Ford Unveils 2013 Taurus

I see a similarity with Toyota Highlander's front end headlight/grill shape. The 2010 Taurus looked more like Camry headlights. LOL I also noticed that the clunky, plastic paddle shifters are gone now. The new shifter appears to have the +/- button on the side. On the SHO they have more typical +/- metallic paddle shifters.

post-20193-0-01593400-1303279279_thumb.jpg

Edited by hbalek

I'm still stunned they unveiled a redesign so soon, the car was already so fresh to begin with...but then again this debut is way too early so that is skewing the timing. Ironically, the changes I was expecting didn't happen, the interior is largely carried over.

Why is it skewing the timing?

Keep in mind that the '10 Taurus was pulled ahead a year or more ahead...the orginal 500 came out in 2004, the refreshed 500/Taurus in 2007 then the all new Taurus in 2009..and now we have the 2013 which will be out in 2012.

If anything, this is a good sign that we'll finally have a sedan based (instead of CUV) Taurus in 2014 or so on the CD4 platform...a year or two after the new Fusion.

Why is it skewing the timing?

Keep in mind that the '10 Taurus was pulled ahead a year or more ahead...the orginal 500 came out in 2004, the refreshed 500/Taurus in 2007 then the all new Taurus in 2009..and now we have the 2013 which will be out in 2012.

If anything, this is a good sign that we'll finally have a sedan based (instead of CUV) Taurus in 2014 or so on the CD4 platform...a year or two after the new Fusion.

This is a 2013 product, so it won't be on sale until January 2012, that's a very early debut for a MCE.

This is a 2013 product, so it won't be on sale until January 2012, that's a very early debut for a MCE.

That's only 7 to 8 months away. Besides, where else would they show it between now & then? This is the last "big" show in the US until the LA show. That would be too late to "debut" a car that will be sold in January..

Um the 500/Taurus did the same thing...so whats your point?

2005 500 became the 2008 Taurus, which was out in 2007....

The 2008 Taurus debuted 5 months ahead of its sale date. The 2013 Taurus debuted 8-12 months ahead of its sale date.

Meh, looks like the '13 Malibu from the front. :stirpot:

All kidding aside, I like this a lot. When does the next Fusion show up now? My Flex lease is up next July and this or the Fusion will be a nice replacement if gas isn't $7 a gallon by then.

Last I heard it would be LA or NAIAS for the Fusion, being on sale mid 2012 as a 2013 model... but it's been a while since I've heard anything. Also, the MKZ was supposed to be the first CD4 model to debut, and that's been pushed back a bit.

My thoughts. It's okay, but nothing special.

Think the nose went the wrong way in execution. I much prefer the front clip of the current model. As for the LED tails, I'm not feeling them. I do like LED lights alot, especially Audi and a few other makes I've seen rolling around. I just do not find this particular LED setup to be appealing. The interior still looks good, if not slightly improved. And always good to see the power improvements and now the 4cylinder EB coming along.

Overall, the power-train and interior look to be improved, but the exterior style has taken a step in the wrong direction.

Edited by V8-X

Big, solid, safe cars.....nice that they are getting a refresh. Ecoboost might be spot-on considering fuel prices, too. A few things concern or disturb me however: not fond of the wheels on the SHO, MyFord instrument panel has the LCD screen....an analog-look tach would be nice (especially on SHO), and read lots of complaints about the center console hump intruding on peoples right legs on the '10 design...looks unchanged. Overall, think the Taurus is much better than people give it credit for, like that it's made in the USA (Chicago),and hope for the best with the '13!

I'm surprised they are announcing the expansion of the 2.0: EcoBoost on the D platform when they still have not released that powertrain on the Explorer.

I talked to at least one engineer who had driven a 2.0L Explorer. He was extremely "underwhelmed".

Funny, I remember reading something not long ago from a car rag that got to preview the 2.0EB Edge and came away impressed. I can't imagine the Explorer is that much different.

Maybe its just because I was used to the old setup, but the new centre stack and steering wheel look wayyy out of place. Especially when paired with the light stone interior.

I can agree with that assessment, though like you it's probably just because I'm used to the old version.

Funny, I remember reading something not long ago from a car rag that got to preview the 2.0EB Edge and came away impressed. I can't imagine the Explorer is that much different.

I think whoever's point was that they're being used in heavier vehicles than the Edge in the Explorer and Taurus, which will I'm sure affect performance.

I'm surprised they are announcing the expansion of the 2.0: EcoBoost on the D platform when they still have not released that powertrain on the Explorer.

I talked to at least one engineer who had driven a 2.0L Explorer. He was extremely "underwhelmed".

Agreed! Where the heck is that motor anyway?

I agree with most everyone else, it's not bad, but.. "meh". The attempt to trapezoid the grill like the kinetic designs looks kind of half asses to me. I do like the design of the inside of the SHO grill, but still looks strange the way they outlined it.

Its a mystery engine...again, another product that is to receive the engine, but still nothing much has come to light. Do we know the reasons why it's being held up? I mean, is it a blunder where the FE it's putting out isnt worth the extra hassle? Is it becomes components for it are scarce? Is some of it being shipped from Japan or something ?

Given that its only been on the market for less then 6 months...WTF do you expect?

What was he expecting? A carbon copy of the 3.5L performance?

If anything it should offer performance like the 4L did in the Explorer...nothing out of this world, but power to get out of its own way. Its already putting out more HP then the 3L V6 did in the Freestyle did less then 5 years ago...which I never heard called "underpowered"

• Like 1

It's starting to appear that Ford is delaying the 2.0L EB engine. It was suppose to be installed in the JOB 2 Edge, but the engine is nowhere to be found.

You are correct BORG. The current list of production holds for Ford products states "2.0L EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine (999) has been cancelled for 2011 model year" (for the Explorer).

Edited by aneekr