Ford RWD sedans in 2008

Ford Readies Luxury Addition To Falcon Range

Glenn Butler

14 July 2006

www.drive.com.au

Ford Australia will add a more luxurious model to the Falcon range within the next two years.

Ford puts spotlight on more luxurious model above Fairmont Ghia (pictured).

Ford Australia may replace its underperforming long-wheelbase (LWB) Fairlane and LTD models with a more luxurious short-wheelbase sedan sitting above the Fairmont Ghia.

Ford Australia boss Tom Gorman exclusively told drive.com.au that plans are already in place to bolster the top of the Falcon range when the next generation is released, possibly in 2008.

"One of our challenges with [the long wheelbase models] is that they are not differentiated enough from the short wheelbase Falcons. We do believe there might be more opportunity for us in short wheelbase.

"We think that a more luxurious short wheelbase [Falcon]... We have some plans for next generation Falcon in place already that will get tweaked based on what we see in Territory Turbo and Turbo Ghia."

Gorman admitted that while it's too early to gather market intelligence on the success of the Territory Turbo and its more expensive Territory Ghia Turbo twin, he believes what Ford does learn can be successfully applied to future Falcons.

"They have only just launched ... I think we will be a lot smarter a few months down the road. By going more in the direction of luxury, particularly with the Territory Ghia, we can see where the price points are and how much headroom we have with that brand. And I absolutely think that what we learn can extend to Falcon. No question about it."

It's not known what Ford would call this new model, or exactly what equipment it would add to the Fairmont Ghia's already extensive list. Then there's the question of engine.

"It's hard to say because the total demand for that end [of the market] is so small. [Even when] we have a good month we only sell 150 [Fairlanes and LTDs]."

Gorman says Ford is seeing a shift to turbocharged six-cylinder engines away from the traditional V8 as a result of climbing petrol prices, "particularly in the last three or four months". So, could this new model be powered by Ford's turbo six?

"That'd be very hard for us to justify the engineering expense to drop it in there. We don't really see it as a priority."

Gorman admits a decision on the future of the LWB models has not been taken by Ford, but that the company is monitoring the situation daily. One option for Ford is to add a short wheelbase luxury model above the $58,000 mark of the Fairmont Ghia V8, and whittle the two-model LWB range to one.

But it would seem the only real hope the Fairlane and LTD have for long term survival is beyond Australian shores.

"We want to be an exporter ... I think that now is a very good time for us to do that. We have really good government support, we have capacity to be an exporter to some degree – I'm talking 15,000 to 30,000, not 100,000. And it's at a time where the US is looking and where it's going with its large rear wheel drive platform."

Ford North America announced plans in January this year to cut production at the St Thomas plant in Ontario, which builds the Ford Crown Victoria and its Mercury twin, the Grand Marquis – both large rear wheel drive sedans.

"Given the challenges being faced in the US it's a great time to bring our resources and technologies even closer so we can really leverage – so that two and two is five, instead of both of us going off and doing separate vehicles.

But North America is not the only option, says Gorman.

"The obvious place is the Middle East because that's where Holden and Toyota both send their products. And if we compete successfully with them here, why not there?"

All that's missing is a timeframe, which Gorman eventually supplies.

"The next year or so is going to be very exciting."

14ford1M_m.jpg

Ford Fairmont Ghia

Source Drive.com.au

Igor

Edited by igor

Good news is, the new Falcon platform is being engineered for right and left have drive, and independent rear suspension. Can anyone say global rear wheel drive platform?

Not with this platform. It's just a revision from the previous generation, and I still say that although the front end changes will help, chances of production in NA are nill, and this generation of Falcon will not be the basis for a worldwide RWD platform.

FoA will have more export potential with LHD. In particular, there is a decent market for Panthers in the Middle East. Falcon could slip in when Panther disappears.

And, there could be some limited export capability to North America for a specialty RWD sedan, but I personally don't think Ford needs a 4-door GTO.

But spending the big bucks to facilitize a plant in North America to produce this platform is a non starter IMO.

By the way, I admire FoA's capabilities. And this article really brings the point home as to how strapped they are for investment dollars. They can't see their way through to spend the money to do a stretch of the Falcon to create a new Fairlane for their executive car market (this market is small).

In the long run, the Falcon is the Panther. These cars do not dominate the market as they once did. Volumes are declining; the plant fortunately is propped up by intelligently designed derivatives. But the Falcon is slipping below the economies of scale needed to continue profitable production for the long term. I'm guessing the plant is at about 100k per year. This might be the last major revision for the Falcon platform in Australia. If Ford wants to continue auto production in Australia, a more radical plan for the long term will be required. But it won't be this generation. And the volume situation is likely to more critical next time around.

I do not have a copy of the latest issue of MT in front of me. Maybe somebody else does and can check my memory. I read it yesterday when I was waiting for my dentist appointment. In the article, IIRC, is quoted a Ford employee confirming that the Falcon platform is being developed to be either right hand or left hand drive. There is only one reason they would be doing that. ;)

exporting to middles east .... really the sheer lack of volume mentioned in that article precludes this from being anything more than an niche/limited run model....

and importing from australia is simply not a good idea with the falling USD ...

if Ford gets serious about value ppriced RWD vehicle, it will be built here, not in AUS.

Igor

It's not that there is no market for a luxury car.. It's just that the Fairlane/LTD and Crown Vics have that old formal roofline look that dates back to a time long gone making them look like grandma cars. Luxury nowdays is defined by uplevel trim and content wrapped in an contemporary and interesting body style.

If Ford does do something like this, I sure as hell hope they dont copy the styling from the Australian products...they look like leftovers from the late 1980's. Not to say I dont like the way some products look, but they dont look like the evolved very far from the original Aero look that was started by the 1986 Taurus and Sierra.

"It's unclear how well a rear-whee-drive sedan would sell in America"

I find that to be a far more honest statement than "the RWD sedan has been staging a comeback" or "America has found a new love, the RWD sedan".

The RWD section of the sedan market is both small and specialized. It also has a real stigma due to the shoddy suspension designs and lack of traction control on 70s era cars.

I find that to be a far more honest statement than "the RWD sedan has been staging a comeback" or "America has found a new love, the RWD sedan".

The RWD section of the sedan market is both small and specialized. It also has a real stigma due to the shoddy suspension designs and lack of traction control on 70s era cars.

In the early '70s (with a few exceptions such as the Datsun 240Z) Japanese imports were also largely ignored and called "crapboxes" (the "nice" version of their nickname). Also the Mustang, probably Ford's most loved car, was not considered one of Ford's cooler vehicles thruout the '70s, most people still remember the Mustang II as an overglorified Pinto with weird body cladding and big decals.

Things change.......

In the early '70s (with a few exceptions such as the Datsun 240Z) Japanese imports were also largely ignored and called "crapboxes" (the "nice" version of their nickname). Also the Mustang, probably Ford's most loved car, was not considered one of Ford's cooler vehicles thruout the '70s, most people still remember the Mustang II as an overglorified Pinto with weird body cladding and big decals.

Things change.......

Look. You want to predict the future, that's fine. Just don't do it in a news article. The news isn't supposed to be about what some dolt thinks is going to happen. It's supposed to be what's happening right now.

Of course, I could also be a raving moron, and that last paragraph may be complete nonsense.

Edited by RichardJensen

Advice to Ford: If you want a RWD sedan for the North American market. design and build it here. Remember the Merkur? The Cadillac Caterra? The Pontiac GTO? The Mercury Capri Roadster? If people desire an imported RWD vehichle, they will buy a Jag, Volvo, Lexus, Infiniti, etc.

Edited by Footballfan

So, in Ford's infinite wisdom, they think it is better to spend the money to import an obsolete, smaller design then spending the money to update a proven platform with a proven customer base? Ooooh - a straight six - my Dad's 76 Maverick had that - maybe they should bring that back instead.

Another member has said it's because Ford is run by Euroweenies and Americans racked by liberal guilt, and since there is no Volvo or Mazda they can steal to base a weaker design on - I guess Austraila will have to do.

As a member of the Panther mafia, the only way they will get me out of a Panther is prying my cold, dead, hands off the wheel - albeit I'll have died enjoying the quiet, smooth, road-isolated body on frame inherent engineering traits, with smooth quiet v-8 satisfaction.

Edited by taxman100

"because Ford is run by Euroweenies and Americans racked by liberal guilt"

Well, those 'real American' conservatives in DC certainly don't give two shits about Ford and GM. "Build more relavent products" says King GW. In other words 'drop dead". And Cheney only cares about oil.

I don't see GW saying "buy a Crown Vic, I did". And Fox News B. O'Reilly loves the Prius, so much that he said 'let Toyota take over the car market" one time. In fact, I am surpirised that the so called "real Amurricuns' driving the tanks still get them, since they are made in "liberal" Canada, you know where 'anything goes'??

No way is the AUS Falcon coming here, it would be 'locked in' by now if coming in 2008. Also, the cost after shipping 4000 miles would be way more then most 'bue collar' RWD V8 fasn would pay.

Doesn't seem to be adding a lot to the cost of all the rice burners being shipped here from Japan and Korea. ;)

Pioneer, there is a very large difference in shipping from Japan and Australia. There is huge trade system and shipping infrastructure between Japan and the U.S., and cargo ships leave on a regular basis. Autos and auto parts are a big part of the shipping total. The ports are set up for "roll on roll off" system where cars are driven on the ships. Efficient robotic packing of containers with parts is also common.

The US trade with Australia is much more limited. Other than a leg o'lamb in your local grocery store, can you think of any other Aussie products you have run into lately?

That means that shipping complete vehicles from Australia is expensive. I don't have any data, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's twice as much.

The fact that Australia is not a large maket and lacks volume to get the lowest prices for components combined with the lack of efficient/cheap shipping to/from Australia also would inhibit the ability to put together a program that would share components.

More reasons why Falcon is not the RWD global platform and has an exceptionally low probability of ever appearing in the US.

I think reluctance to upgrade the CVs and GMs further revolves around the Police Interceptors. At the very least, what Ford probably needs to do is to consider a new transmission to back the 2v 4.6 to improve performance and fuel economy. I doubt Ford will stress out with the Charger new on the scene. Its mass desirability for police usage remains to be seen and you still have a lot of LEOs out there that like the Crown Vics. With gas prices on the march upward, the Hemi will be limited in appeal all but for the most serious needs for high speed pursuit. Crown Vic's greatest competitor is the 3.5L Charger and both are very comparable performance-wise with the Ford retaining more passenger and cargo volume, but losing some mileage to the V6 Charger. I think that while Ford will lose some market share, it will still remain the favored choice. With the 3v 4.6, Ford probably wouldn't have any problems keeping the Interceptors popular.

Perhaps what Ford should do is sell the Police Interceptor as a Mercury, eliminate the CV (front/rear clips, headlights, tailights, wheels, trim) and make both a Interceptor, Marauder for a sport model and the Grand Marquis as the top end. Have all three with the same engines and induction/ dual exhaust plumbing, transmissions and rear ends. Keep the interiors the same and allow for a softer, standard suspension, sport air suspension and the HD police suspension.

6If you moved the Panther to be solely under the Mercury brand, it removes the platform from Ford and Lincoln, allowing for marketing those brands without a 30+ year platform in the line-up and gives them a more modernized appearance. Traditional civilian buyers and fleet buyers still have the Panther to purchase; they just have to do so through Mercury. It also allows Ford to bring in the Falcon as a RWD alternative to sample the market without putting all their eggs in one basket.

So, in Ford's infinite wisdom, they think it is better to spend the money to import an obsolete, smaller design then spending the money to update a proven platform with a proven customer base? Ooooh - a straight six - my Dad's 76 Maverick had that - maybe they should bring that back instead.

Another member has said it's because Ford is run by Euroweenies and Americans racked by liberal guilt, and since there is no Volvo or Mazda they can steal to base a weaker design on - I guess Austraila will have to do.

As a member of the Panther mafia, the only way they will get me out of a Panther is prying my cold, dead, hands off the wheel - albeit I'll have died enjoying the quiet, smooth, road-isolated body on frame inherent engineering traits, with smooth quiet v-8 satisfaction.

I don't know about you, but thoose new Holdens are looking hot! And in a year or two from now they should be ready for exportation to the United States. I think if I save enough pennies there will DEFINITELY be a Statesman or Caprice in my driveway! My god! They may be a bit bland on the outside but V8, RWD, six speed auto, amazing interior! What more could you want?

Perhaps what Ford should do is sell the Police Interceptor as a Mercury, eliminate the CV (front/rear clips, headlights, tailights, wheels, trim) and make both a Interceptor, Marauder for a sport model and the Grand Marquis as the top end. Have all three with the same engines and induction/ dual exhaust plumbing, transmissions and rear ends. Keep the interiors the same and allow for a softer, standard suspension, sport air suspension and the HD police suspension.

I actually thought of the same thing earlier today. Just sell the Grand Marquis for civillian and make the Marauder the LSE with a limited slip diff. 300 hp, and a six speed auto.

Edited by StevenJ

The thing I don't get is why people are so anal about RWD. I went from a FWD small car to a Mustang then back to a small FWD car and then back to a Mustang again, and the last thing on my mind was what wheels it was driving. For the vast majority of people out there that actually buy cars, they could give less then two fucks which wheels its driving in the powertrain.