Family van busts out of the mold

Ford Motor Co. has given the green light to the Fairlane, a new "people mover" designed to replace the company's poorly performing minivans, according to sources familiar with the project.

They are just now approving it??!? Hopefully this old news and it is further along than that. Ford needs a people mover to replace the outdated Freestar ASAP! Anybody know if this and the Lincoln "People Movers" are further along than what it says here?

They are just now approving it??!? Hopefully this old news and it is further along than that. Ford needs a people mover to replace the outdated Freestar ASAP! Anybody know if this and the Lincoln "People Movers" are further along than what it says here?

I know a designer at Ford and they have been working on the people mover for the past 6 months or more... how far along it is I don't know....

well...they work on it and present a production version and then the beancounters approve it.

at least that is how I understand it (e.g. Challenger will be approved in the fall for 2008 production)

Igor

I thought this was one of the fore-gone conclusions in the Ford product portfolio. If they started working on it 6 months ago or more, then they would have it ready by next fall if the GPDS stuff is matured to the point that they're hitting their 18 month goal. I heard they were at like 27 months with Fusion and less with Edge, but gettting it cut all the way to 18 months is FAST!!! Hopefully they started in January and it'll be done in October or November 07... 20-21 months.

Well Ford started working on the S197 stang in 1999, and had it pretty much as it was going to look by 01. When the auto show version in 03 came out, Ford was still 'considering' the idea...They just need to rebody the Freestyle, how long can this take? By the time Ford comes out with it, DCX will already have a version to the market with a Hemi...:P

Edited by kevinb120