Thinking about buying a Thunderbird

Hey everyone. I've been thinking lately about selling my 2001 ZX2 and buying a 1997 Thunderbird LX with the 3.8L V6. I was just wondering what people on here thought about the MN12 Thunderbirds, as I've yet to actually drive one. My father has a 1988 and I always loved his, so I was thinking about making the change and selling my ZX2 to buy a '96 or '97 Thunderbird, mainly for the more comfortable ride and timeless looks.

Is there anything I should be aware of with these cars? Or any possible pitfalls of "going back in time" with vehicle ownership? Was considering either this Thunderbird or a new Focus.

• 2 weeks later...

The ZX2 always hit me as a 3/4 version of the T-Bird! I always hoped Ford would've at least offered a GT version with a larger engine, bigger wheels and tires, driving lights, a spoiler, etc.

As for the MN12, I've always loved those cars and wished I could've afforded a new SC or a Sport or maybe the Cougar XR-7. I actually test drove a used V8 powered 1998 LX a few years back but was disappointed by the lack of low end torque. I rented a V6 model back in 1990 and it was worse. The other thing is I have so rarely seen them in good shape now that they are several years old. They just don't hold up cosmetically as they always seem to have badly faded paint, body rust, chaulky black trim, windshield trim that's pulled away, cracked dash and leather seats, etc. You'd be very lucky to find one in good shape, in my experience. I hope you're lucky!

• 1 year later...

I owned a 94 SC with a 5 speed for 10 years, loved every minute of it. I wish I never sold it, but I didn't have the room for it. My car was very reliable and was fairly cheap to repair. Be aware that some parts are impossible to get now.

Try posting in the www.sccoa.com forums for all the info you will ever need.

Edited by jmacd27