August 2011 Sales Results

Wow, but when people claimed the same for a new Ranger creeping into the F-150 price range, they were considered loony and no one would ever buy a Ranger then. Love to see the double standards.

For the most part truck buyers are different from car or S/CUV buyers...why are you going to spend more money on a ranger when you can spend the same $$$ on a F-150 and get a much more capable truck? The only thing the Ranger has going for it is its overall size (its still big with a tiny interior IMO) and if your getting a 4 banger Ranger...theres nothing that an Escape or Transit Connect can't do vs that..and if anything a Escape is far better refined product for everyday driving.

But it's kind of funny this past winter. Watching the weather channel and the midwest and east coast get hammered by snow storms, people stranded and what not. And those storms weren't half as bad as many of the storms I've experienced on an annual basis. With a truly reliable and capable vehicle, I have yet to get stranded or have the issues many of the car and beaten path people experienced last year.

its not so much the vehicle as much as it is people being used to driving (or even having the respect for) in that weather.

For example, I've driven nothing but sporty type cars that either had at worse summer or best all season performance tires on it them, until my GF got her Escape nearly 2 years ago. We went out to PA in a bad snow storm for the area (got 2+ feet of snow, didn't think it would be that bad at the time) and drove back in the worse of it back home to NJ. It took me 3-4 hours to get home (should have been a hour and half in normal weather), and one stretch of road was so bad it took me an hour to get down a road that normally took 20 minutes..but I took my time and respected the road...which can't be said for most people driving. I didn't even get stuck, though I did try to when I was closer to home :)

its not so much the vehicle as much as it is people being used to driving (or even having the respect for) in that weather.

I made due with my Cobra as my only vehicle--rain, snow, or shine--for 8 years. I never got it stuck anywhere. :shrug: Would I take it out in a foot of snow? Of course not. I would be very hesitant to take my Edge (or any smaller CUV) out in a foot of snow too though.

Edited by NickF1011

I made due with my Cobra as my only vehicle--rain, snow, or shine--for 8 years. I never got it stuck anywhere. :shrug: Would I take it out in a foot of snow? Of course not. I would be very hesitant to take my Edge (or any smaller CUV) out in a foot of snow too though.

Well the current Gen Escape handled it very well, but at the same time I think the Escape might have more ground clearance then the Edge too.

As for me driving my car (the Mustang) in the snow...I don't for the most part..I drove back earlier this year in about 4-6 inches of snow or so...that was pushing it. Thankfully it was raining near work..

Well the current Gen Escape handled it very well, but at the same time I think the Escape might have more ground clearance then the Edge too.

As for me driving my car (the Mustang) in the snow...I don't for the most part..I drove back earlier this year in about 4-6 inches of snow or so...that was pushing it. Thankfully it was raining near work..

Edmunds lists the Escape as having 0.5" more ground clearance, which is basically a wash. I would certainly be no more confident taking an Escape somewhere than I would be taking my Edge, just because it looks more SUV-ish. Basically the point I was making with that.

Wow, but when people claimed the same for a new Ranger creeping into the F-150 price range, they were considered loony and no one would ever buy a Ranger then. Love to see the double standards.

Not me. I have no problem with a smaller highly optioned vehicle overlapping the next largest base vehicle in price. In fact I'd say if they don't overlap then your product planning isn't correct.

The problem with the Ranger is that it was on an island in a plant by itself on a bespoke platform in a shrinking market segment. They needed to start over but they were too late to get on the T6 bandwagon for North America and there may be competing plans for either a unibody based small pickup or a smaller F150 based vehicle.

All other claims to the contrary are just smoke and mirrors to shield longer term product plans and/or for UAW contract negotiating purposes. IMO, of course.

For the most part truck buyers are different from car or S/CUV buyers...why are you going to spend more money on a ranger when you can spend the same $$$ on a F-150 and get a much more capable truck? The only thing the Ranger has going for it is its overall size (its still big with a tiny interior IMO) and if your getting a 4 banger Ranger...theres nothing that an Escape or Transit Connect can't do vs that..and if anything a Escape is far better refined product for everyday driving.

Size for one. Not everyone needs the size or towing/hauling capabilities of a full-size truck. But they need the open bed and 4WD capabilities of a truck. Think Focus to Fusion, not everyone wants/needs the size of a Fusion. The Ranger is not big, it's the only compact truck out there. Compare a Ranger to any of the mid-size trucks on the market and you'll see it's nowhere near the size (interior or exterior). Escape nor TC can haul tall items in the cargo box like the Ranger, whether 4 or 6 cylinder. And why bring up refined? The Ranger is running off a 92/93 platform with minimal updates compared to the various upgrades the Escape has received over the years.

Had Ford updated the Ranger in the past, including new motors and transmissions at the least, it'd be a much better truck today and could last quite a bit longer.

Edited by V8-X

Not me. I have no problem with a smaller highly optioned vehicle overlapping the next largest base vehicle in price. In fact I'd say if they don't overlap then your product planning isn't correct.

And that is what many people against a new Ranger were claiming, the "oh it'll creep into F150 territory". Either saying it'll cost too much or it'll steal F150 sales. Which the Focus optioned out creeps into Fusion range, and the Fusion creeps into the Taurus range, and the F150 creeps into F250/350 territory. So like you, I have no problem with the overlap and think it's a good thing.

Mustangs make GREAT snow cars!

post-4694-0-30332400-1315336366_thumb.jpg

Edited by NLPRacing

And that is what many people against a new Ranger were claiming, the "oh it'll creep into F150 territory". Either saying it'll cost too much or it'll steal F150 sales. Which the Focus optioned out creeps into Fusion range, and the Fusion creeps into the Taurus range, and the F150 creeps into F250/350 territory. So like you, I have no problem with the overlap and think it's a good thing.

A Titanium Focus is a great package and will no doubt lure some mid sized buyers not needing that much car or room.

This is all about car makers testing the market and offering better appointed small cars and about time they did too....

A Titanium Focus is a great package and will no doubt lure some mid sized buyers not needing that much car or room.

The Titanium offers Condo parking space-sized luxury without the Acura/Audi price. The Titanium I saw on the weekend, in pearl white, was a fine looking automobile. Great panel fit, BTW.

Buick is trying to work the mini-lux market with a nicely re-done Opel, Cadillac has something on the way, but it will probably be bigger than a real C-size.

IMHO, a 2.0 ST/EB Titanium Focus with all the options should do very well in the market.

But, somehow, there has to be a place for a Lincoln. :)

No it wasn't, man, that 1" of snow shut down all of Dallas-Fort Worth for 72 hours. There were fist fights over canned goods, tow companies stopped taking calls, one guy got stuck 200 feet from his house and had to survive for 8 hours on a container of tic-tacs and a half-empty can of Mountain Dew.

Sounds about right....

No it wasn't, man, that 1" of snow shut down all of Dallas-Fort Worth for 72 hours. There were fist fights over canned goods, tow companies stopped taking calls, one guy got stuck 200 feet from his house and had to survive for 8 hours on a container of tic-tacs and a half-empty can of Mountain Dew.

Sounds about right....

Growing up, we spent every Thanksgiving with family in Woodstock, GA, about 30 miles outside of Atlanta. I remember being baffled when a *dusting*, I'm talking no more than 1/4" of snow paralyzed the city. Schools were closed, government agencies shut down, and I saw multiple kids attempt to make snowmen. It's all in what you're used to, I guess.

Growing up, we spent every Thanksgiving with family in Woodstock, GA, about 30 miles outside of Atlanta. I remember being baffled when a *dusting*, I'm talking no more than 1/4" of snow paralyzed the city. Schools were closed, government agencies shut down, and I saw multiple kids attempt to make snowmen. It's all in what you're used to, I guess.

We don't have a snow day here unless it dumps at least a foot over night and then there has to be wind mixed in otherwise it takes 2 feet. LOL

We don't have a snow day here unless it dumps at least a foot over night and then there has to be wind mixed in otherwise it takes 2 feet. LOL

In 2008, the SDSU soccer team won the Summit tournament and got the autobid for the NCAA tournament. The pod included Notre Dame, Minnesota, SDSU and #16 ranked Colorado.

The pod ended up in Minneapolis because that was cheaper than sending everyone to Boulder, and the Goofs weren't too far back of the Buffaloes.

Anyway....

Like the Tuesday or Wednesday before the match (the College Cup is played in November), I'm reading an interview with the Colorado coach, and when asked about playing in Minneapolis, he says, "We're in Colorado. We're used to winter."

And that's when I knew they were in trouble. Snow isn't the same as cold. You can get a ton of snow on a balmy 28 degree day. The Black Hills gets a LOT of snow, but it's seldom as cold as it is on the east side of the state. Even if it's always like ten degrees colder in Lead (where 2005Explorer lives) than it is on the edge of the Hills.

SDSU, playing in basically the same conditions they'd been practicing in for the past few weeks beat Colorado 1-0, and the Colorado coach found out what winter *really* feels like.

Edited by RichardJensen

We don't generally get snow days in Manitoba, even then. We just get things cancelled because the wind chill puts it below -50ºC....or if it's minus 40º without the windchill.

Edmunds lists the Escape as having 0.5" more ground clearance, which is basically a wash. I would certainly be no more confident taking an Escape somewhere than I would be taking my Edge, just because it looks more SUV-ish. Basically the point I was making with that.

But doesn't your Edge also have performance tires with 20 inch wheels on it? I wouldn't want to drive that either in a bad snow storm.

Size for one. Not everyone needs the size or towing/hauling capabilities of a full-size truck. But they need the open bed and 4WD capabilities of a truck. Think Focus to Fusion, not everyone wants/needs the size of a Fusion. The Ranger is not big, it's the only compact truck out there. Compare a Ranger to any of the mid-size trucks on the market and you'll see it's nowhere near the size (interior or exterior). Escape nor TC can haul tall items in the cargo box like the Ranger, whether 4 or 6 cylinder. And why bring up refined? The Ranger is running off a 92/93 platform with minimal updates compared to the various upgrades the Escape has received over the years.

The problem is that your looking at this way too narrow minded and are looking for an excuse why the Ranger needs to be still around. You talk about 4WD...who needs that besides the very small percentage that may go off-roading? You talk about Tall items...how many times do need to do that over the time you own the truck?

A Transit Connect is a great replacement for a 2WD Ranger that is used by Auto Parts Stores or other small cargo type uses like Cable Guys, Security Installs etc. A Escape (or even an Edge) is a far better choice for families who need extra room to stick kids or people behind the driver or in the situation where a more "off road" truck (think Park Ranger) is needed. Both are far better to drive around (less Taxing to drive and overall more comfortable)

I used to live in Woodstock. The problem is 3 fold:

1 - no snow removal equipment. None. Only sand and salt spreaders and they only really work on the bridges and interchanges.

2 - ice. We typically don't just get snow. It may start as snow but the temps here in Atlanta don't usually stay below freezing during the daytime. So the snow melts and then refreezes into black ice. It's not the snow - it's the ice. And I don't care what type of vehicle you have - unless you have metal tracks or studded tires you can't drive on ice.

Ice storms are even worse - freezing rain collects on the trees and they take out power lines and block roads for days.

3 - idiot drivers who don't know that they don't know how to drive on snow and ice.

To their credit, snow in GA is usually good for snowmen since it is pretty wet! :)

But doesn't your Edge also have performance tires with 20 inch wheels on it? I wouldn't want to drive that either in a bad snow storm.

22 inch wheels. Get it right! And yeah, regardless of tires, neither the Edge nor Escape are ideally suited for driving in a foot of snow. If I lived somewhere that got snow regularly, I would have a set of wheels with snow tires on them for winter.

Um, that's not snow, that's a very light dusting. All that does is get your car dirty.

In North Texas, our average snowfall is less than 1", but on that particular day, we got 6". And yes, it got my car very dirty.

Dude, it was a joke!

Thanks!

You must have a subscription to the Fort Worth Star Telegram. Seriously though, 1" does shut this town down. But the 1" of ice with 6" of snow around Super Bowl last year pretty much crippled all of North Texas. There's no salt trucks or snow plows within 500 miles of here. Being a Minnesota boy, it was fun to watch.