Ice Road Trucker

It's good Ford is using product placement in these shows. It's good to see Ford getting out there and showing off the product to the people. Honestly I don't see many Ford commercials on TV but GM has ads everywhere. The U.S. Top Gear had a dually pickup challenge and even though the Ford was the only one that towed anything, (a locomotive and a gondola car) they claimed the Chevy was the toughest of the three because it climbed a hill and beet the Ford in a drag race by 4 inches. I'm beginning to think that this show is in it for GM. It seems most of the challenges a GM wins and I know better than to believe that crap. Guess I'll stick with Top Gear UK, it's a better show and they don't play favorites.

It's good Ford is using product placement in these shows. It's good to see Ford getting out there and showing off the product to the people. Honestly I don't see many Ford commercials on TV but GM has ads everywhere. The U.S. Top Gear had a dually pickup challenge and even though the Ford was the only one that towed anything, (a locomotive and a gondola car) they claimed the Chevy was the toughest of the three because it climbed a hill and beet the Ford in a drag race by 4 inches. I'm beginning to think that this show is in it for GM. It seems most of the challenges a GM wins and I know better than to believe that crap. Guess I'll stick with Top Gear UK, it's a better show and they don't play favorites.

I smelled that rat from the first show when Rutledge, (somebody who is supposed to know something about cars from what I've heard, but not what I've seen) diagnoses the Turbo-Tbird with a stuck thermostat "It's dry as a bone" and then goes to find a pen from the trunk to puncture it (when there's a screwdriver 2 ft. away.) Why not just take it out? And if it really is dry it was just going to meltdown, because there's no coolant to hit the coolant temp sensor to send an overheating reading.

Then he blows up the transmission on the final challenge doing a neutral drop, which everyone knows is the fastest way to launch a car. I see drag racers doing it at the strip all the time. :redcard:

Just like TG UK, it's an entertainment show, not a car show. The points don't matter.

I smelled that rat from the first show when Rutledge, (somebody who is supposed to know something about cars from what I've heard, but not what I've seen) diagnoses the Turbo-Tbird with a stuck thermostat "It's dry as a bone" and then goes to find a pen from the trunk to puncture it (when there's a screwdriver 2 ft. away.) Why not just take it out? And if it really is dry it was just going to meltdown, because there's no coolant to hit the coolant temp sensor to send an overheating reading.

Then he blows up the transmission on the final challenge doing a neutral drop, which everyone knows is the fastest way to launch a car. I see drag racers doing it at the strip all the time. :redcard:

Just like TG UK, it's an entertainment show, not a car show. The points don't matter.

Next week the challenge is between an older Jeep, an older Blazer and a Bronco, cruising 500 miles through a desert. I'll tune in to see how they screw Ford out of that one.

Guess I'll stick with Top Gear UK, it's a better show and they don't play favorites.

Seen a couple episodes of the US Top Gear. Not impressed either, even as just entertainment. The show is what you get if you would give immature high schoolers (or maybe grade schoolers) a show and a bunch of automotive resources to do whatever they want with, no matter how idiotic. Seen the UK version on the web and that show is fun to watch, and the guys are defintely more mature (or maybe the English accents make them seem that way).

Back to the Ice Road Truckers show, the Canadian hauling company was in a Raptor, and Alaskan programming had a King Ranch 4 door and another possible Lariat 4 door in the show.

One episode shows the Canadian side crossing a frozen lake with the Raptor, nice pictures of it too...

Yes, the American Top Gear sucks....

Edited by fordtion

I watched Top Gear US because I own a Bronco and figured id see how it went for the Ford. Again, you could have planned what was going to happen based off the previous shows. The Ford was naturally the first one out whereas the Blazer and the Jeep had no problems. I'm positive the show is in it for GM. It really pisses me off, I love Top Gear UK and had high hopes for the American version, but the bias is just so obvious its pathetic. I guess I should have learned my lesson from the previous shows but I had hoped maybe they would let it go. Anyway I guess I'll stick to Top Gear UK.

Not really sure I would call US top gear ford bias, the intro has a mustang, ac cobra, and a ford pickup, and the one fella admits to owning multiple super duties. The guy that broke the caddy for driving stupid is the same guy who pushed the bronco and broke an axle C clip.

The product placement was nice in ice road truckers but seemed a bit too contrived, especially when they zoomed in on the blue oval logo on the steering wheel.

Cool, I'd like to see that episode even if it is product placement. On another note, the show Swamp loggers with NO Ford affiliation or product placement (they just happen to all drive F-250's) had a 2011 6.7L superduty pulling their logging trucks out of the mud also.

What would be more impressive is if the big rigs were Fords!

10-4 Joe. we probably won't see any big Fords on Ice Road Trucker, but there are still plenty of them in service. The outfit that pulled the famous USAIR plane that ditched in the Hudson to its new home has a least one LTL still in service. They moved a huge hydrotreater system to the huge Bayway refinery in NJ a couple of years ago and an LTL was in the action. I have a bunch of pix-I'll see if I can find them.