2011 F150 Platinum PAINT COLOR concerns

firesapple

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to place an order for a 2011 F-150 Platinum 4x2, EcoBoost 3.55, 6.5 box with Navi/Sunroof, but I just read that Ford will STOP accepting orders for the Candy Red and Tuxedo Black due to the earthquake in Japan. This leaves me with ONLY three other colors to choose from (Bronze, Grey and Platinum White), of which I really do not like. Maybe the Platinum White but that adds a $495 upgrade :(

What do you guys see happening with this issue? Is Ford going to add other colors to the Platinum, maybe waive the $495 upgrade for the Platinum white? They risk customers like me not buying a truck cause the of limited choices in paint colors.

If it is that big of a concern with the additional cost of the pearl white, try to negotiate that with the dealer.

I have not heard when production will resume, but I have been keeping an eye on it just because it affects us quite a bit in the refinish field too. Well, on a different level but still it's obviously a pretty big concern.

If it is that big of a concern with the additional cost of the pearl white, try to negotiate that with the dealer.

I have not heard when production will resume, but I have been keeping an eye on it just because it affects us quite a bit in the refinish field too. Well, on a different level but still it's obviously a pretty big concern.

The problem is also the fact that I'm purchasing the truck with the X-Plan, so how can the dealer waive or negotiate the added cost of the Platinum White color ???

The problem is also the fact that I'm purchasing the truck with the X-Plan, so how can the dealer waive or negotiate the added cost of the Platinum White color ???

They can't, unless they give it to you in extra trade-in allowance or free dealer accessories. But I doubt the dealer would do this - Ford isn't waving their fee and $500 would significantly impact the dealer's profit.

They can't, unless they give it to you in extra trade-in allowance or free dealer accessories. But I doubt the dealer would do this - Ford isn't waving their fee and $500 would significantly impact the dealer's profit.

I guess they would lose a sale then, cause I will not settle to a color that I do not like. This is not the consumers fault. I also understand that its not Ford fault neither, but they will have to compromise for a less profit or come up with other solutions if they really want to sell trucks. From my understanding, this affects many other models as well. at the end, ford employees also lose out.

Edited by firesapple

Maybe the Platinum White but that adds a $495 upgrade :(

The Red Candy was a $395 upgrade.

Anyway, if you can wait until later in the year, the plant in Japan that produces the pigment will be back online. I think they got into the plant earlier this month and are working to get it back up.

Edited by Pioneer

The Red Candy was a $395 upgrade.

Anyway, if you can wait until later in the year, the plant in Japan that produces the pigment will be back online. I think they got into the plant earlier this month and are working to get it back up.

Red Candy is also affected on this issue. It contains the same pigment.

I guess they would lose a sale then, cause I will not settle to a color that I do not like. This is not the consumers fault. I also understand that its not Ford fault neither, but they will have to compromise for a less profit or come up with other solutions if they really want to sell trucks. From my understanding, this affects many other models as well. at the end, ford employees also lose out.

And they'll simply sell that vehicle to someone else who is willing to pay for it.

I know that. I just found it hypocritical that you are complaining about the upcharge on the Platinum White but not the Red Candy.

Not hypocritical, I just dont like Red..... if I'm paying 40K + for a truck, wouldn't you make sure you get a color that you like? I like Tuxedo Black and I can deal with the White also. But not willing to pay for something that not my fault.

Not hypocritical, I just dont like Red..... if I'm paying 40K + for a truck, wouldn't you make sure you get a color that you like? I like Tuxedo Black and I can deal with the White also. But not willing to pay for something that not my fault.

I totally agree with getting exactly what you want. That is why I special order all of my vehicles if my dealer can't find it.

Like I said, the plant that produces the pigment is being worked on as we type. If you want Tuxedo Black, which I love also (we have a 2011 Tuxedo Black Escape on order), then you can get it later on in the year. You might just have to wait a little longer for it.

If you're not willing to pay for the colors that are available - go buy something else.

Look at it from the dealer's standpoint. Every potential F150 buyer could come in and say 'I was going to buy Tuxedo Black but since that's not available you'll have to give me a discount on White Platinum Tri-Coat - or whatever color they really wanted.

Edited by akirby

My understanding is that Ford may be offering an alternate black to the tuxedo black (if and once it's not available) for F150's. As I understand, it's already showing up as an option on the order blanks. You could ask your dealer to take a look.

Hey guys,

I'm getting ready to place an order for a 2011 F-150 Platinum 4x2, EcoBoost 3.55, 6.5 box with Navi/Sunroof, but I just read that Ford will STOP accepting orders for the Candy Red and Tuxedo Black due to the earthquake in Japan. This leaves me with ONLY three other colors to choose from (Bronze, Grey and Platinum White), of which I really do not like. Maybe the Platinum White but that adds a $495 upgrade :(

What do you guys see happening with this issue? Is Ford going to add other colors to the Platinum, maybe waive the $495 upgrade for the Platinum white? They risk customers like me not buying a truck cause the of limited choices in paint colors.

Talk to the dealer about searching for one in Black.. It's probably popular on the Platinum as well as the options you want.

The complaint kind of floors me. Darn you Ford, for not painting my vehicle with radioactive paint pigment. I wanted to glow at night. I mean what are they going to do about it? They are not the only manufacturer gong through this, and please name a manufacturer that is giving discounts. Also, you are getting X Plan, you know they do not discount off of that.

Yes it is your money and you can go buy that Chevy or Dodge. But clearly you wanted the Ford, not just because of the color. You wanted a Ford Truck because of what it is, an excellent vehicle. If you wanted a Black Chevy or Dodge, you would have went there first.

I am not trying to flame you, but seriously, the argument is, well just kind of does not make a lot of sense to me.

The complaint kind of floors me. Darn you Ford, for not painting my vehicle with radioactive paint pigment. I wanted to glow at night. I mean what are they going to do about it? They are not the only manufacturer gong through this, and please name a manufacturer that is giving discounts. Also, you are getting X Plan, you know they do not discount off of that.

Yes it is your money and you can go buy that Chevy or Dodge. But clearly you wanted the Ford, not just because of the color. You wanted a Ford Truck because of what it is, an excellent vehicle. If you wanted a Black Chevy or Dodge, you would have went there first.

I am not trying to flame you, but seriously, the argument is, well just kind of does not make a lot of sense to me.

Sure it makes sense !!!! Especially when you are spending 40K plus and not getting what you really want. Unfortunately or fortunate, I have to place an order because I want specifics that are difficult to find (for example: 6.5 box with an EcoBoost).... not many if any out there. It make soooo much sense to me, that I'm waiting to see what alternatives Ford comes out with in the next month or so. There is nothing worse then spending money on something that you will look at everyday and not be 100% happy. Its like a marriage...... you just dont settle for whatever is out there, unless of course you are desperate.

Sure it makes sense !!!! Especially when you are spending 40K plus and not getting what you really want. Unfortunately or fortunate, I have to place an order because I want specifics that are difficult to find (for example: 6.5 box with an EcoBoost).... not many if any out there. It make soooo much sense to me, that I'm waiting to see what alternatives Ford comes out with in the next month or so. There is nothing worse then spending money on something that you will look at everyday and not be 100% happy. Its like a marriage...... you just dont settle for whatever is out there, unless of course you are desperate.

So make up your mind. Are you going to hold out for whatever color you want or do you want the dealer to give you a discount on another color which is what you originally implied.

Sounds like you're willing to not be 100% happy if the dealer waves the $495 fee. Which is it?