MK Naming convention straight from the horse's mouth

Many of you have shown interest in the MK naming convention, so here is a littlemore information about how and why it was developed.The "MK" was born out of an abbreviation of Lincoln's long product heritage with the Mark Series. The names were reinvented after the roman numerals started to get too high (Mark VII, etc).In order to retain Lincoln's "mark" of excellence, the MK was kept as a tribute to our luxury heritage.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150170850062982.312282.45839622981

There is a town outside of Pittsburgh called North Versailles The local pronunciation is Ver Sales. I always thought it was funny that no one here said the name correctly.

Same thing here in central Missouri without the 'North'...us hicks don't know the fancy French pronunciation though! :hysterical:

There is a town outside of Pittsburgh called North Versailles The local pronunciation is Ver Sales. I always thought it was funny that no one here said the name correctly.

Kind of like here in CA.

Manteca - often pronounced incorrectly as Man-Tee-ka. Proper Spanish is similar to Mahn-teh-ca. Umm, it means "lard" in Spanish.

Vallejo, CA. Proper - Vah-ley-ho. Improper - Valet-Jo

Los Angeles - Proper - Los Ahn-hell-les. Improper - Los An-Gel-es.

South Dakota has Pierre (peer) and Sinai (Sigh-knee-eye)

---

However, it's a mistake to assert that any of these names are pronounced 'wrong' (whether it's the above or New Maaaadrid, Pay-ru, or Kay-ro, or House-ton Street in New York City or Hew-ston Texas, or Texas instead of 'tay-has').

Fundamentally, the residents are free to call their city/state/locale whatever they please--taking whatever liberties they choose with the pronunciation.

Would one insist that a man named David pronounce his name Dah-veed, since that's the proper Hebrew pronunciation?

Should I pronounce my name with the Continental long i and the soft 'sh' seen in French, or the velar 'k' seen in German? Or can I pronounce it the way I've always pronounced it---e.g. the 'incorrect' way?

Edited by RichardJensen

There's one city next to me, "Altamonte Springs", many will say "Alta-mont"..., so when I pronounce it correctly they look at me funny. Some years ago I went to see some homes in an exclusive community called "Alaqua"...A-la-qua", but they pronounce it without any accents or emphansize on any vows. So the sales person tried to correct me and I'm like "Hm Have you noticed how all the exclusive communities in this county are named after Indians? I mean, we came in, actually did something with the land, killed most of them, now we honor them with naming our prestigious communities after them? Wekiva, Timacuan, Tuskawilla, Alaqua, honestly?".

Then there's one neighborhood I have some rentals on which I get a crack out of. It's Called Domerich Estates and all the names are named after indian tribes. Right across the street is English Estate, where all the street names are of English towns. Wonder if the developer thought that thru...

• 1 month later...

My company upshiftcreative.com does naming and branding. The MK-whatever is too confusing and not memorable enough to most consumers. It is also not marketed as "Mark-whatever" in any ads. I agree that Lincoln should not return to names (Town Car, Versailles, etc.). They should instead develop meaningful alphanumerics-- BMW and AUDI do this best.

Were I'm from and work. Mark in this case is noted as a 'Mk.'. That would probably confuse the crap out of people. I missed the Roman Numerals but it probably wouldn't work anymore. As for pronunciations, I still use the 'Zee' for the MKZ opposed to the 'Zed' here in 'Kanata'.

Reminds me of a little town in western PA near my hometown. It has two names. La Jose and Newburg. The locals pronounce the first as Lay Joss. I grew up calling it that too. I never knew there was a different pronunciation until my first year of Spanish in high school. :hysterical:

Its like that "hair designer", Jose Eber... it's really "Ho-Say", but he pronounces it "Joe-say", like really? Although I dont see how La Jose makes any sense..Jose is male, and La is female, I would check out it's history a bit to see how they arrived at that name. I get a kick when a developer names a subdivision with some italian or spanish name on it which doesnt mean anything at all. Costa Verde (Green Coast), next to a prarie). Lago Grande (big lake)-there's none in the whole area. etc.

Well, my folks get MKZ and MKS mixed up. They have friends with an MKZ and liked a Town Car they rented. When I was explaining that the MKS is now the top of the line, they couldnt see why have names so similar.

I still say Versailles is dippy, but I'm over MK now.