2006 Freestyle

We have a 2006 Freestyle with an extended warranty that is about up. The car is in great shape and my wife loves it.

We are at 95,000 miles or so and the warranty is good till about 98,000.

Should I go for another extended one?

At fordwarrantys.com I can get the Basecare warranty for $2075 or the PowertrainCare for $1675 (I can get addtional $190 off if I sign up before endo of month). This would be for additional 48,000 miles - putting us close to 150k. The two higher grade warranty's are not available at this mileage. We haven't used much on our present extended warranty - it's been a good car - but I am worried about the CVT, especially now that we are approaching 100k miles. I know if that goes, it's big bucks.

Does anybody have any experience with these Ford ESP plans? Are they worth it?

• 1 month later...

I'd say they are worth it if you don't want out of pocket expenses in the event of a breakdown. If you have lots of money, or you are disciplined enough to put away the initial cost and a little each week to eventually cover the total cost of a repair and not touch it, keep the money in your pocket. Where are you purchasing the warranty? Check out Harold Zeigler Automotive Group for very good prices. Make sure you check the "fine print" and get one that covers the transmission in full. I really liked my 2007 Freestyle, but I traded mine in 2009 because of transmission worries, sounds like you have had very good luck with yours.

Edited by transitman

I'd say they are worth it if you don't want out of pocket expenses in the event of a breakdown. If you have lots of money, or you are disciplined enough to put away the initial cost and a little each week to eventually cover the total cost of a repair and not touch it, keep the money in your pocket. Where are you purchasing the warranty? Check out Harold Zeigler Automotive Group for very good prices. Make sure you check the "fine print" and get one that covers the transmission in full. I really liked my 2007 Freestyle, but I traded mine in 2009 because of transmission worries, sounds like you have had very good luck with yours.

That's a good argument if you finance the warranty along with the vehicle purchase. But if you can afford to pay $1500 out of pocket for a warranty then you should be able to pay for a repair also whether it's cash or credit.

I think people are simply infatuated with the idea of not having to pay for a repair at the time of the repair and they don't really look at the big picture.

• 1 month later...

We decided not to extend the warranty. (Not having the money laying around was a pretty strong decision maker) Most of the time I wouldn't even consider this - just with the horror stories I have heard of the the cost of a new CVT on the Freestyle. Hopefully we can get 150,000 or so miles out of the car before we need to replace anything major. Guess we will take the gamble.

• 11 months later...

A few early CVTs had some problems with input shaft bearings as I recall. My own 05 Five Hundred has been OK up to its current 71K miles. From what I've read the CVT has a reputation for being more reliable than the Aisin 6-spd, and if something catastrophic was going to happen to the CVT, it usually happened in the original warranty period.

• 4 years later...

I know that this is an older post but I will add to this.

I bought my wife her 2006 Freestyle limited in Dec 2005 and we had this car until 2013 when she drove it into an Expedition. The car had 181,000 miles on her with the exception of a "charging light" from the aftermarket alternator. (Yes use motorcraft parts for electrical, the newer cars are fussy) Other than that the car was excellent. She is in a Edge now and loves the Edge but she really liked the Freestyle, I called it "looks like a station wagon on Steroids", To me the cars are underated and an excellent value.

• Like 1

I know that this is an older post but I will add to this.

I bought my wife her 2006 Freestyle limited in Dec 2005 and we had this car until 2013 when she drove it into an Expedition. The car had 181,000 miles on her with the exception of a "charging light" from the aftermarket alternator. (Yes use motorcraft parts for electrical, the newer cars are fussy) Other than that the car was excellent. She is in a Edge now and loves the Edge but she really liked the Freestyle, I called it "looks like a station wagon on Steroids", To me the cars are underated and an excellent value.

Especially after the first restyle and they changed the name to Taurus X, dumped the CVT and installed a 3.5L motor....i agree that it was an underrated vehicle.