About ready to buy.........but

kylake

I currently drive a Vibe but need to upgrade before my mileage gets to great. I have looked at a Cruze and a Focus. I really want a hatchback like the Vibe and GM does not offer that option so I am leaning seriously towards the Focus hatchback 2012. I have driven one and it was a good test drive.

I know there is a marketing incentive or private offer where Ford will offer $750 off the purchase price. Does anyone know how you meet the marketing criteria to obtain this offer. I am pretty much sold on the Focus but the extra incentive would put the deal over the top and I would order. Just a newbie here but have owned a full size Bronco and 2 Explorers in the past.

Thanks in advance for advice on the private offer

Go to Ford.com and request a Focus brochure. Be sure to indicate you are buying within 0-30 days and include a valid email. There is no guarantee you will receive the offer, but people seem to be having a fair amount of success with this method. I received an email with the offer about 4 days later, and a brochure in the mail with a printed coupon followed in about 10 days. Be aware the private offer is only valid for 8 weeks after you receive it. Most orders are taking 6-8 weeks at present, with some taking longer. Be prepared to order right away if you receive the coupon.

Go to Ford.com and request a Focus brochure. Be sure to indicate you are buying within 0-30 days and include a valid email. There is no guarantee you will receive the offer, but people seem to be having a fair amount of success with this method. I received an email with the offer about 4 days later, and a brochure in the mail with a printed coupon followed in about 10 days. Be aware the private offer is only valid for 8 weeks after you receive it. Most orders are taking 6-8 weeks at present, with some taking longer. Be prepared to order right away if you receive the coupon.

Thanks Uberjeff, I will try that method. I have researched a lot and was torn between several vehicles but it came down to 2 made in the US and then to the 1 (Focus SEL Hatchback) so if I get an offer from Ford that will "seal the deal" and I have a dealer I have already done a test drive with to do the deal. Thanks for the "heads up" about only having a limited time to redeem.

I got a coupon back in March that was good through 5/31 but couldn't find a base SEL hatchback in stock, so I ordered one on 5/31. It came in a week ago (7/2) - less than 5 weeks. I ordered another brochure 2 weeks before that and got another $750 coupon good through July 31st. You may have to order the second one in your spouse's name - it's good for anyone in the household. You don't actually need the brochure or coupon - they put your name and address in the computer when they send the brochure and it's available at that time. The dealer can check it in VINCENT.

There was also another $500 rebate that wasn't advertised. Could be a X plan rebate or local dealer association - that wasn't clear and I wasn't going to argue.

I got a coupon back in March that was good through 5/31 but couldn't find a base SEL hatchback in stock, so I ordered one on 5/31. It came in a week ago (7/2) - less than 5 weeks. I ordered another brochure 2 weeks before that and got another $750 coupon good through July 31st. You may have to order the second one in your spouse's name - it's good for anyone in the household. You don't actually need the brochure or coupon - they put your name and address in the computer when they send the brochure and it's available at that time. The dealer can check it in VINCENT.

There was also another $500 rebate that wasn't advertised. Could be a X plan rebate or local dealer association - that wasn't clear and I wasn't going to argue.

Thanks akirby! I ordered the brochure as suggested but haven't gotten an email and will just wait for the brochure to be delivered. I think it said about 10 days. Your tip about ordering another may be

necessary as I am pretty sure I will have to order mine. I want the rear camera and looking at inventory within 100 mile range I am not seeing one unless the dealers are hiding inventory.

I have the X plan and from reading other forums people have stated this (private offer) could be applied in combination with the X plan. Does anyone know if that information is correct as in someone that actually used both?

I have the X plan and from reading other forums people have stated this (private offer) could be applied in combination with the X plan. Does anyone know if that information is correct as in someone that actually used both?

Yes - the private rebates are good with X plan - that's what I used.

My dealer took my expired coupon. I gave it to them when I ordered the car... not sure if that makes a difference.

My salesman told me he could extend the coupon but by that time I'd already gotten a new one with the 2nd brochure. So it may be possible.

Thanks for all the help and info. I am just waiting on a brochure now as I have not ever received a email response even though I put in my email address with ordering the brochure via snail mail. Between the X plan and private offer (when it comes) I will make the purchase and look forward to it.

I went to the dealer were I took the test drive today so they could appraise my trade in. They totally low balled my trade (deal breaker). It was $2500 below Edmunds lowest (trade in) TMV figure on the vehicle as it is equipped and the mileage. They gave me one reason for the low evaluation because the passenger side air bag light didn't engage. That has never been a problem and when I got home I got my wife to sit in the car and when it started "guess what" no problem as described by dealer.

I hope to do business with Ford and purchase the Focus but I don't think it could ever happen with the dealer in question. Thanks again for all the help.

Totally disappointed!

I went to the dealer were I took the test drive today so they could appraise my trade in. They totally low balled my trade (deal breaker). It was $2500 below Edmunds lowest (trade in) TMV figure on the vehicle as it is equipped and the mileage. They gave me one reason for the low evaluation because the passenger side air bag light didn't engage. That has never been a problem and when I got home I got my wife to sit in the car and when it started "guess what" no problem as described by dealer.

I hope to do business with Ford and purchase the Focus but I don't think it could ever happen with the dealer in question. Thanks again for all the help.

Totally disappointed!

Should not be a problem just get in touch with Edumunds and have them cut i check for the car. In the 35 years I spent in the car business I found very few people rated the condition of their car accurately.

Yes - the private rebates are good with X plan - that's what I used.

Hey akirby,

I'll also use the X-Plan, if I get the Focus.

I just got my coupon but in the fine print it stated $500 off the Fiesta & Focus.

Did you get $750 off your Focus?

Thanks

Hey akirby,

I'll also use the X-Plan, if I get the Focus.

I just got my coupon but in the fine print it stated $500 off the Fiesta & Focus.

Did you get $750 off your Focus?

Thanks

Yes, I got $750 plus another $500. Sounds like they dropped the rebate to $500 now.

Carguy,

Edmunds will not cut a check as you so facetiously pointed out. But even if I rated it as the lowest possible entry for the options it has the dealer was dogging me on the trade in value. They knew where I worked and knew I qualified for the X plan without me saying a thing. I think they adjusted their trade in offer down because of that fact. I know a good deal when I see it and I know a bad deal when that is being offered! They were offering a bad deal for me and a very good deal for themselves as it was also below a current Black Book!! In your 35 years I guess you have never taken advantage of a customer that was uninformed and would just sign without questioning? I have worked in sales also and yes people do "lie" but the evaluation the dealer gave and stuck to was dishonest on their part. Remember I mentioned the problem they reported on the passenger airbag. Factually it was a non-existing problem on the passenger air bag (Total BS)

All,

I am fairly old and have owned and traded for many cars over those years. There could be several factors for what they did but they will not get my business. Been down this road before and just simply found another dealer that offered a better deal either by upping the trade in value or lowering the retail value or a combination of both.

I bought the Vibe because of the gas mileage (34 to 36 "real world" the way I drive) and the fact it was assembled in CA, USA even though it was in fact a Toyota/halfbreed. As stated I have owned many cars and trucks over the years (3 Fords) with the exception of one used Volvo in the early 70's every car or truck I have owned was assembled in the USA. It is important to me to know I am doing what I can to help workers that manufacture here at home over foreign workers. This has always been important to me not just now!

Again gas mileage is important as I commute 90 mi round trip 5 days a week. Unless I am wrong the Focus is manufactured in Ohio and that is part of the reason I have settled on a Focus, plus the gas mileage, ride, soundproofing, etc. Checked a Cruze but "no" hatchback (Europe only) and didn't like the handling or sound proofing which pushed me to the Focus which I drove and liked much better. If manufacturing location wasn't important to me I would probably get a Prius but my heart will not let me :-) It is an old guy thing I guess.

akirby, My brochure came in today and Focusing is correct if you read the bold print it is $750 but if you read the fine print it states $500 on Focus (above S model Focus and Fiesta). The way I look at it this is an incentive regardless of the price all I needed was that incentive. I have made a decision to buy and will just now need to find a dealer that is more reasonable/honest with their evaluation of my trade in. It will not take a dealer with a Edmunds evaluation but simply and "honest" trade in evaluation.

post-45666-0-40249300-1311462248_thumb.jpg

Carguy,

Edmunds will not cut a check as you so facetiously pointed out. But even if I rated it as the lowest possible entry for the options it has the dealer was dogging me on the trade in value. They knew where I worked and knew I qualified for the X plan without me saying a thing. I think they adjusted their trade in offer down because of that fact. I know a good deal when I see it and I know a bad deal when that is being offered! They were offering a bad deal for me and a very good deal for themselves as it was also below a current Black Book!! In your 35 years I guess you have never taken advantage of a customer that was uninformed and would just sign without questioning? I have worked in sales also and yes people do "lie" but the evaluation the dealer gave and stuck to was dishonest on their part. Remember I mentioned the problem they reported on the passenger airbag. Factually it was a non-existing problem on the passenger air bag (Total BS)

All,

I am fairly old and have owned and traded for many cars over those years. There could be several factors for what they did but they will not get my business. Been down this road before and just simply found another dealer that offered a better deal either by upping the trade in value or lowering the retail value or a combination of both.

I bought the Vibe because of the gas mileage (34 to 36 "real world" the way I drive) and the fact it was assembled in CA, USA even though it was in fact a Toyota/halfbreed. As stated I have owned many cars and trucks over the years (3 Fords) with the exception of one used Volvo in the early 70's every car or truck I have owned was assembled in the USA. It is important to me to know I am doing what I can to help workers that manufacture here at home over foreign workers. This has always been important to me not just now!

Again gas mileage is important as I commute 90 mi round trip 5 days a week. Unless I am wrong the Focus is manufactured in Ohio and that is part of the reason I have settled on a Focus, plus the gas mileage, ride, soundproofing, etc. Checked a Cruze but "no" hatchback (Europe only) and didn't like the handling or sound proofing which pushed me to the Focus which I drove and liked much better. If manufacturing location wasn't important to me I would probably get a Prius but my heart will not let me :-) It is an old guy thing I guess.

akirby, My brochure came in today and Focusing is correct if you read the bold print it is $750 but if you read the fine print it states $500 on Focus (above S model Focus and Fiesta). The way I look at it this is an incentive regardless of the price all I needed was that incentive. I have made a decision to buy and will just now need to find a dealer that is more reasonable/honest with their evaluation of my trade in. It will not take a dealer with a Edmunds evaluation but simply and "honest" trade in evaluation.

When I sold I was not a Grand Master Sales Councilor (top 1% in the US) because I cheated and took advantage of people. As a dealer I did not win 7 consecutive President’s Awards because I cheated and took advantage of people.

The harsh reality is since the demise of the Pontiac Division I would rather contract a STD than have a Vibe or any Pontiac or Saturn in my inventory. Those trade ins are my cash money I am risking. I must be able to resell in a reasonable amount of time at a reasonable return. Most of the perfect cars I took in trade needed an average of $1400.00 in work to make them cars I could sell to the next owner in good faith.

You do not have the overhead of dealership and are a salesperson so why not sell it yourself? If that is not what you want to do then you will pay for convenience.

Totally disappointed!

Why not try another dealer? There isn't anything I've read or seen that restricts people from having to deal with a particular dealer (aside from maybe location and personal choice to go elsewhere for the deal).

You could always sell the car privately if you feel that you aren't getting the dollar amount for your car.

Also, the Focus is not made in Ohio. It is made in Michigan.

You do not have the overhead of dealership and are a salesperson so why not sell it yourself? If that is not what you want to do then you will pay for convenience.

It may come to that as much as I like convenience I won't trade for the price offered. I will try another dealer and maybe their overhead won't be as great and they may offer more. Time will tell.

BTW, since you are a dealer I assume you get reembursed by Ford for the private offer. I would certainly hope so and I know their are all sorts of holdbacks and other incentives Ford allows the dealers on a sales to make a difference on your bottom line since as you say "overhead"

When I sold I was not a Grand Master Sales Councilor (top 1% in the US) because I cheated and took advantage of people. As a dealer I did not win 7 consecutive President’s Awards because I cheated and took advantage of people.

In your 35 years I guess you have never taken advantage of a customer that was uninformed and would just sign without questioning?

I never said you "cheated" those are your words. Taking advantage of a situation/sale and cheating are totally different. A salesman does what a salesman does which is trying to get the best deal for himself and his company. I am glad you are a honest person and have never taken advantage of any customer for 35 years.

Edited by kylake

• 3 weeks later...

First, I want to thank all that were so helpful on this board. Probably no one on the Blue Oval forum wants to hear this but I just could not get an honest trade in value from any Ford dealer and I am giving an honest review. I know it was pointed out I was trading and "abandoned" brand Pontiac Vibe (pointed out by a dealer on this board (grand master or something) that said he would rather have and STD than a Vibe on the lot). That being said, a trade is a trade, and, a sell in the auctions is a sale in the auctions, no matter what the brand or what dealer may be going to auction.

I bought a bow tie instead! It was simply economics and I was "hot" for a Focus. I ended up with a Cruze. Because of the economic factor I gave up the rear view camera and hatchback, but gained remote start without a huge package increase. I still like the style of the Focus hatchback better than the Cruze RS sedan but that being said, because of "much" better offer for trade and reduction in price from MSRP by Chevy dealer and the fact that I could get a car that basically has the same fuel mileage and is also made in the USA (those were my two key factors) I got a Cruze RS. Averaging mileage of 39 to 40 on driver info center (DIC) and pencil to paper 36+ on the first tank.

Still like the Focus and think it is also a great car but if the distributorships/dealers, will not deal, economics comes into play especially at this time in the economy. If I had bought the Ford the check would have been for about 16K (with X plan and $500 private offer) and "without" the tag/title/tax. With the Cruze I was out the door with a little over 12K "with" tag/title/tax (without any plan or rebate).

Maybe next time Ford, but not this time and the sale all boiled down to mileage capable vehicle, an honest trade in value, to buy a car manufactured in the USA.

And again thanks to all that were so helpful on this board............good driving!

Edited by kylake