Ford Dumping CD Player

HERE is a much detailed article about this topic than was in the original post. It contains the following quote:

However, Ford feels that the writing is on the wall for these "antiquated" methods of listening to music. “Ford will obviously continue to offer CD players while there is demand,” added Ralf Brosig, Ford of Europe Multimedia Manager. “However, over time we expect customer preferences will lead us quickly into an all-digital approach to in-car audio entertainment.”

For all you hand-wringers and teeth-gnashers out there, just relax.

Edited by TomServo92

Don't have to dig through racks of CD's. Just order online from places like Amazon. Plus they are usually sorted alphabetically by artist anyway. People usually know what artist they're looking when they're ready to buy.

And one more thing: With CDs you still have to pay the price an entire album even if you only want one song. I'd much rather spend a buck for the one song I want vs $10 for a CD.

So instead they want a little plastic disc that can warp in the sun or get scratched up and be useless?

CDs will warp if left in DIRECT SUNLIGHT. Based on my experience, a hot car doesn't bother the CDs as long as the CDs are not in direct sunlight. Living in So Cal, I have had Cds when it was well over 100 degrees outside, and probably 120plus in the car.

Edited by CKNSLS

CDs will warp if left in DIRECT SUNLIGHT. Based on my experience, a hot car doesn't bother the CDs as long as the CDs are not in direct sunlight. Living in So Cal, I have had Cds when it was well over 100 degrees outside, and probably 120plus in the car.

Didn't I say "in the sun"? :shades:

By the way, I live in Houston, TX (where it was 105 today) so I know what the sun can do to CDs.

Edited by TomServo92

OK, let's put it this way. My iPad has almost 1,300 songs on it (not to mention 9 movies, a dozen books, 37 digital photos and 74 apps). At an average of 10 songs per CD, that's 130 CDs. And it's only HALF FULL! All in a package a little smaller than a print magazine. But here's the really cool part: I can add another 1,300 songs and guess what? IT DOESN'T GET ANY BIGGER! I also own an iPod Touch but it "only" has the 1,300 songs and 74 apps on it. :shades:

And you don't realize there is part of the population that does not know how to download albums off the web, such as the older generation who are not as computer literate, or simply does not want to. Others want physical copies that you don't have to worry about getting deleted.

So Ford should cater to people who are basically buying their last Ford or Lincoln product? Hell my dad just turned 64 and knows how to all of this.

CD's won't last 10-15 years before going bad anyways. As for Physical copies....I have that when I buy digital music...its on my Laptop hard drive/USB stick/Server/Server backup drive...so I have about 4 redundant back ups vs one in the form of a CD.

CD's won't last 10-15 years before going bad anyways.

Huh where did you get that information from? It is true that CD-Rs and CD-RWs can have a shorter lifespan however I have a few 20 year old original factory pressed CDs that play perfectly. I expect they will still play for years to come as long as they are properly stored.

With that said I have gotten away from CDs years ago. It is true that they offer better sound then lossy files, but I'm not an audiophile and as long as it sounds "good" I am happy with it.

Huh where did you get that information from? It is true that CD-Rs and CD-RWs can have a shorter lifespan however I have a few 20 year old original factory pressed CDs that play perfectly. I expect they will still play for years to come as long as they are properly stored.

With that said I have gotten away from CDs years ago. It is true that they offer better sound then lossy files, but I'm not an audiophile and as long as it sounds "good" I am happy with it.

I believe the 10-15 year shelf life is for CD-R and CD-RWs. Pressed CDs have a longer lifespan.

OK, let's put it this way. My iPad has almost 1,300 songs on it (not to mention 9 movies, a dozen books, 37 digital photos and 74 apps). At an average of 10 songs per CD, that's 130 CDs. And it's only HALF FULL! All in a package a little smaller than a print magazine. But here's the really cool part: I can add another 1,300 songs and guess what? IT DOESN'T GET ANY BIGGER! I also own an iPod Touch but it "only" has the 1,300 songs and 74 apps on it. :shades:

Honestly, How long to download 2,600 songs? The truth of the matter is that Cds are still a great source to listen to music on. It takes hardly any effort to buy them (think Amazon.com-1 click ordering). Or, Target Dept. store has the most recent ones right on the end-caps in their music department. The music on CDs is crystal clear, are in reality don't take up that much space.

So, make excuses for Ford, at the end of the day I tend to lean towards Ford's bottom line on them making this at best, premature decision.

Edited by CKNSLS

So Ford should cater to people who are basically buying their last Ford or Lincoln product? Hell my dad just turned 64 and knows how to all of this.

CD's won't last 10-15 years before going bad anyways. As for Physical copies....I have that when I buy digital music...its on my Laptop hard drive/USB stick/Server/Server backup drive...so I have about 4 redundant back ups vs one in the form of a CD.

Sorry technical thing...double post.

Edited by CKNSLS

How many people do you know that actually back up their computer? Usually no one has a problem....until it crashes.

How many people do you know that actually back up their computer? Usually no one has a problem....until it crashes.

I do, but then again I do have nearly 15+ years working in the IT industry, so I've lost and seen other people lose their data all the time.

Plus how is this any different then scratching or breaking/losing a CD?

As for downloading 2000 songs, I actually bought a CD last night...over a wireless FIOS connection in the room I rent in MD..it took less then 5 minutes to get them all.

2000 songs is roughly 8 GB, and on a typical Cable Model that takes about 2 hour to download, which is ALOT faster then taking 200 CD's (avg 10 songs a CD) and ripping them

Honestly, How long to download 2,600 songs? The truth of the matter is that Cds are still a great source to listen to music on. It takes hardly any effort to buy them (think Amazon.com-1 click ordering). Or, Target Dept. store has the most recent ones right on the end-caps in their music department. The music on CDs is crystal clear, are in reality don't take up that much space.

So, make excuses for Ford, at the end of the day I tend to lean towards Ford's bottom line on them making this at best, premature decision.

Wth broadband, about 43 hours. How long does it take to order and received a CD? At best, 24 hours. Unless you plan on ordering all 260 CDs at once, I have you beat.

As for premature decision, go read the article I linked.

And BTW, 43 hours is a worse case estimate. It would probably be shorter.

Edited by TomServo92

You can probably download the songs faster than it takes for you to put them in your shopping cart on Amazon. The average American's internet connection is 5.1Mbps (640KBytes/sec), which means a CD (about 60 megs) would take less than 2 minutes to download.

That same 1-click purchasing can directly push the music to your computer. No waiting a week for the free shipping to finally reach you. You can't even get your wheels turning faster than that.

And backups? Amazon and iTunes both allow you to re-download the songs you have purchased. Don't even have to worry about backups. (Although I am a Time Machine user - in about a week I'll start rotating Time Machine drives, keeping one offsite).

I do, using Windows Home Server. The only Microsoft product that I really like, and I think that's because they bought it from somebody else.

I do, using Windows Home Server. The only Microsoft product that I really like, and I think that's because they bought it from somebody else.

LOL Actually its a stripped down version of Windows Server 2000-something or another.

I use it also...its a pretty slick product for the most part.

(Although I am a Time Machine user - in about a week I'll start rotating Time Machine drives, keeping one offsite).

I like Time Machine on my Mac as well. I do keep a separate small portable HDD in a location that is safe from fire which I update every so many months just in case. On that drive I just update my music and digital pictures because if there were to be a fire there is no way I could replace all my pictures and it would cost a lot of money and take a lot of time to replace close to 6,000 songs.

LOL Actually its a stripped down version of Windows Server 2000-something or another.

I use it also...its a pretty slick product for the most part.

The OS is stripped down Win 2003 but I think the home server backup app came from someone else. The GUI doesn't look like a typical Microsoft GUI (and that's a good thing).

It has worked flawlessly for me for several years. If you lose a disk you boot from cd-rom, pick the backup version you want to use to restore and it copies it from the home server over the network. Reboot and you're back in business. I was skeptical but tested it and it does work.

It also provides centralized shared storage for file sharing, media sharing, etc.

Edited by akirby

Sure they'll be available. But they won't be STANDARD EQUIPMENT.

Some of you guys need to read the posts more thoroughly. My original post said I feel CD players will at least be an option, I didn't say standard equipment. According to TomServo92, sounds like Ford still plans to offer CD players anyway for the foreseeable future.

On a side note to one of your other comments, when I buy an album, I buy it because I like the artist, not for the hit of the week. I may find a song or two on the album I do not like, but if I like the artist, I usually like the whole album

Some of you guys are sure protective of you digital media and biased against CDs. Tell us how you feel about 8-track tapes and cassettes. :D