gasoline prices

Read and actually try to comprehend Bill Ford's commentaries about motor fuel taxation, including his rationale for establishing a price floor on those products.

And so you think that we should listen to a guy just because his last name is Ford........had to hire someone to save his company.........and take his word as gospel. Duh, I don't think so.

I am very happy he made his commercials, am also happy HIS EVIL RICH ASS and relatives RICH ASSES are now RICH AGAIN. (lol) But the truth his, he has shown just because his name is Ford doesn't mean a thing when it comes to business; it only means something when he offers a check.

If you and his relatives would have followed his business thinking, this company would have been toast, and you would have been broke. So if this is the best thinking you have to offer, it is obvious why you are a liberal, lol.

No offense Mr Ford if you are reading this, but lets be honest------>you were smart enough to hire someone who knew exactly what they were doing to save this company; and I thank you. I just wish you would inform these incompetent people who peruse these boards that sur names do not mean a thing, and when they post what they perceive to be intelligent thoughts because you thought them, they mean SQUAT until you personally make a contribution to the thought process of saving that which your ancestors left you.

Hello weak thinking individuals who buy into this sur name crap-------->my last name has just been changed to Obama, lol. I suggest you all cut taxes and make the government force the issue of drilling. HOW RIDICULOUS!!!!! Almost as ridiculous as anyone trying to convince anyone else that words from someone named Ford means this is the way to go. If it was uncle Henry, maybe. But since it is very far removed Bill, you guys are smoking something, and it ain't tobacco.

Find another source worth listening to that is not some liberal talking head, or you guys are just laughable!

• Like 1

Huh????

It's bad enough Mark pretended to go to Law School, please don't pretend that you went to business school.

Whether they list the freight cost on the invoice (like a vehicle's MSRP sticker), or bury it in the final price, a freight factor is always included in the price of the goods. Do you actually believe companies just "eat" that cost?

do you actually read what people write before ripping on them?

Gotta say l can't complain about fuel prices, we gotta a 1p cut off fuel prices in April in the UK.

LINK

Unleaded $9.99 a gallon

Diesel $10.59 a gallon

Its no wonder Folk don't buy pick-ups in Europe when the diesel only Ford Ranger only does up to 60 MPG on the open road & a piss poor 44 MPG average, nobody can afford to fill one up in the UK. Annual yearly road tax at £455 ($736 high C02 tax) is also very prohibitive to put off most buyers off ever buying one.

LINK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfIdMzFQIcI&feature=player_embedded

MMmm Nice

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Unleaded $9.99 a gallon

Diesel $10.59 a gallon

As someone told me once.......suck it up and pay for the luxury of having them transported 1000s of miles to your neighbourhood.

The other option might be to vote for leaders who reduce the taxes on them, but that might mean you'd have to find something else to do with your windfall profit.

In the meantime, you can enjoy not enjoying the freedom to drive as you will.

As someone told me once.......suck it up and pay for the luxury of having them transported 1000s of miles to your neighbourhood.

The other option might be to vote for leaders who reduce the taxes on them, but that might mean you'd have to find something else to do with your windfall profit.

In the meantime, you can enjoy not enjoying the freedom to drive as you will.

You get shafted from all sides by who ever you vote for in the UK, be it from the left or right wing governments none are much cop or very pro-motorist. You get milked till you are dry of every £££ you earn by both Left & Right wing governments if you own a car here. Youngsters don't both to tax or insure cars here, if they get caught the police can't be bothered with them they get let off, unless they have killed or murdered somebody. UK Police are undermanned, about to lose their job as part of austerity cutbacks, over stretched have to spend hours on red tape with over 30 pages of many political correct information form filling on a computer for every incident of crime they decide to take action on. They got the arse with my neighbor for reporting that he had had his car stolen, they considered it to be a minor incident waste of police time, but arrested somebody because they sung the song "{Kung Fu fighting" at a local pub as the song offended a Chinaman in the audience, the guy had been singing the song for the last 30 years as part of his act and their was absolutely nothing offensive in the song, PC madness gone mad again.

Car Insurance premiums have gone through the roof due to fraud, accidents of unemployed uninsured drivers can't pay up, UK government has imposed a tax on insurance so they don't mind the fact that rape those who do insure their cars. Insurance Premiums have jump almost 50% in the last year due to uninsured drivers & Government Insurance taxes the average honest hard worker now pays around £1,000 on average to insure cars here.

LINK

Every gallon that is brought at the pump by the British motorist, 72.5% of the cost is British Government fuel duty + VAT taxes.

Britons Conservative government also put a new supplementary taxes on top of the 20% Gas & Oil production tax that companies like BP pay already, they increased the tax from 20% to 32% as part of the austerity package windfall tax on company profits.

If you buy a new car or just an oil filter you get stuffed with 20% VAT tax which is another austerity tool being used to pay down UK's massive debt mountain left by the outgoing left wing Labour government, that used to be 15% not to long ago.

Gotta admit l prefer the US way where the government lets those who work hard keep most of their pay, spend it on what they want as a reward for hard work. in the UK the government spends all your money for you & overspends most of the time. It pays not to work hard in the UK, be bone idol & lazy and you get rewarded very well, those that work hard in the UK get just get a little bit of pocket money left over to spend after the taxman's tax raped you. MMMmm freedom to drive?

You're supposed to live on root vegetables and grains - barley, oats, spelt, rice, winter wheat (archeologist have brought still edible grains thousands of years old out of the pyramids in Egypt) - as well as fish and game animals during the winter. Raisins are higher in potassium than bananas, they will keep all winter, and you can grow them locally. Apples will keep a good long time and, after all, we do have canning technology. Apple sauce? Berry preserves? There's pickles (you can pickle almost any vegetable), sauerkraut.... Chickens lay eggs all year, right? Fish, game, .... jerky, sausages, bacon ....... Wouldn't winter ice cream sweetened with honey from your own hives and flavored with blackberry preserves be great? Then, imagine how good fresh strawberries and raspberries would taste come Summer! Green Beans, Peas, Lettuces...... Come to think of it, let's throw away the fridge too. You overstate the need for transport. Here: LINK is what people in your part of the country were eating in colonial times. Wendell Berry is an articulate spokesman for regional values.

p.s. As proof that I actually am able to change my mind (just hasn't happened since 2000): as a college student, I was a critic of Berry's ideas, which I thought were flawed. Ensuing years and events have brought me around. Maybe not all the way around, but I now see the validity of his ideas. As a matter of fact, I think we need some long distance transportation capacity and commercial infrastructure in place as a hedge against periodic localized famines that used to plague the world. On the other hand, when somebody in Chicago forgets to wash their hands at the packaged salad factory and people in 43 states come down with e-coli within 3 days, it is clear we are out on a limb. It's all about balance. There is no balance in our world, just a push toward gigantism and global monoculture. Not healthy. Also, I just don't need strawberries from Chile in February. I really don't. Strawberry shortcake is a Summer food and still, I find, much more enjoyable that way.

There is nothing wrong with people wanting to eat local food, if they so chose. Where I draw the line is artificially forcing up the price of fruits and vegetables because we supposedly aren't paying the cost of transporation. This will have unintended consequences, particularly regarding the health of the poor, who benefit the most from inexpensive fruits and vegetables available on a year-round basis.

Local fruits and vegetables DO taste better. I agree with you 100 percent on that score. But, that must be balanced against the desire for a more varied menu that includes bananas, oranges and strawberries and blueberries throughout the year. That is one of the advantages of modern life, much like indoor plumbing and convenient transportation.

Canning fruits and vegetables is wonderful if you enjoy that activity. As I've explained before, my wife did that as a girl in the 1980s on her grandparent's farm. It is hard, tiring work that basically takes weeks to perform properly and ensure an adequate supply of fruits, vegetables and meat throughout the winter. It is one thing to spend several prime weeks of summer slaving over a blazing stove (required to sterilize the jars) as a hobby...it's another to do it as a necessity.

The rate of food borne illnesses has declined dramatically throughout the 20th century, and a large part is because people no longer obtain their foods directly from small family farms or local grocers (who went to the family farm and thus served as a middleman). People - particularly in the cities - bought and ate food that would barely be considered fit for consumption today. And they got sick a lot more frequently from food poisoning and other food-borne diseases than we do today.

The colonial diet (beer for breakfast - that should be popular on some campuses!) is heavy on salted and fatty foods - and that is what the wealthier people ate. Poor people of that era subsisted on skimpy fare that would be considered barely above starvation levels today. This is reflected in the lower life expectancies and much higher rate of infant mortality at that time as compared to today. The article also notes the varied selection available in colonial Philadelphia - which was limited to the rich and upper-middle class - but it was shipped in from the countryside by horse-drawn wagon. Which was the most advanced land-based transportation technology of the day. As we built canals, and then railroads, and then interstate highways, and also improved aviation and perfected refrigeration techniques, we have been able to expand the feasible transport distance for food. That, to me, is progress, much like the fact that we no longer have to chop wood to stay warm in the winter, suffer with stifling heat in the summer, or limit our social and shopping circles to places accessible by horse (prior to the advent of the Model T, 94 percent of all Americans had never ventured more than 20 miles from their place of birth).

Edited by grbeck

Huh????

It's bad enough Mark pretended to go to Law School, please don't pretend that you went to business school.

Whether they list the freight cost on the invoice (like a vehicle's MSRP sticker), or bury it in the final price, a freight factor is always included in the price of the goods. Do you actually believe companies just "eat" that cost?

Based on his posts, I'm 100 percent certain that Mark successfully completed law school. At any rate, I'm not seeing where questioning him on his education credentials undermines the credibility of his posts...

Based on his posts, I'm 100 percent certain that Mark successfully completed law school. At any rate, I'm not seeing where questioning him on his education credentials undermines the credibility of his posts...

I am not convinced either way, although creedence is given by the fact that congress is filled almost totally with lawyers from both partys, and they all seem to sound like him.

Just yanking your chain Mark, and if you are a lawyer, I think that is spectacular. Be extremely successful at it, and when you are and the government calls you an evil rich bast***, you will be more inclined to feel our pain. (OMG, I gotta quit reading this stuff, I sound like Bill Clinstone)

do you actually read what people write before ripping on them?

You have the grammar skills of Joe Biden. I read your post a number of times when I responded, and again today, and it's so flawed is is difficult to understand what you are saying. If I interpreted it the wrong way, then it is possible my response was flawed.

Having said that, most companies use the same freight factor, no matter where they are shipping to. That's why it costs the same amount of money to ship a Crown Vic to San Diego, as it does to London, Ont. Companies might lose money on one shipment, but more than make up for it on others. It's up to Logistics to figure out what those prices are. The only way to eliminate the need to pay that factor, is to go to the source your self. Go get your food directly from the farmer. Once he sells it to his distributor, then the freight factor will be included. Whether that tomato ends up in the grocery store around the corner, or in the next State.

Don't pay any attention to him. I won't until he proves he's not a dittohead posting from his mom's basement in his Star Wars footed PJs.

Mark, you are a self proclaimed middle age man, with no female companion, no children, have said you don't find Sarah Palin attractive, and spends a lot of time on message boards. You should be very careful with your assumptions of others.

Completing Law School, and being a lawyer are two different things in my books.

As far as undermining the credibility, well, if you are willing to lie about one thing, then what else are you willing to lie about? If my memory serves me correctly, then Mark has tried using his self proclaimed profession to imply that he knows more than us lowly autoworkers, and that his opinion must be correct since he is a lawyer.

I just can't figure out how a self proclaimed successful lawyer can spend so mush time on a automotive based message board. I would be pretty pissed if I found out I was being charged the going rate for a lawyer, just to find out he was trolling around BON.

You have the grammar skills of Joe Biden. I read your post a number of times when I responded, and again today, and it's so flawed is is difficult to understand what you are saying. If I interpreted it the wrong way, then it is possible my response was flawed.

Having said that, most companies use the same freight factor, no matter where they are shipping to. That's why it costs the same amount of money to ship a Crown Vic to San Diego, as it does to London, Ont. Companies might lose money on one shipment, but more than make up for it on others. It's up to Logistics to figure out what those prices are. The only way to eliminate the need to pay that factor, is to go to the source your self. Go get your food directly from the farmer. Once he sells it to his distributor, then the freight factor will be included. Whether that tomato ends up in the grocery store around the corner, or in the next State.

Mark, you are a self proclaimed middle age man, with no female companion, no children, have said you don't find Sarah Palin attractive, and spends a lot of time on message boards. You should be very careful with your assumptions of others.

Are you spying on me Cocheese? Probably not. While I am divorced, I am not lacking for female companionship. I have 3 step sons. No kids of my own due to the fact that I married late to a woman who already had 3 children. I don't find Sarah Palin attractive but I think Tina Fey is really hot.

Completing Law School, and being a lawyer are two different things in my books.

As far as undermining the credibility, well, if you are willing to lie about one thing, then what else are you willing to lie about? If my memory serves me correctly, then Mark has tried using his self proclaimed profession to imply that he knows more than us lowly autoworkers, and that his opinion must be correct since he is a lawyer.

I don't believe that autoworkers as a group are less smart than lawyers or anyone else. My criticism of you should not be applied to anyone else on this board.

I just can't figure out how a self proclaimed successful lawyer can spend so mush time on a automotive based message board. I would be pretty pissed if I found out I was being charged the going rate for a lawyer, just to find out he was trolling around BON.

One of the benefits of self employment is that I make my own schedule.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

I said this:

my point is not that cost of transportation isn't factored into the price of goods, but that it could be a good thing if that cost went up in such a way to encourage us to support our local producers more often rather than being easily enticed to buy things from the other side of the planet

If you can't understand that, then i think you need to expand your reading beyond the realm of internet forums, blogs, and automotive magazines. Is a double negative a bit too much for you to wrap your head around?

Hmm.......

Editor, Daily News:

Until I read Jack Tymanns guest essay, I thought the $4.94 gasoline price had absorbed every available erg of popular anger.

Tymanns defense of the oil companies should warrant an explosion of outrage.

Unfortunately, here in Naples we appear to have an acquiescent and oblivious public. In Florida and across the nation it is inevitable that there will be a public revolt. Nationalizing the oil industry abolishes the economic power of the oil companies. It will enable the government to provide for the common welfare. Presently the oil companies are exploiting the people and their profits seem like thievery.

The oil companies constitute a clear and present danger to democracy and must be put under state control. Nationalizing the oil companies means hiring managers at fair salaries, not the average

$10 million annually for each CEO. Take the profits and revenues from their private pockets and use them for the public good. Use their profits to pay teachers and provide for state budget health-care needs.

Make the oil companies non-polluting energy resources to deal with global warming. Now they are responsible for the destruction of the environment and the reason for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the militarism of this country.

Some will rage socialism or worse. But nationalization is in the tradition of democratic and capitalistic countries everywhere.

H.H. Hermann

As we all know, nationalizing the oil companies and taking the profits and revenues from their private pockets is in the tradition of democratic and capitalistic countries everywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3I-PVVowFY

Edited by RangerM