What would you want in a future Bronco?

probowler

So, lets say Ford finally grew some balls, and decided to take a stab at Jeep and compete in the off-road 4x4 market. Lets say it was a new Bronco, what would you want that to be?

First and foremost, as I've probably implied, its first, and primary role should be off-road capability.

Second, It should be cheap, and easy to mod and repair.

Third, it should be smaller. While I LOVE my FullSize Bronco, I think shrinking it down would be necessary, not only for navigating trails better, but for todays higher gas prices and CAFE standards. Either like the original, or maybe the Bronco 2 would be about right. The Escape as it currently is is probably the right size. Hell, I might settle for a 2-door bronco version of the escape if it was a bit beefier.

Fourth, I think they should make it cheap. Manual windows, door locks (though I don't know how well this would sell)

Featurewise,

-Built-in radio/CB

-easily romovable top and doors

-navigation computer, with some kind of trail software so owners could share trail maps with eachother.

-factory winch?

-Locking diff

-weatherproof interior? Maybe similarto to the desert excursion concept?

dexcursion5.jpg

dexcursion5.jpg

A newer idea I had, was maybe some kind of air-ride suspension. Lowers the car for city and free-way driving, and with the push of a button, raises the truck to hit the mud.

• 4 weeks later...

So, lets say Ford finally grew some balls, and decided to take a stab at Jeep and compete in the off-road 4x4 market. Lets say it was a new Bronco, what would you want that to be?

First and foremost, as I've probably implied, its first, and primary role should be off-road capability.

Second, It should be cheap, and easy to mod and repair.

Third, it should be smaller. While I LOVE my FullSize Bronco, I think shrinking it down would be necessary, not only for navigating trails better, but for todays higher gas prices and CAFE standards. Either like the original, or maybe the Bronco 2 would be about right. The Escape as it currently is is probably the right size. Hell, I might settle for a 2-door bronco version of the escape if it was a bit beefier.

Fourth, I think they should make it cheap. Manual windows, door locks (though I don't know how well this would sell)

Featurewise,

-Built-in radio/CB

-easily romovable top and doors

-navigation computer, with some kind of trail software so owners could share trail maps with eachother.

-factory winch?

-Locking diff

-weatherproof interior? Maybe similarto to the desert excursion concept?

dexcursion5.jpg

dexcursion5.jpg

A newer idea I had, was maybe some kind of air-ride suspension. Lowers the car for city and free-way driving, and with the push of a button, raises the truck to hit the mud.

If they were to build on I would want it rear drive based and it should have front and rear e-lockers with independent control of them.

Some type of communications between vehicles that is common. Doesn't have to be a CB (but would be nice for range) but many a GMRS radio system. Also a built in Weather radio..B

I work communication for the military and work with new systems coming on line. Ford If you wanna drop a line for inputs I am available..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I loved my 87 Bronco-II. The 91 Explorer that replaced it had more room, but was just not as fun. Mid-life crisis...want my Bronco-II back :) Something more like a traditional "jeep"...a little more refined, fun, and most importantly with a Blue Oval!!

• 1 month later...

They can't build it.

Tough and simple, few features, more options, not "packages" that load crap on it I never use.

Little computer control in the engine (told you they couldn't build it) so home mechanics can work on it. Simple V-8 motor. Manual Transmission available.

Durable, easy to work on, interior. Limit hidden screws and latches. Lots of aftermarket goodies.

Solid axles, simple suspension setup. Assume it is going to sell to people more interested in off-road-ability than highway ride. Do not market to the crowd that buys the Edge, we have one of those. Two doors, seats five only, high stance. This has worked for Jeep for almost 100 years. We have station wagon replacements, nothing is being offered to people who do not want those.

They will never make this vehicle. My setup calls for a vehicle that combines 60's simplicity combined with 2010 reliability. This is not a vehicle that can have 10000 electronic nannies on it. It requires a driver that quits texting and focuses at least part of their attention on DRIVING the vehicle. Its also a vehicle that doesn't require a million dollars in computers to diagnosis.

Like I said, they can't and won't build this vehicle. You can get it in India or South America, but not here.