The CD3 triplets are still doing well. Good to see. Waiting for the chiming in about how the Taurus still outsold the Fusion though. :finger:

The Explorer should finally teach them a lesson for good: Redesigns that don't look new aren't perceived as new, no matter how much you actually changed. They botched that one big time.

Mercury is up overall. Good deal. Addition of their version of the Freestyle along with the Montego refresh should go a long way for this brand.

Lincoln needs the MkZ and MkX ASAP, although Zephyr is doing surprisingly well as it is now.

Volvo's drop in sales lately is starting to become a concern as well. They aren't in freefall, but they've been steadily declining for several months now.

Jaguar. Still a mess. :doh:

Land Rover looks great. They should see continued sales leaps with the LR2 arriving soon.

Actually, ST production is still not up to speed. Local Ford lot has only one ST to 12 Explorers. Many of the smaller lots don't even have one ST.

The Sport Trac was already gone at this time last year. So we're still seeing a year-over-year drop WITHOUT the Sport Trac in the mix. Even with them included, we're not going to see much of an increase for the old Explorer. Personally, I think the redesign flat out sucks. Would seem I'm not the only one who thinks so either.

The Sport Trac was already gone at this time last year. So we're still seeing a year-over-year drop WITHOUT the Sport Trac in the mix. Even with them included, we're not going to see much of an increase for the old Explorer. Personally, I think the redesign flat out sucks. Would seem I'm not the only one who thinks so either.

ST was out of production, but still in stock. Production ended in May and the STs were sold down by the end of July (you can tell by the "off-a-cliff" decline in Explorer numbers from August forward).

I think the grille redesign is awful, BTW.

ST was out of production, but still in stock. Production ended in May and the STs were sold down by the end of July (you can tell by the "off-a-cliff" decline in Explorer numbers from August forward).

I think the grille redesign is awful, BTW.

Well, that brings up another problem with Ford's traditional way of doing things: Why the heck is it taking Ford so long to ramp up ST production if it's so important to the Explorer's bottom line? It's been out for a couple months now. What's the hold up??

Not only did the Taurus outsell the Fusion, but it outsold the Fusion, Milan, and Zephyr combined. ;)

Yeah, all to fleets smarty pants. :kuko: And probably for a loss, too. [Want an '06/07? wait and get a used one in 6 months for 50% off. Anyone who buys a Tortose at retail now, is just throwing $$ into a fire.

Taurus is down 23% and looks like the start of the phase out. The corporate welfare train of making cars for a loss and dumping into rental fleets is dead. As soon as this welfare system is killed off $$$ maybe can flow in and new prodcut can be put out. Instead of old modly stuff that no one in the retail market wants to buy.

Fusion and 500 combined now outsell the old Bull, something people harped on. 500 was Up! Looks like the car can hang on til the 2007 1/2 3.5 V6 and new trim.

Edited by 630land

Well, that brings up another problem with Ford's traditional way of doing things: Why the heck is it taking Ford so long to ramp up ST production if it's so important to the Explorer's bottom line? It's been out for a couple months now. What's the hold up??

While the ST is being flexed with the regular Explorer at LAP, the number of ST's being produced as a percentage of overall volume was probably significantly lower at launch, probably due to a desire to give the line workers more time to get accustomed to assembly procedures (in both Hermosillo and Chicago the line ran slowly at first). Ford also produced relatively few STs because they perform an extensive shakedown, and if there are several manufacture defects to correct, it's better to correct them on a handful of units than several thousand. Also, Ford does not ship any volume until an exhaustive shakedown is performed on several of the early production units. There's an Automotive News article that details this somewhere. I don't really want to dig it up. Gist of it is, get used to slow launches from Ford. Also get used to vehicles that are at or near the top of their class in quality right off the bat.

So yeah, I would guess that the ST is only just now being produced in significant numbers. By August or September we should see some nice 'bounce' in Explorer numbers, and a lot more of these trucks on the road.

Oh, and one more thing. This is not the "traditional" way of doing things at Ford, unless you want to call something that started with the Five Hundred/Freestyle/Montego a "tradition".

Edited by RichardJensen

So yeah, I would guess that the ST is only just now being produced in significant numbers. By August or September we should see some nice 'bounce' in Explorer numbers, and a lot more of these trucks on the road.

I predict that come August and September, Explorer sales will still be down by 18-20% compared to a year ago. I just really don't see the Sport Trac making that big a difference -- especially since it is inflicted with the same ugly snout as the regular Explorer. Couldn't they have at least gave it the blacked-out appearance that the Adrenalin concept had? It actually almost sort of looked "sporty".

Also, what vehicle do you think is going to take the brunt of the loss of the Tauri with the rental firms? Will you call the Fusion cheap when it assumes it's place in that roll?

Well, assuming Ford doesn't have intentions of doubling Hermosillo's capacity, they simply won't be able to fill the void entirely with Fusion rental units. Hopefully Ford will simply let that piece of the fleet market go away and rely on retail sales for the CD3's to maintain the bulk of volume. At least that's what appears will be the case.

The Freestar minvan, [no not the Frestyle SUV], outsold the Expedition in June. Now how bad is that? The truck line Ford bet the farm on in 1998 is lower than the much mailigned Windstar rehash. :happy feet:

I wish Mr Trotman, who said "I don't care" about car customers were alive to day to see what he and Jac have wrought. :finger:

Yeah, all to fleets smarty pants. :kuko: And probably for a loss, too. [Want an '06/07? wait and get a used one in 6 months for 50% off. Anyone who buys a Tortose at retail now, is just throwing $$ into a fire.

Taurus is down 23% and looks like the start of the phase out. The corporate welfare train of making cars for a loss and dumping into rental fleets is dead. As soon as this welfare system is killed off $$$ maybe can flow in and new prodcut can be put out. Instead of old modly stuff that no one in the retail market wants to buy.

Fusion and 500 combined now outsell the old Bull, something people harped on. 500 was Up! Looks like the car can hang on til the 2007 1/2 3.5 V6 and new trim.

I suspect the FiveHindred icrease might be due to taking over Taurus fleet sales... it was supposed to do that anyways ... and I believe the June numbers are showing it is happening ....

Igor

Ford doubled the capacity at Hermosillo before they started production. Why not do it again?

They could. I just don't believe that is their intention. Part of the "Way Forward" was right-sizing production capacity. Increasing capacity of a plant just to make room for fleet-dumping wouldn't be very bright.

The Freestar minvan, [no not the Frestyle SUV], outsold the Expedition in June. Now how bad is that? The truck line Ford bet the farm on in 1998 is lower than the much mailigned Windstar rehash. :happy feet:

I wish Mr Trotman, who said "I don't care" about car customers were alive to day to see what he and Jac have wrought. :finger:

Anyone that has any clue about the automotive world knows that a new Expedition is coming soon and I would imagine that is having some negative impact.

Also, the Explorer has seemed to stabilize around 18,000+ units. I would argue that it is still an important vehicle for Ford at those numbers. Maybe some around here think they should cancel it however. Not sure. The redesign is not killing it, the fuel prices are. Every BOF SUV is down as much or more then the Explorer. Fuel prices are averaging 70 cents a gallon higher this year then they were last year.

Also, some would question why the Mountaineer has been up the last couple of months even though the Explorer is down. I would say that the Mountaineer attracts buyers that have more income. They are not as effected by fuel prices. If fuel dropped by a $1.00 a gallon tomorrow and people knew it was going to stay at a lower lever, you the Explorer would take off like wild fire again. People have always and still love the Explorer, they just don't want to pay the fuel costs. How Ford got the Explorer...so right...back in 1990 when the 1991 came out, and can't seem to do that with any products today still amazes me. The Explorer fed something to people that they were in search of at the time. No one had ever made a vehicle that size before, only bigger or smaller. The package was perfect. It seemed to feed people's emotions at the time. Where that is today? I don't know, but I wish Ford could find it again.

We beat Nissan!?!?! ... WAY TO GO FORD !!!!

Igor

Yeah, but you won't hear about that on any media source. All they report is how poorly GM and Ford are doing. Now, I see they are finally pulling DCX back into the negative reports as well. Seems they won't be satified until GM and Ford are gone so they can spend all of their time talking about how great Toyota is.

Toyota and Honda have truly became automakers that can do no wrong. They could introduce the most dangerous product to ever drive down a road tomorrow...and it would be the best thing ever...

Before you brealk out the champagne reads this. Toyota up 14%

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/breaking...june-185003.php

Good site for sales info.

http://www.jalopnik.com

Have you bought a Toyota yet? Seems like that is thething to do because everyone else is doing it. The new code for cool is buy a Toyota. The only bad thing...is Americans are notorious for getting tired of stuff after so long. Not saying Toyota is going anywhere, just that people get bored.

On a related note...Toyota sales are up 14% on the strength of their fuel efficient 4 cylinder and V6 front wheel drive cars. It is not their SUV or Pickups that are doing it.

Chrysler is down 13%...how is that possible??? But they have the HEMI and rear wheel drive???

Common I thought that huge V8 engines in full sized rear wheel drive cars is what everyone says Ford needs?????

Forget that...Ford is doing fine with their front wheel drive models...except...Five-Hundred needs a facelift and a Duratec 35 option. Fusion needs AWD and a Hybrid model and can we please get the C1 Focus? A new Focus would be HOT HOT HOT right now. Last, when is the Edge coming?

As far as mid and full sized SUV's. Only lower fuel prices will help those.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Before you brealk out the champagne reads this. Toyota up 14%

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/breaking...june-185003.php

Good site for sales info.

http://www.jalopnik.com

Yes yes. Dreamy Toyota continues to do no wrong in the eyes of consumers apparently. Then again, if Toyota's sales were as truck-heavy as Ford's, they'd be faring no better. I noticed the press release made no mention of sales of the Sequoia or Tundra. :doh:

It's going to take some time for GM, Chrysler, and Ford to properly re-align their product offerings to market conditions. Relying on trucks for so long (as much as a mistake as it was in hindsight) is the main reason for such disappointing sales results as of late.

Over the past couple of months, however, it appears as though Ford is righting the sales ship quicker than GM or Chrysler.

Edited by NickF1011

Yes yes. Dreamy Toyota continues to do no wrong in the eyes of consumers apparently. Then again, if Toyota's sales were as truck-heavy as Ford's, they'd be faring no better.

Well any company can fail. At one time in history Firestone was the number 1 tire manufacturer in the world. Along came the Firestone Radial 500 recall of the 1970's to be replaced by the 721 that had almost as many issues. Last to finish the deal along came the horrid Wilderness AT's of the 1990's. How many people here have Firestone's on their vehicle now??? I would never purchase a product from the Bridgestone-Firestone Corporation after their history and believe it or not...it's a Japanese company. Wait a second...I thought only American companies did the wrong thing???

Toyota has made some blunders, not as many as Ford or GM, but give them time and enough popularity...something is bound to come up.

How many people here have Firestone's on their vehicle now??? I would never purchase a product from the Bridgestone-Firestone Corporation after their history and believe it or not...it's a Japanese company.

I'm running Bridgestone Potenza S-O2's on my Cobra now. Best tires I've ever had!! :happy feet: