2013 Escape = Kuga

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Kuga-Escape ?

• Yes - I lke the exterior styling
    • No - I prefer the older, more boxy, Escape styling

As is with past practice in respects to styling, I see the new Escape taking a page right out of Explorer and may well end up looking like a 2/3 version of it. Ford did that when Escape first debuted and with the recent successes of the new Explorer, it would be a sure bet to conclude that any Escape replacement will follow in it's bigger brothers style.

I spent two weeks in Germany at the beginning of the year. I don't remember the Kuga that I saw there having the same grill that's being shown in pics here. I saw a brand new black one and thought it was beautiful and actually wanted one. I don't think it looks anything like a RAV as someone else mentioned. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the camera turned on in time for any pics.

I've never hated the Escape but, I've never loved it either. After seeing what's in Europe, I think the current Escape is long overdue for an update. I just wish they wouldn't put that flipped upside-down Mazda 3 grill on everything here. The new Focus has grown on me but, I think the Kuga/Escape/Veretrek looks better without it. IMO, Ford should just do what they did with the Fiesta (saw plenty of those in Germany) and leave it pretty much the same and bring it here.

As is with past practice in respects to styling, I see the new Escape taking a page right out of Explorer and may well end up looking like a 2/3 version of it. Ford did that when Escape first debuted and with the recent successes of the new Explorer, it would be a sure bet to conclude that any Escape replacement will follow in it's bigger brothers style.

You would think Ford would want to make the Escape the Explorer's little brother, however the new Explorer still has the traditional SUV look to it. The Vertrek is more car like and feminine in design. One reason the Escape always sold well because it looked like a little Explorer, but I see this going away. Ford has tried different things with style, but in the end the CUVs that look like SUVs do the best in the market. Ford tried the Freestyle, Taurus X and the Flex. None of them really burned up the sales charts. They finally made a CUV with some true Explorer SUV DNA and poof... it's one again a sales leader. A lot of people like myself love the Explorer, but can't afford one or don't need an SUV that big. That is where Escape comes in. I don't care what chassis you use to build it on, but make it look like a smaller scale of the new Explorer and it will sell.

Look at this artists drawing of the 2011 Explorer. It is more boxy then the Explorer turned out to be, but imagine this styling for the new Escape. It would look great in my opinion and not only keep current Escape owners, but win new ones!

2011_ford_explorer_rendering_1_cd_gallery.jpg

Edited by 2005Explorer

I agree--the Escape should look like the Explorer's little brother, not like a girl. The artist's conception above is very attractive. To me, the Rav4 and the Outlander look like real SUV's, not like station wagons. The new Prius V looks nice, but needs AWD, more ground clearance, and much bigger wheels/tires.

One reason the Escape always sold well because it looked like a little Explorer

Do you have any data to support this claim?

And like I already said, if you assert that claim, you can also assert that everybody else who didn't buy the Escape didn't buy one because it looked like a little Explorer. There are a lot more of the latter than the former. Which market do you try to appeal to?

I own two. of the latest versions.

At no time did I buy it because I thought it looked like a little Explorer. I bought it for the increased gas mileage and wanted something smaller overall. In fact , I don't think it ever looked like a little Explorer.

Do you have any data to support this claim?

And like I already said, if you assert that claim, you can also assert that everybody else who didn't buy the Escape didn't buy one because it looked like a little Explorer. There are a lot more of the latter than the former. Which market do you try to appeal to?

I understand that you feel most people prefer crossovers which don't look tough and look much more like a car then a truck, but where is your data to back up this claim? Just because everyone else is trying to make their crossovers as wimpy as possible doesn't mean Ford should follow them.

I understand that you feel most people prefer crossovers which don't look tough and look much more like a car then a truck, but where is your data to back up this claim? Just because everyone else is trying to make their crossovers as wimpy as possible doesn't mean Ford should follow them.

The fact that car-like CUV's outsell "truck"-like CUV's by a long shot is all the data I need. And well, just because it looks car-like doesn't mean it is automatically wimpy. We've already shown that the Kuga can tow about as much as the current Escape and only has 1 inch less ground clearance. Where's the "wimpiness" there compared to the Escape?

By that logic, non-RWD Coupes outsell the Mustang. Should Ford make it FWD?

I think that logic is flawed, since I question whether or not FWD coupes actually do currently outsell RWD coupes. I assert that they do not. In fact, currently, I doubt it is even close.

Another flaw in that argument is about capabilities. There's nothing inherently less capable about a CUV that looks more car-like than one that looks more truck-like. It is purely aesthetic. There is, however, a lot that is inherently less capable about a FWD coupe compared to a RWD one.

Edited by NickF1011

The fact that car-like CUV's outsell "truck"-like CUV's by a long shot is all the data I need. And well, just because it looks car-like doesn't mean it is automatically wimpy. We've already shown that the Kuga can tow about as much as the current Escape and only has 1 inch less ground clearance. Where's the "wimpiness" there compared to the Escape?

Well the current Escape isn't exactly a poor seller so if the majority of people prefer the look-alike rounded back wagons I don't see how the Escape still does so well. Price doesn't mean much if people don't like how something looks.

If we are to believe that most people prefer wimpy looking CUVs then the Freestyle/X should have been a run away sales success and the new Explorer with more traditional SUV styling should have hit the market with a thud. I'm all for the Escape getting a styling update, but if they follow the theme laid out in the Vertrek the Escape will just turn into another small look-alike CUV. I know you prefer a car looking CUV since you chose an Edge. The Edge is a great vehicle, but it looks like a car not an SUV to me. The Explorer and current Escape look like SUVs to me. Ford already has the Edge and Flex for people that don't like a trucky SUV look. The Escape should remain the Explorer's little brother in my opinion. I know you strongly disagree with that opinion, but we are all free to express our ideas.

Well the current Escape isn't exactly a poor seller so if the majority of people prefer the look-alike rounded back wagons I don't see how the Escape still does so well. Price doesn't mean much if people don't like how something looks.

The current Escape is built on a bespoke platform and sells mostly lower end models with $1500 rebates. The new one will share a platform and therefore be cheaper to produce and will likely sell at higher ATPs with little to no rebates - just like the Focus.

It's not about what's selling now - you have to look 6 years down the road. Does Ford still want to be selling the same style Escape in 6 years? I doubt it.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make as a market leader is to sit back and do nothing. Just ask RIM (Blackberry).

If we are to believe that most people prefer wimpy looking CUVs then the Freestyle/X should have been a run away sales success and the new Explorer with more traditional SUV styling should have hit the market with a thud.

:headscratch:

Yeah, because the Five Hundred and 2005 Taurus were just big hits also, right? They didn't sell because they looked dull as dishwater. Restyled Taurus had sales that picked up. If they still had a Freestyle/Taurus X based on it, it probably would have picked up some in sales too.

And frankly, the new Explorer looks a lot more CUV-like than the previous generation did. Sure hasn't hurt sales there.

The current Escape is built on a bespoke platform and sells mostly lower end models with $1500 rebates. The new one will share a platform and therefore be cheaper to produce and will likely sell at higher ATPs with little to no rebates - just like the Focus.

It's not about what's selling now - you have to look 6 years down the road. Does Ford still want to be selling the same style Escape in 6 years? I doubt it.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make as a market leader is to sit back and do nothing. Just ask RIM (Blackberry).

Where did I ever suggest that Ford should not redesign the Escape? I just don't agree with making the Escape another look-alike small station wagon like all the rest. If Ford wants to chase the little old lady market then they are doing the right thing by producing a CRV copy. I would come up with a design that is a little more masculine and one that looks a little tougher.

I know that you always agree with Ford and are very happy with every design they have created, but I don't like the direction they are taking the Escape. They might as well lift the new Focus an inch or two and call it the new Escape. That's all it is.

:headscratch:

Yeah, because the Five Hundred and 2005 Taurus were just big hits also, right? They didn't sell because they looked dull as dishwater. Restyled Taurus had sales that picked up. If they still had a Freestyle/Taurus X based on it, it probably would have picked up some in sales too.

And frankly, the new Explorer looks a lot more CUV-like than the previous generation did. Sure hasn't hurt sales there.

Well you said that most people prefer CUV's that are low and very carlike so in that case the Freestyle/X should have performed much better in the market. The new Explorer has a lot of SUV DNA in it compared to the Vertrek.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I know that you always agree with Ford and are very happy with every design they have created, but I don't like the direction they are taking the Escape. They might as well lift the new Focus an inch or two and call it the new Escape. That's all it is.

Nope. There are several designs that were flops including the aforementioned five hundred and freestyle.

Your problem is you cannot separate what YOU like and want from what the rest of the buying public likes and wants and you can't seem to understand corporate decision making where they have to take into account overall costs and profits and strategic direction.

Why can't you just say "I don't like the new design" and leave it at that? That's your opinion and nobody can argue with it.

Ford obviously thinks a different styling direction is required based on it being a global vehicle and I believe they know more about the future market direction and their internal financials than you do.

• Like 1

Nope. There are several designs that were flops including the aforementioned five hundred and freestyle.

Your problem is you cannot separate what YOU like and want from what the rest of the buying public likes and wants and you can't seem to understand corporate decision making where they have to take into account overall costs and profits and strategic direction.

Why can't you just say "I don't like the new design" and leave it at that? That's your opinion and nobody can argue with it.

Ford obviously thinks a different styling direction is required based on it being a global vehicle and I believe they know more about the future market direction and their internal financials than you do.

Okay that's fair enough. I don't like the design direction they are taking. Your right Ford does know more about future market direction then I do, but they have also signed off on designs like the MKT which hasn't exactly been received with open arms by the buying public.

Okay that's fair enough. I don't like the design direction they are taking. Your right Ford does know more about future market direction then I do, but they have also signed off on designs like the MKT which hasn't exactly been received with open arms by the buying public.

This will be more like the Fiesta and Focus redesigns rather than the MKT. Remember they're replacing the Kuga in Europe so they have some experience with this type of design on this type of vehicle.

I also don't expect another MKT from Lincoln.

Well you said that most people prefer CUV's that are low and very carlike so in that case the Freestyle/X should have performed much better in the market. The new Explorer has a lot of SUV DNA in it compared to the Vertrek.

Where are you getting this "low" stuff from? The Kuga has less than an inch less ground clearance than the Escape.

On a sidenote, the Freestyle/Taurus X might have performed better if they didn't look dull as dishwater.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FWIW I spoke with a manager at the LAP (plant producing the upcoming Escape) and there are 3 in Louisville right now, they were driven down from Detroit in a covered trailor. He said if you liked the Veratrek concept then you will like the production sheet metal, as aside from the giant sunroof on the concept it will be nearly identical.

FWIW I spoke with a manager at the LAP (plant producing the upcoming Escape) and there are 3 in Louisville right now, they were driven down from Detroit in a covered trailor. He said if you liked the Veratrek concept then you will like the production sheet metal, as aside from the giant sunroof on the concept it will be nearly identical.

gay.

Edited by probowler