.0 wax. Good as new...

DSC_0028copy.jpg

Next up came interior Audio work. I already had a leftover JLAudio Power Wedge sub woofer and an Alpine amp. So, I had a speaker terminal port added in the rear

Speaker_Terminal_Cup.jpg

and put the amp under the driver's seat

Amp.jpg

It ties into the factory radio through a line output converter. The knob for that let's me turn up the sub independant of the radio controls. You can just make it out on the right of the picture. blends in very well.

Sub_Control_Knob.jpg

Now I can put the sub in when I want it, and take it out if I need the space...

SubWoofer.jpg

Back to the rear, I smoked the taillights with VHT nightshades , and later the lower reflectors (no good pic of them). I blacked out the chrome with plasti-dip. I have since removed the plasti dip from the Lincoln emblem, but left it on the horizontal strips...

DSC_0010.jpg

and here's how it looks in the daylight with lights off, tail lights, and brake lights.

Nite_Shades-1.jpg

Edited by GT_IE

I replaced the front seat, passenger headrest with a headrest from a 2008 Ford Taurus X. It comes in the same grey stone material. The new 2010 headrest caused serious comfort issues for my wife. In the picture below, I photoshopped together 3 pics of my front seat with 3 different headrests. The 2010 MKT protrudes the farthest forward, I tried a 2011 MKT out because they changed it, and finally the Taurus X which is the furthest back...

Headrest_Overlaycopy.jpg

The color of the taurus looks different because of the lighting in the picture, but it is an exact match.

Edited by GT_IE

I replaced the front seat, passenger headrest with a headrest from a 2008 Ford Taurus X. It comes in the same grey stone material. The new 2010 headrest caused serious comfort issues for my wife. In the picture below, I photoshopped together 3 pics of my front seat with 3 different headrests. The 2010 MKT protrudes the farthest forward, I tried a 2011 MKT out because they changed it, and finally the Taurus X which is the furthest back...

Headrest_Overlaycopy.jpg

The color of the taurus looks different because of the lighting in the picture, but it is an exact match.

To be at least somewhat fair to the designers of said headrests, the more forward-leaning ones seen in newer MY vehicles are intended to reduce whiplash in rear end collisions. Crash data seems to show they are effective. :shrug: Food for thought...

Next was more work on the audio/navigation. I added components from PAC Audio. First, the navigation & camera unlock. This unit allows you to enter addresses into the navigation while the vehicle is in motion, and also to view the feed from the backup camera.

At the same time, I added a PAC Audio media gateway and HD Radio receiver. The media gateway is only need to pass the HD signal through, but it also has an IPOD input, so I can connect an IPOD through USB in the center console, or through the media gateway in the glove compartment, or both.

No pics of these, it is all behind the dash. All controls are through OEM steering wheel, touchscreen and radio buttons.

To be at least somewhat fair to the designers of said headrests, the more forward-leaning ones seen in newer MY vehicles are intended to reduce whiplash in rear end collisions. Crash data seems to show they are effective. :shrug: Food for thought...

Yes, they absolutely are for that. They couldn't get the 5 star safety rating without them because of the new standards and you'll begin seeing headrest changes in all cars. They could have gone with a more expensive solution where the headrest is further back then comes forward upon impact. the passive solution is much cheaper.

It was a major comfort issue for my wife though. Her posture simply didn't work with the new design. Her head naturally rests so far back that the new one should still help somewhat.

Yes, they absolutely are for that. They couldn't get the 5 star safety rating without them because of the new standards and you'll begin seeing headrest changes in all cars. They could have gone with a more expensive solution where the headrest is further back then comes forward upon impact. the passive solution is much cheaper.

It was a major comfort issue for my wife though. Her posture simply didn't work with the new design. Her head naturally rests so far back that the new one should still help somewhat.

Just so long as you know. ;)

Cool idea with the amp and sub. I'm betting there aren't many MKT's with subs in them! :)

Thanks. I bet not, at least not with aftermarket. The THX 5.1 comes OEM with a 10" sub, but it is pretty weak. This one gets the rear view mirror vibrating. I've got Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on my IPAD. I was driving the kids on a couple hour trip, so I hooked up the IPAD via bluetooth, they pulled up the shades, and I cranked it up. Worked great. And I've got a playlist on my ipod that it is great for too.

I did red/black/white on my Cobra's front calipers. Pleased with how they turned out. Black seems to be more fitting the overall look of your MKT though.

Yeah, see, you have the wheels for it. There are so many spokes in my wheel it's pretty much a waste, but it only cost about $6 and it gave me a chance to get the wheels off for a good, thorough cleaning & wax plus show the kids how easy it is to change pads.

Edited by GT_IE

• 5 years later...

Oh yeah, bought it new 2010, has about 100,000 miles. One tree branch fell and dented the front fender. Small problem with the wire harness for the passenger rear DVD player always being on... it's carried a couple of tons of lumber and bricks, and towed many many trailers.

My current problems are one headlight not working and always fill with condensation, and rear backup light not working and fills with moisture.

Runs like a clock... does 100mph in a snap with very positive steering.

Waiting for the Ranger, will probably trade it in then.

• Like 1