Occupy Wall Street

The OWS protesters are like vampires: they have no reflection in the mirror of society. Once people see what the people who really believe in anti-capitalism look like, they figure out that they don't want any part of that idiocy. Some times it takes a tug from the left to make the car veer to the right. The smartest thing the Republicans can do right now is to go down to OWS and hand out a bunch of Obama banners. Party ON!

• Like 3

Hey can i know what company you work for so i can not buy anything ever from it again?

and they only got those wages because the foreign companies were scared of the shops unionizing. Company officals from Toyota and Honda have come out directly and said that.

So you keep your delusions of altruism in the fantasy world you live in, the rest of us know better.

Nice quote, and with no link or proof to back it up. What next? Santa Claus is real? In truth I couldn't care less how the non-union shops arrived at their decided payscale. At least they don't support some nihilistic movement that resulted in violence in our streets, the open call for the overthrow of capitalism and the raping of women. You can't ever justify that to me. Its vile and disgusting.

• Like 6

EU are going to clamp down excessive pay of bosses who should lead by example in the last 30 years the take home pay of average Joe worker has increased about 300% whilst the average pay of bosses has increased 5,000% in real times, no wonder they don't bother going out on strike over it.

DAILY MAIL

By the end of March this year, the total had risen to a staggering 492 per cent of GDP, or almost five times the value of everything Britain produces in a single year. That compares with 481 per cent at the end of 2008. Despite all the austrity & cutbacks that are only just starting to kick as everybody only now start gets put on the dole here.

To add the gloom, a report from the Resolution Foundation, a think tank, said even if the economy recovers, take-home pay could be no higher in 2020 than in 2001 for the British worker (so we won't be buying to many expensive Nissan Leaf electric cars with all these other EU no hopers to bail out & keeping banks & the bankers in big bonuses to what they are accustomed to at the British taxpayers expence, as everybody else pays for it with the loss of their jobs and services in the public sector..

Read more: http://www.thisismon...l#ixzz1eXRDJxYA

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

But the same argument is always used against universal health care: if you don't have visibility of what you're paying - "skin in the game" you're liable to spend more.

Unfortunately, given the events since 2008, those arguments seem to be more valid. I believe that a lot of us would have less qualms about a universal program if it weren't constantly being pitched as "free health care" (it isn't - someone has to pay for it) or as some sort of right.

The development of CDS and other risk-obfuscating instruments certainly provided cover for the bad loans that were extended - enabling behavior. In fact CDSs aren't even required to be tied to any particular asset. They were expressly a way for financial institutions to get their own skin out of the game. We can argue about whose hand was forced by whom, but let's not deny the effects of the proliferation of essentially worthless - not only worthless, but actively destructive - financial instruments in the whole mess. At each level, they changed hands with a commission attached, until finally all those bad mortgages were leveraged out something like 30:1 in the secondary markets. So for every $1B of bad mortgages, you had $30B of bad debt. The secondary (and tertiary, and quaternary, etc. ) markets first enabled the weakness to develop, then magnified its effects.

Why did the bad loans exist in the first place? Because of government pressure to lower lending standards and extend credit to more individuals. It was actions by the federal government - not deregulation (which, aside from Gramm Leach Bliley Act, did not exist, and that act had nothing to do with the present crisis) - that got the whole ball rolling in the first place.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 2

and they only got those wages because the foreign companies were scared of the shops unionizing.

The union has made no headway because it still operates under the old Henry Ford I system, which viewed the line worker as little more than a machine that was there to work and not offer any opinions or feedback.

The Toyota Lean Production system views the worker as a good source of ideas on how to improve the process and, ultimately, the product. In this environment, there is simply less need for a union, as the adversarial system under which the UAW has grown (and which it still promotes - otherwise, why have a union?) does not encourage an "us-versus-them" mentality.

A company expecting workers to suggest ways of improving the process and take an active role in the company's success knows that it isn't going to get that type of employee by paying the minimum wage. The transplant operations pay those wages because they believe the work is worth that rate of pay, and they want to attract and keep the type of people who will thrive in that environment.

So far, Ford, among the domestics, has done the best job of adapting the Toyota Lean Production system to its plants.

Another factor is that the Japanese aren't dumb enough to use a Harry Bennett-type figure to keep the union out of their plants. They have learned from the mistakes of the past.

Company officals from Toyota and Honda have come out directly and said that.

I'm curious - do you have a link? Japanese officials tend to be very circumspect on matters such as this.

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 4

It is interesting reading through these posts; it certainly shows how emotional the topic of OWS has become. While I certainly don't side with OWS because of my political beliefs, I do believe that a constructive dialogue about moving the economy forward is needed.

Unfortunately, I believe that the various movements have become lightening rods for extremism. This seems so counter-productive. Given today's politically charged environment it is hard to envision any type of constructive dialogue coming from the movement.

I would argue that the movement (as well as the Tea Party) is a result of the extreme dissatisfaction with the current political system and our economy. Fixing either isn't going to happen quickly and I predict even greater polarization in the coming years--especially if the economy turns south again.

And while the OWS movement--by design--does not have an organized leadership, I do hope that de facto leadership evolves that can begin to engage our elected officials and business leadership.

• Like 3

Just wondering how some of you supporters would answer some of these questions.

Ending Income Inequality?

Krugman laments in his Nov. 3 New York Times column “Oligarchy, American Style," “We have a society in which money is increasingly concentrated in the hands of a few people, and in which that concentration of income and wealth threatens to make us a democracy in name only.” I’d ask Krugman this question: Who’s putting all the money in the hands of the few, and what do you think ought to be done to stop millions, perhaps billions, of people from using their money in ways that lead to high income and wealth concentration? In other words, I’d like Krugman to tell us what should be done to stop the millions of children who make Joanne Rowling rich, the millions who fork over their money to the benefit of LeBron James, and the hundreds of millions of people who shop at Wal-Mart.
  • Like 1

One item that is overlooked about the wealthy is how much money they donate to nonprofits.

The Arts, hospital wings, risky R&D, extreme world poverty, animal care are a few examples that have benefited from the wealthy.... if it spikes their interest.

Our local hospital has a huge Pat Sajak Pavillion. :)

Dad goes all OWS on us:

Hey, jerkoff

You still haven't told me where you work so i can never purchase anything from there again.

Way to come all hard like the usual internet tough guy. Your probably some little punk scared to walk the streets but here your a giant, a regular Conan the internet barbarian huh?

Any chance he will get the irony of this approach?

• Like 4

One item that is overlooked about the wealthy is how much money they donate to nonprofits.

The Arts, hospital wings, risky R&D, extreme world poverty, animal care are a few examples that have benefited from the wealthy.... if it spikes their interest.

Golleee!!! TRICKLE DOWN EXISTS!!!! :happy feet: :happy feet: :happy feet:

Everyone should realize that after 3yrs of Obama, nothing is better. He is the modern day Jimmy Carter; and we all know how is re-election bid went.

What do they have in common, lets see-------->

1. Neither Jimmy nor Barack can seem to get the private sector moving because of their liberal policies.

2. Both of them were pretty nice guys, but incompetent.

3. Both of the were democrats with a democratic congress, but somehow tried to blame the republicans, lol.

4. In history, both of them are gonna look the same as a republican is swept in again, and fixes it.

5. Just like Carter, Obama will be blamed for the next 20 year demise of the democrats to follow, but this time around with the advent of the internet that Reagan Democrats did not have at the time but do now, the demise of liberals could become a generation unless the republicans do something stupid.......which for a politician is always extremely possible; just ask Obamas friend, Rod (Blago) Blagoeovich........or ask Holder who will no doubt be forced to resign early next year in disgrace now that those e-mails have been unearthed-)

I expect to hear before the election next year, phrases from long past in our media; "Mr Obama, what did you know, and when did you know it!"

Like shooting OWS.......errr I mean turkeys in a barrel, and they have no escape at all-)

• Like 2