Ford Dumping CD Player

Some of you guys need to read the posts more thoroughly. My original post said I feel CD players will at least be an option, I didn't say standard equipment. According to TomServo92, sounds like Ford still plans to offer CD players anyway for the foreseeable future.

On a side note to one of your other comments, when I buy an album, I buy it because I like the artist, not for the hit of the week. I may find a song or two on the album I do not like, but if I like the artist, I usually like the whole album

Some of you guys are sure protective of you digital media and biased against CDs. Tell us how you feel about 8-track tapes and cassettes. :D

If I like an artist I will also buy the entire album on iTunes. However, sometimes a new group comes along that I like one song but I'm not sure I want to pay for entire album.........yet.

KT-88's from a Traynor guitar amp. :)

Kt88_power_tubes_in_traynor_yba200_amplifier.jpg

pfffffffffft, sitting in my lounge, not even hooked up right now....speakers to big for the room at 72 inches high....LONG LIVE TUBES! now they just seem reserved for "high" end audio....

Edited by Deanh

On a side note to one of your other comments, when I buy an album, I buy it because I like the artist, not for the hit of the week. I may find a song or two on the album I do not like, but if I like the artist, I usually like the whole album

I'm in the same boat, I don't think I've ever bought just a single track. Plus, many albums have a cohesive flow that diminishes the part out of context from the whole.

Some of you guys are sure protective of you digital media and biased against CDs. Tell us how you feel about 8-track tapes and cassettes. :D

Tape-based recording is the worst travesty visited upon our rocky history of music - my grandpa gave me an old 8-track and a few cartridges or whatever you called them. I hated cassettes.

And regarding the vacuum tube: is there even anyone else here under 30 who has transmitted on a tube radio? :-D I like to think I know a bit more old-tech than most - e.g. I can do basic operations on a slide rule (even used it for a chemistry test once in high school). It makes me appreciate how much people got done without it, but it also makes me appreciate how useful the new tech is - and why, no matter how much old-timers might bellyache, we're not going back.

Some among the young whippersnapper generation won't even recognize what those are.

Ever want to fascinate a group of 9-year-olds, show them a record player.

I still have all my old LPs. Don't keep them out regularly, but will get them out on occasion.

Analog may not be as clear, but it's softer/smoother than digital.

• Like 1

I still have all my old LPs. Don't keep them out regularly, but will get them out on occasion.

Agreed. There's that softer, warmer glow about it...

Need to go further back than that. Electricity is not required for music playback....

I keep an original 1918 Brunswick phonograph in the home theater room. Wind up crank and all. Plays beautifully for being near 100yrs old and never used a single kwh of power in its life. Young kids really are amazed that it works when they see it. I am not old enough to have bought it new ('only' 47) My dad lugged it home as a kid when a neighbor tossed it out for a new RCA about 1950. Been in the family since.

Edited by jcthorne
  • Like 2

Need to go further back than that. Electricity is not required for music playback....

I keep an original 1918 Brunswick phonograph in the home theater room. Wind up crank and all. Plays beautifully for being near 100yrs old and never used a single kwh of power in its life. Young kids really are amazed that it works when they see it. I am not old enough to have bought it new ('only' 47) My dad lugged it home as a kid when a neighbor tossed it out for a new RCA about 1950. Been in the family since.

The reaction you get from a child when you show them the grooves under a magnifying glass really gets them interested in how things work.

I"m 'only' 42, but something tells me your Brunswick's needle would plow through my LPs like a diamond through glass.

The OS is stripped down Win 2003 but I think the home server backup app came from someone else. The GUI doesn't look like a typical Microsoft GUI (and that's a good thing).

It has worked flawlessly for me for several years. If you lose a disk you boot from cd-rom, pick the backup version you want to use to restore and it copies it from the home server over the network. Reboot and you're back in business. I was skeptical but tested it and it does work.

It also provides centralized shared storage for file sharing, media sharing, etc.

I couldn't remember if it was 2003 or 2008...

The one thing I was impressed by is how fault tolerant it is...I think my HP Home Server has a bad HD sled mount...I ordered another HD thinking it was bad, and thought I was going to lose some of my data I had on it...I actually didn't and now I have 1.5GB of storage space because of the extra drive. I had a tombstone issue with it and it ate a couple files (thankfully where backed up when I thought the HHD was going bad) a few weeks ago, but its been good since then.

I think I'm going to "roll my own" Home Server in the future to replace it

I couldn't remember if it was 2003 or 2008...

The one thing I was impressed by is how fault tolerant it is...I think my HP Home Server has a bad HD sled mount...I ordered another HD thinking it was bad, and thought I was going to lose some of my data I had on it...I actually didn't and now I have 1.5GB of storage space because of the extra drive. I had a tombstone issue with it and it ate a couple files (thankfully where backed up when I thought the HHD was going bad) a few weeks ago, but its been good since then.

I think I'm going to "roll my own" Home Server in the future to replace it

That's what I did. Piece of cake. It's running on an old desktop sitting in my media closet with no keyboard or monitor. Haven't touched it in over 3 years except to replace a noisy case fan.

I think it only cost me $150 or so for the software.

Edited by akirby

If you are really looking for a fault tolerent and well designed home server, there are far better engineered and performing products on the market than installing WHS on a power hungry PC. Take a look at the Synology line. We have been VERY impressed with the Diskstation 1511 we added to our home network about 6 months ago. It just works. Always. Very easy to maintain, expand, backup and very thrifty on the power consumption.

If you are really looking for a fault tolerent and well designed home server, there are far better engineered and performing products on the market than installing WHS on a power hungry PC. Take a look at the Synology line. We have been VERY impressed with the Diskstation 1511 we added to our home network about 6 months ago. It just works. Always. Very easy to maintain, expand, backup and very thrifty on the power consumption.

Looks like around $400 for a 2-bay plus 2 SATA hard drives. Not bad. Let's say I have a desktop and I lose the hard drive and replace it with a new one. How do I do a full restore?

Looks like around $400 for a 2-bay plus 2 SATA hard drives. Not bad. Let's say I have a desktop and I lose the hard drive and replace it with a new one. How do I do a full restore?

That's what is awesome about Time Machine on Mac OSX. I just have an external Seagate 1 TB HDD. It backs up changes every hour. If I ever need to do a full restore I just plug it in and click restore. My entire computer will look exactly like it did at the time of the last back-up.

Edited by 2005Explorer

That's what is awesome about Time Machine on Mac OSX. I just have an external Seagate 1 TB HDD. It backs up changes every hour. If I ever need to do a full restore I just plug it in and click restore. My entire computer will look exactly like it did at the time of the last back-up.

If you lose the hard drive on the Mac and have to replace it with a brand new one how do you get to the software to click Restore?

If you lose the hard drive on the Mac and have to replace it with a brand new one how do you get to the software to click Restore?

Well in my case I have a restore DVD so I would restore the OS and then connect the external to bring everything back to where it was when I last updated. There are probably other ways of doing it, however I have never actually had to restore the OS so I'm not exactly sure. Anyhow Time Machine is actually a pretty good idea for backing up with minimal expense or complexity. Not to say that it works any better then your system, however for the Mac it is a good simple option that only requires an external HDD.